Fireworks

shipps

Tonight there is going to be millions of idiots that have been drinking all day that are going to light off hundreds of dollars worth of explosives each.There is going to be children running around that trust that these dumb adults wont let the fireworks hurt them.And there will be rooftops dodgeing the sparks.Then there will be the smart ones that try to weave morter rounds through the powerlines looking up at them asking "yeah I think it will go through" even though they are piss drunk and cant see straight.Then there will be the ones spraying the roman candle around like they are pissing in the wind.GROW UP PEOPLE.

I was never a huge fan of "consumer" fireworks, but a few years ago I tipped over the edge. At a 4th of July celebration in Hoffman Estates, I went to go see the fireworks with some friends and my younger sister. We were in an open field with LOTS of people sitting on the ground on blankets. Two guys were standing on the edge with Roman candles (I think that is what they were) and all of a sudden one guy pointed is horizontally and started aiming them INTO THE CROUD!!! One missed a family on a blanket by less than 6 ft and one went about 10 ft behind my sisters back. They were not arrested!

From that day on, I am all for a 100% ban on consumer fireworks. Leave it do those who have the permits and training.

I was just listening to the radio and was reminded of another brilliant thing to do, shoot your gun into the air! Yep, down here tonight guys (it's always guys) will aim into the sky and let a few rounds go. And they will come down, and usually someone is hurt.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Tonight there is going to be millions of idiots that have been drinking all day that are going to light off hundreds of dollars worth of explosives each.There is going to be children running around that trust that these dumb adults wont let the fireworks hurt them.And there will be rooftops dodgeing the sparks.Then there will be the smart ones that try to weave morter rounds through the powerlines looking up at them asking "yeah I think it will go through" even though they are piss drunk and cant see straight.Then there will be the ones spraying the roman candle around like they are pissing in the wind.GROW UP PEOPLE.

I thought that you were going to talk ER horror stories of fireworks accidents.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
I was just listening to the radio and was reminded of another brilliant thing to do, shoot your gun into the air! Yep, down here tonight guys (it's always guys) will aim into the sky and let a few rounds go. And they will come down, and usually someone is hurt.

Don't go to Iraq after they win a soccer match. It sounds like straight up WWIII.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
I thought that you were going to talk ER horror stories of fireworks accidents.

I should have included some of the stories in my original post.I worked first shift this year so nothing really crazy happened.But last year was crazy,a kid in his eary 20's blew his hand off with a firework too were it was just shredded meat dangling off his wrist and it was interesting how suprised he was that we couldnt fix his hand.And thats with everyone that comes in that blows there hand up.And of course these accidents are almost always alcohol related because the fuse on those fireworks are only seconds long and when your drunk those seconds fly by.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
So I had never heard about the story of Danny Dahlquist's death at Bradley due to a fireworks 'prank.'

It was featured on SC tonight, so it will probably run in the morning as well.

What a sad story.

What happened?

I can agree. Just the things people have found to do with simple bottle rockets is frightening. However, on the other side it is a bit of a shame we can't purchase the simplest things like black cats without a permit anymore. We are stuck with cheap sparklers, smoke balls and those snakes that never thrill like you think they will. Cigrarettes are darn near as powerful as the firecrackers you can get now. That makes me think - if the state wants to institute a smoking ban, there they go. They can just classify them as illegal fireworks.

SFF

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
I can agree. Just the things people have found to do with simple bottle rockets is frightening. However, on the other side it is a bit of a shame we can't purchase the simplest things like black cats without a permit anymore. We are stuck with cheap sparklers, smoke balls and those snakes that never thrill like you think they will. Cigrarettes are darn near as powerful as the firecrackers you can get now. That makes me think - if the state wants to institute a smoking ban, there they go. They can just classify them as illegal fireworks.

SFF

Go to Indiana.

I purchase a ton of fireworks every year, most of them large mortars that I buy in Indiana. I light them off in a safe environment on my lake and everyone enjoys the hell out of them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
Go to Indiana.

I purchase a ton of fireworks every year, most of them large mortars that I buy in Indiana. I light them off in a safe environment on my lake and everyone enjoys the hell out of them.

My much lower taxes say thank you :cheers