Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Can we un-sign Brian Campbell? What a horrible defensemen.

Can we do it with Huet, too? It sure would be nice to have $12 million dollars to play with this off-season and still have our youngsters. Re-sign Nik for one or two years at a reasonable rate and re-sign Marty for what Nik made last year (basically those two switch salaries). The Hawks could have been even more badass next year. They could have made a run at the Sedin twins or Hossa or Gaborik. Probably one of the latter two since we will need money to resign the big boys in a couple years. But the money from Huet and Campbell would have been very nice.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
:)

To be fair, The Critic is at least twice the Red Wings fan I am.

As long as there is a Wirtz tied to the Blackhawks franchise, I'll never root for them.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. How is Rocky anything like Bill? He's the complete opposite and doesn't give a s*** what his dad did or believed in.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 24, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Can we do it with Huet, too? It sure would be nice to have $12 million dollars to play with this off-season and still have our youngsters. Re-sign Nik for one or two years at a reasonable rate and re-sign Marty for what Nik made last year (basically those two switch salaries). The Hawks could have been even more badass next year. They could have made a run at the Sedin twins or Hossa or Gaborik. Probably one of the latter two since we will need money to resign the big boys in a couple years. But the money from Huet and Campbell would have been very nice.

Keep in mind the cap will go down for the first time since the lockout this year.

I wanted to see a competitive series and by that I mean I didn't expect the Hawks to beat Detroit 4 games out of 7. But the Hawks seemed to have taken everything they learned in the first three games and threw it out the window today. They're young and making stupid mistakes. Versteeg with two consecutive penalties? Come on.

Detroit is too smart to play those games. They've built a very good franchise in the past 15 years but it doesn't mean I hate them any less.

In game 3, Kronwall had a legal hit on Havlat and I don't think it warranted a major or a game misconduct—I would have been happier if the referees would call it both ways for the duration. Yes, the Hawks have been getting outplayed, but the referees are making no bones about tipping it in Detroit's favor with the exception of Kronwall's hit. How many tripping and hooking calls have they let Detroit get away with, and then they come down on Eager? GMAFB.

By that measure, they should have broken Holmstrom's legs by second intermission.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. How is Rocky anything like Bill? He's the complete opposite and doesn't give a s*** what his dad did or believed in.

He certainly loses points with his association with McCubnough.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Keep in mind the cap will go down for the first time since the lockout this year.

Yeah, $2.5 million I think I just saw. Player salaries should also go down that ratio, or at least I would hope (prolly wishful thinking). So that brings the Hawks to let's say $9 million -- still enough to get a big-time player or two very solid ones. The Campbell signing needed to be done to re-energized the fan base and show that Hawks management was serious, but that deal is going to be a huge mistake in two years even though right now he is overpaid.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Drew @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
I wanted to see a competitive series and by that I mean I didn't expect the Hawks to beat Detroit 4 games out of 7. But the Hawks seemed to have taken everything they learned in the first three games and threw it out the window today. They're young and making stupid mistakes. Versteeg with two consecutive penalties? Come on.

Detroit is too smart to play those games. They've built a very good franchise in the past 15 years but it doesn't mean I hate them any less.

In game 3, Kronwall had a legal hit on Havlat and I don't think it warranted a major or a game misconduct—I would have been happier if the referees would call it both ways for the duration. Yes, the Hawks have been getting outplayed, but the referees are making no bones about tipping it in Detroit's favor with the exception of Kronwall's hit. How many tripping and hooking calls have they let Detroit get away with, and then they come down on Eager? GMAFB.

By that measure, they should have broken Holmstrom's legs by second intermission.

I have not seen the entire series like I did the Vancouver one - but I will say this - the Hawks are pretty undisciplined. I don't even necessarily mean that from a penalty standpoint, although that certainly factors into it. The Blackhawks are way too loosey goosey, especially in transition and the neutral zone. That is where Detroit has lived for the last 15 years... they eat up everyone in the neutral zone which allows them to control the play on both ends of the ice - honestly, I don't understand why more teams don't get this. They are disciplined and stay within their game. The Hawks haven't learned that yet. Skill and flashy stick handling are good, but not being disciplined will kill you in this game... and that is what we are witnessing in this series.

They'll get there, I think, but it might be a good couple of years.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
:)

To be fair, The Critic is at least twice the Red Wings fan I am.

As long as there is a Wirtz tied to the Blackhawks franchise, I'll never root for them.

It's true, I do love the Red Wings.

However, they are my second NHL love, and my first love (the Hawks) are making me crazy right now.

It seemed today like they expected to win just by showing up, since there was no Datsyuk and no Lidstrom.

Then when things didn't go their way, they started gooning it up and taking stupid, selfish penalties instead of trying to save some face by making a game of it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 24, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
I have not seen the entire series like I did the Vancouver one - but I will say this - the Hawks are pretty undisciplined. I don't even necessarily mean that from a penalty standpoint, although that certainly factors into it. The Blackhawks are way too loosey goosey, especially in transition and the neutral zone. That is where Detroit has lived for the last 15 years... they eat up everyone in the neutral zone which allows them to control the play on both ends of the ice - honestly, I don't understand why more teams don't get this. They are disciplined and stay within their game. The Hawks haven't learned that yet. Skill and flashy stick handling are good, but not being disciplined will kill you in this game... and that is what we are witnessing in this series.

They'll get there, I think, but it might be a good couple of years.

I agree that they'll get there, but it's frustrating to see them not play as well as they are capable of.

I thought '92 was going to be the first of many Stanley Cup runs for the Blackhawks, but now we've got ownership and management that gives a s***—unlike then.

I want to see them play like they are capable, and apply what they've learned next season and postseason. Let's figure out who is in the crease and I think the rest will take care of itself.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 24, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
It's true, I do love the Red Wings.

However, they are my second NHL love, and my first love (the Hawks) are making me crazy right now.

Considering this is the Bears/Packers, Yankees/Red Sox of the NHL—does not compute. The classic aesthetic of their crest and uniforms are the only things I don't loathe and despise about the Red Wings. And even then, I can still hardly bear to look at them.

QUOTE (Drew @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
Considering this is the Bears/Packers, Yankees/Red Sox of the NHL—does not compute. The classic aesthetic of their crest and uniforms are the only things I don't loathe and despise about the Red Wings. And even then, I can still hardly bear to look at them.

Here's how this happened:

I was a kid in the 70's. The Hawks were NEVER on TV other than road games, the Red Wings were always on the Saturday afternoon Game Of The Week, I liked the team and the uniform, and there ya go.

The Hawks/Wings thing didn't seem as retarded as it is now, and maybe that's because the Hawks were "only" a decade removed from their last Cup, not the 40+ years they are now. So maybe the Hawk fans back then weren't as jealous of Detroit's success as they are now.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)

I was a kid in the 70's. The Hawks were NEVER on TV other than road games, the Red Wings were always on the Saturday afternoon Game Of The Week, I liked the team and the uniform, and there ya go.

The Hawks/Wings thing didn't seem as retarded as it is now, and maybe that's because the Hawks were "only" a decade removed from their last Cup, not the 40+ years they are now. So maybe the Hawk fans back then weren't as jealous of Detroit's success as they are now.

I was a kid in the 80s and 90s and lived through that era of the tyranny of Dollar Bill. I remember buying a Roenick jersey and three months later after months of lying to the fans, the Blackhawks dealt his rights to Phoenix.

I'll agree, I didn't hate them back then—St. Louis and Minnesota were bigger division rivals. And nowadays I don't really care much about either of those teams. And for a long time the Blackhawks weren't even worth paying attention to. Why be a fan if the prices go up for a progressively worse product?

Neither the Blues nor the North Stars and now, the Wild are an Original Six rivalry. In the meantime, nothing to show for the Blackhawks. Roenick, Chelios, Belfour, and the supporting cast of standouts like Murphy, Nicholls, Ruuttu, Smith, Suter, and the rest withered away or left with hard feelings—and nothing to show for it. The past fifteen years, the octopi, Hockeytown, and half a dozen Stanley Cup rings and the last stop before the Hall of Fame for what seemed like all the luminary players of my coming of age are salt in the wounds.

The jersey still hangs in my closet. Today it was on my back.

I want Detroit to go down.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)

LIke it or not, the guy was a part of THE most successful sports franchise in town. During his time in Chicago they went from a crappy team that didn't draw, to some sort of mythological beast that draws even when they don't win. The Sox wish they could be that successful.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)

Man you're old. I bet you had a Darcy Rota Jersey :lol:

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
So maybe the Hawk fans back then weren't as jealous of Detroit's success as they are now.

I'm not jealous of Detroit. They are an amazingly well run franchise, and their success is no accident. I just hate the Red Wings because I have EVERYTHING Detroit related, that is the city, the sports teams, etc. The beauty of the "Detroit sucks" chant is it will ALWAYS be true. The Red Wings don't suck, and at times, other sports teams there don't suck. But Detroit itself always has and always will suck, or at least that's how I look at it.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)

You do realize how incredibly silly this statement is dont' you? Just because he worked for the Cubs for a long time doesn't mean he is dumb. In fact, McDonough is BRILLIANT. He managed to fill that s***hole of a ballpark up north for a long time despite having terrible teams and a franchise a century removed from a championship, and now he's helped the practical overnight revival of the Blackhawks. His job isn't to build a winning team, it's to promote, and he's the best in the business at it.

And your Wirtz statement lacks logic too, considering Rocky couldn't possibly be more different than Dollar Bill. But enjoy the Red Wings bandwagon, I guess the Hawks dead past owner is a great excuse to be a bandwagon jumper.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 26, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Havlat and Bulin Wall did not practice, so according to Eddie O, he said if they don't practice, they probably don't play. Ugh.

Q said Havlat will play. Don't expect Bulin though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
I held off as long as I could.

Brian Campbell is our Alfonso Soriano.

What is Huet for us then? Alot of good teams have 2 productive goalies making less combined than Huet is going to make a year.