Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
I've often wondered this. Madison certainly supports their IHL (or whatever league it is now) team. Milwaukee would probably cherish the opportunity to see NHL games.

Madison hasn't had a team for a while... they went under as a UHL franchise for lack of attendance. With that said, they operated like a bunch of morons. Minnesota and Chicago have a huge influence to NOT locate a franchise there.

Milwaukee has done well in the IHL/AHL for a while, and that is where they will stay.

I could see Winnipeg getting their franchise back - but the caveat there is the arena they built is pretty small. They would sell out every game, though, and with the salary cap/revenue share, it's actually a viable market again.

Southern Ontario (Hamilton, specifically) is probably a good fit as well. I think they should relocate Florida and Phoenix back north. It won't happen, but we could hope. It would definitely strengthen the overall NHL as we know it today.

Ya know, I don't like Cubs fans or Red Sox fans, I don't like Packers fans, I don't like Pistons fans, but the ones that piss me off more than any are the Red Wings fans. If that isn't the biggest bandwagon group of plans on the planet, then I don't know what is.

Every f***ing person in Michigan is a Red Wings fan but 3 out of every 5 don't know s*** about hockey. They can name you Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lidstrom, but they don't know s*** about the rest of the team or the league. Half of them think Yzerman still plays. The other half claim Chelios to be their own. I respect the ones who know what they're talking about, but f*** their fanbase as a whole.

/rant

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
I'm wondering if a hockey player has had a worse series than Matt Walker has had for the Blackhawks vs the Canucks. My goodness, that man is playing absolutely horribly.

Keith has been pretty brutal as well, he had a blueprint giveaway last night in OT that was the same goal he gave up in game 3. Obviously overall he is a better player so I expect more, but he's had some lapses that really were uncharacteristic.

Edited by RockRaines

Hurricanes win again. Up 3-1 now going back to the Boston. With the chance that Pittsburgh/Carolina being the East matchup and that Anaheim could beat Detoilet, this is shaping up to be destiny for the Hawks. First though, they have to take care of the Canucks.

Per Rotoworld:

The Phoenix Coyotes are ready to sue the NHL because the league will not allow owner Jerry Moyes to sell the team to Canadian Jim Balsillie.

This is turning into a mess and the NHL has to be wary of a possible lawsuit if Moyes cannot sell the team to Balsillie who wants to move the team to southern Ontario. The Coyotes are prepared to sue and cite that the NHL is breaking state and federal anti-trust laws. The Coyotes are preparing its case for the court and they state in their case that Phoenix is not a viable hockey market according to the Arizona Republic. The team has lost $73 million in the last three years. Sounds to us that this is not a viable market. Stay tuned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
So is tonight a "must win" for the Hawks? I say yes.

Technically, no game is a must-win unless you can be eliminated, but the road would be really tough if they lose tonight.

Having to win two in a row, with Game 7 on the road? I DEFINITELY don't want that scenario.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Per Rotoworld:

The Phoenix Coyotes are ready to sue the NHL because the league will not allow owner Jerry Moyes to sell the team to Canadian Jim Balsillie.

This is turning into a mess and the NHL has to be wary of a possible lawsuit if Moyes cannot sell the team to Balsillie who wants to move the team to southern Ontario. The Coyotes are prepared to sue and cite that the NHL is breaking state and federal anti-trust laws. The Coyotes are preparing its case for the court and they state in their case that Phoenix is not a viable hockey market according to the Arizona Republic. The team has lost $73 million in the last three years. Sounds to us that this is not a viable market. Stay tuned.

There's a story on espnchicago.com that mentions our own JR as a potential buyer... http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4150580

The NHL wants to keep the team in Arizona and says it is in discussions with a prospective ownership group that includes Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bulls.
Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 10, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
What an outstanding game to watch. Nice to see one of my favorite players, Big Buff, get 2 goals in.

I played Buff in a game of bags behind the Cell back in September. Real nice guy and about the size of a linebacker.

Wow. I had to get up for work at 6am, but had to stay up. Than was so hyped, couldn't get to sleep til about 1am.

Vancouver fans were so cocky. Put em away tomorrow!

I wanna see Burrows off the ice crying.