Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless... a sport that allows fighting can't act holier than thou when a sexually suggestive remark that most kids shouldn't understand is said. This did not merit a suspension. Dallas acting shocked that Avery did this is also a joke, they knew whom they were getting when they signed him.

This is the biggest joke I've seen since the strike ended. This is not a suspend-able offense. It should have been ignored or shown up only on blogspots. Now it's been blown way out of proportion. The Stars did nothing when Avery yelled AT FANS and their wives, but now this is something? Maybe had they taken any interest in policing him since signing him it wouldn't have even happened.

I blame the Stars, and the NHL, for making this a much bigger deal than it was.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
Regardless... a sport that allows fighting can't act holier than thou when a sexually suggestive remark that most kids shouldn't understand is said. This did not merit a suspension. Dallas acting shocked that Avery did this is also a joke, they knew whom they were getting when they signed him.

This is the biggest joke I've seen since the strike ended. This is not a suspend-able offense. It should have been ignored or shown up only on blogspots. Now it's been blown way out of proportion. The Stars did nothing when Avery yelled AT FANS and their wives, but now this is something? Maybe had they taken any interest in policing him since signing him it wouldn't have even happened.

I blame the Stars, and the NHL, for making this a much bigger deal than it was.

Well, I do think it's a cumulative thing for Avery.

He's said and done so many s***ty things that now he "has a record" and is on the league's radar.

I don't agree with that kind of thing, but I do understand it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
Of course those high schoolers arent representing a professional organization, a city and a franchise when they make sexually suggestive comments. They also arent making them on TV in front of a million people. They were 100 percent correct in their actions.

A general suspension is one thing and I'd have agreed with that, but to suspend him indefinitely seems over the top. We will have to wait and see how long he's actually suspended though to have a real idea how long the suspension is.

Avery suspended for 6 games.

What a f***ing joke the NHL and Gary Bettman have become. He shouldn't have even been fined, let alone suspended to begin with.

An Isle throws an elbow to the head of a Senator and knocks him out with a concussion for three weeks and gets 5 games. Avery says "sloppy seconds" and gets 6.

WOWWWWWW

I hate the new NHL. I wish they would turn back the clock 15 years and/or get Buttman out of office

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
I would never believe of all sports, Hockey would suspend their players over this. What a joke, PC my ass.

Agreed. I don't care how big of a jery Avery is, to suspend him 6 games over that comment is absolutely pathetic.

Btw, the Blackhawks are the "clubhouse leaders" (along with the Flyers) to acquire Mats Sundin according to the Denver Post.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2008/12/04/sundin-or-no/

I think Philadelphia and Chicago are the clubhouse leaders to land Sundin, according to my sources from the end of the bar. Vancouver has an existing offer on the table, at an astounding two years and $20 million (which would obviously be pro-rated now). But I’d place the Canucks third in the hunt at the moment.

Chicago would almost certainly have to trade one of their two big-money goalies to afford Sundin under their salary cap (Chicago currently is only about $2.6 million under), but they should be able to find a taker for either Cristobal Huet or Nik Khabibulin.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
Agreed. I don't care how big of a jery Avery is, to suspend him 6 games over that comment is absolutely pathetic.

Btw, the Blackhawks are the "clubhouse leaders" (along with the Flyers) to acquire Mats Sundin according to the Denver Post.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2008/12/04/sundin-or-no/

Thoughts?

Wow this would be incredible.

Do what you can to get Sundin, and this team becomes a contender in the West.

All depends on Huet's form over the next month I feel though.

If he can show that he can handle the load, Khabibulin should be dealt for picks / prospects.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
I'm proud that you're finally embarrassed with your obscene post totals, but you should probably confess to your priest....or Jason....

just to reiterate for anyone who does not already know.... Jason is NOT a real priest, he DOES put GHB in the communal wine, and if your ASS hurts the morning after "confession"... its YOUR own fault. Some people had to learn that the hard way.