Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Does anybody know the song the Hawks play in warm-ups? It has the lyrics "right between the eyes" in it but I can't make out other words. I tried google but it gives me 3 options for the artists- Garbage, RATT, or Scorpions...

Haven't heard the Hawks use it, but could be one of the songs off the new OffSpring CD. CBS uses it for some bball.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Does anybody know the song the Hawks play in warm-ups? It has the lyrics "right between the eyes" in it but I can't make out other words. I tried google but it gives me 3 options for the artists- Garbage, RATT, or Scorpions...

If it's the Offspring one, then the song is "You're gonna go far kid"

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
Big thanks to Sonik and Brian for the help on the song. That's it. Thanks a bunch.

As for today, Niemi looked solid. Bolland has 13 points in 6 (or 7?) games and Toews is red-hot.

Niemi managed to hold down the fort despite a few really scary moments... you really couldn't have asked for much more from a goalie making his first start in the league.

Today's game was a lot of fun to watch. Crowd was into it, and the Hawks played well.

Toews' deflection was beautiful, and Niemi was good despite some pretty obvious jitters early.

Byfuglien showed up today, he was into a lot of the physical end of things and leaned into that shot nicely for his goal.

The only bad part for me was having to switch to diet cokes after the 1st period because I had to come into work right after the game.

From HNIC

"The players are saying that there's a lot of trouble going on between Coach Q and Brian Campbell. Q doesn't think Campbell's trustworthy, Campbell thinks he should be playing other times. And the speculation is, if you want Brian Campbell, then if you make an offer to Chicago and it's the right one, you can have him."

Please, someone take him.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
From HNIC

"The players are saying that there's a lot of trouble going on between Coach Q and Brian Campbell. Q doesn't think Campbell's trustworthy, Campbell thinks he should be playing other times. And the speculation is, if you want Brian Campbell, then if you make an offer to Chicago and it's the right one, you can have him."

Please, someone take him.

I am quickly becoming more and more agreeable to this idea.

I agree with Quenneville - I really hate the mistakes and turnovers in the defensive zone.

Someone offer a good power forward or reliable faceoff guy who can score a little, please.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
And that has over 7 million in cap space available, want a defensman that is s*** defensively(sort of important)has been on 3 teams in 2 seasons, and now apparently is getting fed up with a very well respected coach.

I'm sure teams will be knocking down Tallon's door.

It only takes one.

Tallon can't be the only guy who overvalued him.

Let's play the "change of scenery" card - that has legs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
Is Campell really going to be attractive with that contract right now, and a good chance that salary cap may be going down next year? We are probably stuck with the guy.

I actually like Campbell. I think you are all very spoiled. On the Hawks you have keith, and everyone else at D. Seabrook has holes, Walk has holes, Soup has holes. He is an offensive minded d man and a pretty good one at that. You arent going to get a good return on him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
I actually like Campbell. I think you are all very spoiled. On the Hawks you have keith, and everyone else at D. Seabrook has holes, Walk has holes, Soup has holes. He is an offensive minded d man and a pretty good one at that. You arent going to get a good return on him.

Dont forget Campbell pulls at least 2 or 3 spin moves a game....no one else on the team spins like him...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)

His position is defense, and he's terrible defensively.

And he makes enough money to f*** us cap wise.

If that's spoiled, then I'm spoiled.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
Lets see how "spoiled" we are when the Hawks lose Keith to free agency because Carrot top is making 7.1 a season.

Keith isn't a FA for two more years... Dale (or whoever replaces Dale) will need to readjust accordingly. The real clunker was signing Huet, who will be here for three more years, soak up 4mil per, and provide the team with average goaltending.

Campbell is a top 10 offensive defenseman in the game. The Hawks wanted to improve their powerplay. They have.

Yes, a few years down the line this might become a pain in the ass...

One thing we have not talked about around here is how well Cam Barker has played this year and especially of late. He almost seemed like a bust no more than a year ago, now he's one of the top young offensive D-men in the league.

/jack

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Campbell is a top 10 offensive defenseman in the game. The Hawks wanted to improve their powerplay. They have.

One thing we have not talked about around here is how well Cam Barker has played this year and especially of late. He almost seemed like a bust no more than a year ago, now he's one of the top young offensive D-men in the league.

/jack

In reality it would be easier to talk about who has regressed versus who has gotten better. I wondered about it at the time, but canning Savy, and hiring Q was an incredible move.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)

/jack

I agree with you on both counts, I've also liked the progression of Walker who I thought wouldnt last very long at this level. Overall we probably need one more good defensive minded D-man to be a real good team on the back end.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
I agree with you on both counts, I've also liked the progression of Walker who I thought wouldnt last very long at this level. Overall we probably need one more good defensive minded D-man to be a real good team on the back end.

I'm actually stunned at how well Walker has played.

I thought they were getting nothing when they signed him, and he's turned out to be really steady back there.

Everyone knew that the Hawks overpaid for Campbell no doubt.

But don't forget how bad our PP has been over the past few seasons.

That's the major reason why Campbell was signed. And yeah when it comes to re-signing Keith, Kane and Toews, that contract is going to come back and bite us in the ass. But Campbell wasn't signed for that reason. He was signed for this team to be better than they were last season, and obviously that goal has been achieved.

I'm actually stunned at how well Walker has played.

I thought they were getting nothing when they signed him, and he's turned out to be really steady back there.

What ever happen to Aaron Johnson? Dude is like 3-4 years younger than Walker and had like a +20 when he was out there. Now he's nowhere to be found. I don't think he's injured.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
FWIW from the guy on Hockeybuzz that covers OTT:

"The Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, and Flordia have made serious pitchs for Vermette, and according to the Ottawa Sun, Chicago Blackhawks are leading the way.

Good on faceoffs, young, attractive... seems to fit Dale Tallon's wants/desires.