Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Coyotes filed for bankruptcy. NHL will take the team over. BlackBerry CEO offers to buy team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario but NHL owners undoubtedly will not allow that. It'd be great, but won't happen, if someone bought the team and moved them to Hartford

QUOTE (Brian @ May 5, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
Penalties are obviously killing us so far.

Both ways they killed them. When you get two gift, delay of game, penalties, you HAVE to take advantage. Vancouver looked like the home team last night. They really played a great game, and they just owned the passing lanes and shooting lanes, which an incredible number of blocks and tips.

The Hawks have to find an answer to the clogged lanes the Canucks are creating. They are blocking everything.

A few times last night, the Hawks tried to get too pretty, and it cost them good chances. They were not completely dominated though... and yet again they had stupid penalties all game long.

Game 4 becomes a must-win.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:39 AM)
Looks like the Coyotes filed for bankruptcy. NHL will take the team over. BlackBerry CEO offers to buy team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario but NHL owners undoubtedly will not allow that. It'd be great, but won't happen, if someone bought the team and moved them to Hartford

I'd love to see the Whale return!

Something weird's going on with the NHL and the Whalers, though - it's really hard to find any official licensed Whalers retro gear. Maybe you find a cap or a hooded sweatshirt, but no jerseys.

I don't trust the stuff on eBay, and I'd love to have one of the dark blue Whalers road jerseys from back then (when teams wore dark uni's on the road, that is).

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 6, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I'd love to see the Whale return!

Something weird's going on with the NHL and the Whalers, though - it's really hard to find any official licensed Whalers retro gear. Maybe you find a cap or a hooded sweatshirt, but no jerseys.

I don't trust the stuff on eBay, and I'd love to have one of the dark blue Whalers road jerseys from back then (when teams wore dark uni's on the road, that is).

The city of Hartford owns the rights to everything Hartford Whalers. The colors, the records, the logo, the name, even the goal song ("Brass Bonanza"). That is why you dont see stuff hardly ever.

As for the Whale, there is still a fan club.

http://www.whalerwatch.com/

I really think the Whalers will once again be back in the NHL. It may be 10 years down the road, but the dominoes are beginning to fall. Buttman met with the mayor, Hartford is going to build a new arena, the NYR are going to pull their AHL team out, petitions are growing in numbers and size, Hartford is the largest market without a professional franchise etc...

It was a sad day when The Whale left, I hope they are back again.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2009 -> 04:39 AM)

I wonder where that team is going to move, because it seems pretty clear they need to move. Obvoiusly a winning team would help, but Phoenix doesn't seem like an enviornment condusive to NHL success.

As for the Hawks last night, just an awful performance all around. Let's hope game 4 is better because it's the season on the line.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
I wonder where that team is going to move, because it seems pretty clear they need to move. Obvoiusly a winning team would help, but Phoenix doesn't seem like an enviornment condusive to NHL success.

As for the Hawks last night, just an awful performance all around. Let's hope game 4 is better because it's the season on the line.

If they won, at all, they would survive.

I think the obvious choice would be to send them back to Winnipeg... or to Quebec. They moved during the exodus of Canadian teams when the Canadian economy was so outrageously worse than the US's.

Putting another 1 or 2 teams in Canada seems like a no-brainer now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)

I think the obvious choice would be to send them back to Winnipeg... or to Quebec. They moved during the exodus of Canadian teams when the Canadian economy was so outrageously worse than the US's.

Yeah Canada definitely seems like a good place for more teams.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:45 AM)
The city of Hartford owns the rights to everything Hartford Whalers. The colors, the records, the logo, the name, even the goal song ("Brass Bonanza"). That is why you dont see stuff hardly ever.

As for the Whale, there is still a fan club.

http://www.whalerwatch.com/

I really think the Whalers will once again be back in the NHL. It may be 10 years down the road, but the dominoes are beginning to fall. Buttman met with the mayor, Hartford is going to build a new arena, the NYR are going to pull their AHL team out, petitions are growing in numbers and size, Hartford is the largest market without a professional franchise etc...

It was a sad day when The Whale left, I hope they are back again.

Thanks Sonix, I was not aware of that.

Still, it seems odd that the city wouldn't take advantage of what I think would be a pretty solid source of income.

The NHL really does need to start re-embracing areas more receptive to hockey than the Southern states.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)

I agree, but I'd love to see them move to Indianapolis :headbang

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

Unfortunately Winnipeg probably won't ever get NHL hockey again. Just some things I've heard that don't make it sound too good for the city's prospects.

As for Quebec, they won't either for several reasons. The Quebecois LOOOVVVE their junior and semi-pro hockey. That is why the QMJHL and the LNAH thrive there. As for the language, there is only one English newspaper, only a handful of English radio stations, and the people of Quebec City are not at all accommodating to those wishing to use English. The reason that is a problem is b/c it will limit the number of FA's who will sign there (Eric Lindros is a perfect example, and he was a draft pick).

Expanding the NHL into Canada would have to be in Ontario, either in Hamilton, Kitchener or St. Catherine's. Halifax would be an intriguing possibility, but I worry about travel to and from the city.

Either way, I agree that the NHL needs to return to it's roots where it thrives. None of this trying to get a team to KC or OKC bulls***. If you do that, it isn't a novelty, it is a bad decision. Look at Hartford, Providence, Cleveland, Seattle, Indianapolis, even Sioux Falls to place teams instead. Places that could and would support the NHL. With few exceptions, it just doesnt work well in the South.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 7, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
An interesting question is,

Why does no one consider a professional hockey team in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin men's NCAA hockey sells out all the time and even the women get big crowds.

Its a huge market for Hockey. I have no idea either. People were sort of concerned about a team in Ohio, Wisco should be a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
An interesting question is,

Why does no one consider a professional hockey team in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin men's NCAA hockey sells out all the time and even the women get big crowds.

Once upon a time, former Hawks broadcaster Lloyd Pettit owned the Milwaukee Admirals. (I believe he founded them)

Lloyd wanted very much for the Admirals to join the NHL. He felt Milwaukee & Chicago would be a natural regional rivalry.

After meeting with Pettit, Bill Wirtz had some kind of problem with Pettit's franchise bid.

Wirtz pulled the puppet strings of the NHL's "leadership" and squashed Pettit's bid for an NHL franchise.

The End.