Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Huet needs consistent playing time to get it going, but the Hawks can't afford to do that right now.

I think something has to be done here sooner rather than later, especially if they still want Sundin.

Yes, it's time to part ways with Khabibulin.

Avery suspended indefinitley.

NEW YORK (CP) -- Super-pest Sean Avery of the Dallas Stars has been suspended indefinitely by the NHL for conduct "detrimental to the league or game of hockey," the NHL announced today.

The league imposed the ban "following inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game made by Avery earlier (Tuesday)."

The NHL did not elaborate on the remarks but Avery, in Calgary for a game Tuesday night, turned heads by seeking out a camera and making comments apparently about Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf's private life.

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary. I love Canada," the Stars forward said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds.

"I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

Phaneuf is dating Canadian actress Elisha Cuthbert, who once went out with Avery.

The ban is indefinite pending a hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman.

per sportingnews.com

I'm curious how the NHL can freaking suspend the guy for saying something that high schoolers say? You allow fighting in your game, bloodied men screaming at the stands after pummeling one another, but he can't say "sloppy seconds"?

ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME!?

It's Steve Larmer Heritage Night tonight.

I don't know if you guys will like this comparison, but I always likened Ryne Sandberg to Larmer - quiet, professional, never a showboat, always solid and reliable as a player. You knew what you got with Gramps, and he was really good for a long time with the Hawks. It's a damn shame he had to get his Stanley Cup with the goddamned Rangers instead of getting one here.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
I'm curious how the NHL can freaking suspend the guy for saying something that high schoolers say? You allow fighting in your game, bloodied men screaming at the stands after pummeling one another, but he can't say "sloppy seconds"?

I have to agree. Avery seems like a first class jerk and I don't like him, but to suspend a guy indefinitely for a comment like that is going way overboard, and most people would agree if they weren't blinded by their hate for Avery IMO.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Anyone still want Avery on their team?

He is not the guy you love when he's on your team. He's just a piece of s***, end of story.

Thank you. I live here, and I love hockey, but there's no way I'm paying a f***ing dime to this organization while this turd is on the roster. That's how bad I hate him.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Thank you. I live here, and I love hockey, but there's no way I'm paying a f***ing dime to this organization while this turd is on the roster. That's how bad I hate him.

I think it's likely they could buy him out now though, and his NHL Career could be over after this.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
I have to agree. Avery seems like a first class jerk and I don't like him, but to suspend a guy indefinitely for a comment like that is going way overboard, and most people would agree if they weren't blinded by their hate for Avery IMO.

How did MLB handle Ozzie calling Jaybird a f**? Did he get suspended or just fined and sentenced to sensitivity training?

BTW, the suspension is only "indefinite" through today, as the jagoff is meeting with Bettman this morning (12/4).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)

Of course those high schoolers arent representing a professional organization, a city and a franchise when they make sexually suggestive comments. They also arent making them on TV in front of a million people. They were 100 percent correct in their actions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
Of course those high schoolers arent representing a professional organization, a city and a franchise when they make sexually suggestive comments. They also arent making them on TV in front of a million people. They were 100 percent correct in their actions.

A couple of things (1) the television studio does not need to air that if the comments are that offensive as I assume it was not on live tv (I could be wrong) but why put a dolt like that on live tv and (2) a fine is sufficent here as it is in poor taste but the hit on Aaron Johnson is a tad bit more of an issue than that as well as otehrs taking a run at a guy.

I'm torn on the Avery suspension. I guess the part that I'm not sure about is the "indefinite" tag. If you think he disgraced the league, make a judgment on what you think that's worth and give him X amount of games. At least that way we have something to compare it to and then we can debate whether what Avery said is less or more egregious than what other players have said or done.

I think a league fine and a team suspension would have been the way to go on this, but even then I don't think this merits a very long suspension. Just enough to dent his pocket along with the fine and send a message that "thinking before speaking = you keep your cash".

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
A couple of things (1) the television studio does not need to air that if the comments are that offensive as I assume it was not on live tv (I could be wrong) but why put a dolt like that on live tv and (2) a fine is sufficent here as it is in poor taste but the hit on Aaron Johnson is a tad bit more of an issue than that as well as otehrs taking a run at a guy.

Yeah, im sure the TV studio wont air something that will get national airplay to project the player........

The guy made sexually suggestive comments on TV about another player and a celebrity, if the NHL didnt suspend him his team wouldve.