Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
It doesn't help when they have 7 penalties, including 4 double minors against them in the first 35 minutes. It's like the Canucks have razor blades in their gloves to ensure they bleed.

The Hawks have been earning all of them. That's part of the problem.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful play all around on the winning goal.

Kane should have been covering the point when Barker broke to the net hard as Kane was skating laterally, but didn't (maybe he didn't see him). I will add that it was an awful pass by Versteeg, under no pressure, right into the skates of Kane. That started the turnover. He wasn't open, and you're passing backwards with a D breaking and lots of Canucks in the slot. Just terrible by Steeger.

As for Barker, it wasn't the worst mistake to rush to the net with Versteeg with control. I have more of a problem with his backcheck, which I think will go overlooked comparatively. First off he stopped skating one stride after reaching the stanley cup playoffs logo. Then, his only concern coming back, since he will have no play in the 2 on 1, is to beat the 3rd guy to the net and be looking for the rebound to clear. He has Salo beat to the net by just a bit, then trails off towards the right post (skates over the right hash) for no apparent reason. If he skates down the middle of the ice he's got the rebound into the corner, instead he has to stop, flail and lose his balance trying to get a stick on the puck that is just barely to the left of center, and he just misses it.

Just so disappointing to lose on that type of play. 3 things went wrong to lead to the goal. OT was right there.

I guess the CBC feed had a good shot of Bowman ripping into Campbell to Tallon after the EN goal. Apparently it was a bad bounce, but puck was blocked by the boards so no one saw it.

They need to stay out the box. All those penalties were earned. Keep your stick out of people's faces.

Toews must be really hurt or sick. 13:46 of ice, not on the ice in crunch time. Consider me very worried about it.

Game plan in the zone needs to continue to be getting traffic to the net and garbage goals, 2/3 were those tonight. You aren't going to beat Luongo very often when he can square and see the shot.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
Awful play all around on the winning goal.

Kane should have been covering the point when Barker broke to the net hard as Kane was skating laterally, but didn't (maybe he didn't see him). I will add that it was an awful pass by Versteeg, under no pressure, right into the skates of Kane. That started the turnover. He wasn't open, and you're passing backwards with a D breaking and lots of Canucks in the slot. Just terrible by Steeger.

As for Barker, it wasn't the worst mistake to rush to the net with Versteeg with control. I have more of a problem with his backcheck, which I think will go overlooked comparatively. First off he stopped skating one stride after reaching the stanley cup playoffs logo. Then, his only concern coming back, since he will have no play in the 2 on 1, is to beat the 3rd guy to the net and be looking for the rebound to clear. He has Salo beat to the net by just a bit, then trails off towards the right post (skates over the right hash) for no apparent reason. If he skates down the middle of the ice he's got the rebound into the corner, instead he has to stop, flail and lose his balance trying to get a stick on the puck that is just barely to the left of center, and he just misses it.

Just so disappointing to lose on that type of play. 3 things went wrong to lead to the goal. OT was right there.

I guess the CBC feed had a good shot of Bowman ripping into Campbell to Tallon after the EN goal. Apparently it was a bad bounce, but puck was blocked by the boards so no one saw it.

They need to stay out the box. All those penalties were earned. Keep your stick out of people's faces.

Toews must be really hurt or sick. 13:46 of ice, not on the ice in crunch time. Consider me very worried about it.

Game plan in the zone needs to continue to be getting traffic to the net and garbage goals, 2/3 were those tonight. You aren't going to beat Luongo very often when he can square and see the shot.

WOW!!!!

Darren Pang was on the SCORE this morning and basically spent 20 minutes saying the exact same thing you did above. The Bowman thign was intriguing. I get the feeling there could be something done with him over the offseason.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
WOW!!!!

Darren Pang was on the SCORE this morning and basically spent 20 minutes saying the exact same thing you did above. The Bowman thign was intriguing. I get the feeling there could be something done with him over the offseason.

Campbell makes too much to be moved.

Krush...that was awesome. I will add this, though. I think that the comeback, even though it fell short, but a nugget of doubt in the Nucks heads. Not saying it's going to carry the 'hawks past them, but Lu is going to have to work a lot harder against the 'hawks than he did against the Blues. And they have to be thinking no lead is ever safe...which could tighten them up a bit. A bad loss, but not a killer loss. Hopefully Toews will be back on the ice his normal amount and the 'hawks can take game 2.

I was watching the Caps-Pens game saturday and have come to the conclusion that Eddie Olczyck is the John Madden of the NHL. I came to the conclusion after Eddie O made this statement after Ovie scored a 5-3 PP goal (I'm paraphrasing): "The Penguins don't want to be down 5 on 3 to this team. They really want to be down 5 on 4 at worst, but really they want to play 5 on 5."

He's being paid for that revelation.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
What an awesome f***ing game. That Burish to Eager play was pretty.

:headbang

Talk about getting in a goalie's head...the FOURTH line scored on you in the playoffs...and with skill, not clogging and chopping. Awesome.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:19 AM)
I was watching the Caps-Pens game saturday and have come to the conclusion that Eddie Olczyck is the John Madden of the NHL. I came to the conclusion after Eddie O made this statement after Ovie scored a 5-3 PP goal (I'm paraphrasing): "The Penguins don't want to be down 5 on 3 to this team. They really want to be down 5 on 4 at worst, but really they want to play 5 on 5."

He's being paid for that revelation.

I actually think Eddie does a great job on the Hawks games bringing useful information (I can't speak for the NBC games, I don't watch them too often), but yeah that's really bad.

I like Eddie O on the Hawks telecasts, but my dad like when Konroyd does the analyst job. The national jobs are weaker for Eddie, also I think sometimes he might get a little tired from running around doing games everywhere. Some games he just looks like he has been run ragged. The man does games for 3 networks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
It is finally a day for another hockey game. 7pm cannot get here quick enough.

I'll be there!!! It's gonna be rockin' in the UC tonight!! Can't wait!!

GO HAWKS!!!

Edited by NIUSox