The Camo Jerseys Tonight

wilmot825

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
I did not know Cincinnati was under a dictatorship. ;-)

I disagree with that notion but it is a popular one. Propaganda is a powerful thing and do not think for one minute our government doesn't use it as much as those red dictators. We package it differently but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I respect our military personnel but I also respect a lot of other people who serve to protect our freedom and democracy who don't wield a gun. It seems they get far more recognition for their service than say Upton Sinclair or Jane Adams, who did quite a bit to protect our individual freedoms within our borders. The military strength of the US is not what makes this country so successful. In fact, when it is misused, which happens far more frequently than we are willing to admit, it helps detract from our strengths.

I apologize for even bringing this up since I know there are strong views on all sides. I just wish we would recognize that the military is not the only reason we do not have a dictatorship. in fact, it is far down the list in my opinion. What makes this holiday special is something far more powerful than the military.

The difference is Upton Sinclair or anyone else didn't put his life on the line in anything he did. The players can't wear "The Jungle" patches on their jerseys

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
The difference is Upton Sinclair or anyone else didn't put his life on the line in anything he did. The players can't wear "The Jungle" patches on their jerseys

There are plenty of Americans who put their lives on the line to stand up for their rights. Most did it without any weapons to defend themselves other than their words.

I am not saying there should be recognition of any of these people. I just think the uniform tonight was over the top.

Like someone said earlier, at least we can all agree on cheering for the Sox. :gosox1:

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
I did not know Cincinnati was under a dictatorship. ;-)

I disagree with that notion but it is a popular one. Propaganda is a powerful thing and do not think for one minute our government doesn't use it as much as those red dictators. We package it differently but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I respect our military personnel but I also respect a lot of other people who serve to protect our freedom and democracy who don't wield a gun. It seems they get far more recognition for their service than say Upton Sinclair or Jane Adams, who did quite a bit to protect our individual freedoms within our borders. The military strength of the US is not what makes this country so successful. In fact, when it is misused, which happens far more frequently than we are willing to admit, it helps detract from our strengths.

I apologize for even bringing this up since I know there are strong views on all sides. I just wish we would recognize that the military is not the only reason we do not have a dictatorship. in fact, it is far down the list in my opinion. What makes this holiday special is something far more powerful than the military.

The men and women of our military deserve all the praise they can get. Throughout our history, the American solider has put their lives on the line, and have sacrificed from the birth of our nation that we celebrate today through its history. Names on a paper issued a statement to the world, that we were a nation. But never forget that the blood, sweat, and tears of soldiers and their families is what drove the english out and put that paper and the nation into action. American history is filled with those individuals that help make this country better from within. Those people do not however get a chance to advance our society without a strong nation state.

Besides being kind of hideous-looking as a baseball jersey I find nothing at all wrong with it, Independence Day is a patriotic nationalist-type holiday and I see paying tribute to the military as entirely appropriate. (Full disclosure, I'm a vet, so I guess that feeling is natural for me.)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your comment about the 'constant cheerleading of our military forces' getting tiresome. I think ever opportunity should be taken to recongnize and honor the fine young Americans that step up and volunteer to serve their country with the very distinct possibility that they are putting their very lives on the line. From an individual shaking a soldier's hand, buying him a drink and saying thank you to a small gathering in an airport greeting soldiers returning home with a small standing ovation to various large scale public recognition like today's game, I believe they are all appropriate and well deserved.

f***ing Bravo :notworthy

just FWIW, my new brother-in-law is a member of the US Army...he was stationed in Iraq for about a year. Anyways, I'm a bit of a modest person and, other than the minor compliment, I'm not a person to give a ton of thanks for, really, anything, unless it really means a lot to what I feel is a greater cause, be it right or wrong. Putting your life on the line for the country I live in is a greater cause, and anybody anywhere giving thanks to the military on any given day makes my day, even if your dog took a s*** on me while I slept.

Thanks Yas.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Not to mention the fact that the 4th of July is not memorial day or veterans day. For some reason this country equates patriotism and the military for every national holiday.

Do not get me wrong. While I personally do not want to serve in the armed forces, I have a high level of respect for anyone who put their lives at risk for something they believe in. However, July 4th is about so much more that military success. The revolution was an inspiration of ideals that had been trounced in the west by feudalism and colonization since the end of the byzantine empire.

The fact that a handful of men were able to create a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men were created equal is what makes July 4th so special. It helped inspire the French revolution and, although the results were not good, the end of czarist Russia, among others.

People standing up for their rights as human beings to rule and be ruled as they decide is the primary reason the 4th ever happened. I fully understand that without military victory in the revolutionary war, this holiday would not be possible. However, the constant cheerleading for our military forces every time we have a national holiday gets tiresome. I wish they would just wear the special hats with the American Flag.

Great response. I had no idea this " promotion " was coming. When I turned the game on, I had the same reaction as you. There is a veteran's day/Memorial day, which would be appropriate. This seems so misplaced and political.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)
f***ing Bravo :notworthy

just FWIW, my new brother-in-law is a member of the US Army...he was stationed in Iraq for about a year. Anyways, I'm a bit of a modest person and, other than the minor compliment, I'm not a person to give a ton of thanks for, really, anything, unless it really means a lot to what I feel is a greater cause, be it right or wrong. Putting your life on the line for the country I live in is a greater cause, and anybody anywhere giving thanks to the military on any given day makes my day, even if your dog took a s*** on me while I slept.

Thanks Yas.

I agree with YASNY up to the point of the full scale recognition part. Veterans should be commended for making these types of sacrifices and sincere shows of thanks to the individuals by buying drinks or greeting them at the airport is more likely than not a genuine show of appreciation. I also love that the Sox give veterans a break on admission. I just do not think the camo uniforms, especially on 7/4, are appropriate. It just seems overblown to me.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
I agree with YASNY up to the point of the full scale recognition part. Veterans should be commended for making these types of sacrifices and sincere shows of thanks to the individuals by buying drinks or greeting them at the airport is more likely than not a genuine show of appreciation. I also love that the Sox give veterans a break on admission. I just do not think the camo uniforms, especially on 7/4, are appropriate. It just seems overblown to me.

Man, I have started and stopped a post multiple times since seeing this thread yesterday...your comment really rubs me the wrong way. I'll just say this...there is no such thing as overblown when honoring the men and women of the armed services.

I'm 100% fine with whatever gesture of recognition the Sox want to give the armed services, and whenever and however they want to do it. I think it's very classy, as is giving military a deal on admission.

That said, I thought those camo jerseys were ugly as hell.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
Man, I have started and stopped a post multiple times since seeing this thread yesterday...your comment really rubs me the wrong way. I'll just say this...there is no such thing as overblown when honoring the men and women of the armed services.

I know I am in the minority on this. I understand the other side of the argument as well. The camo unis are just not my preferred way of celebrating the 4th of July.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
I know I am in the minority on this. I understand the other side of the argument as well. The camo unis are just not my preferred way of celebrating the 4th of July.

Not to be an ass here, just a legitimate question. Would have been to much to ask for you to suck it up and suffer through it for one day? I don't think the uniforms were particularly attractive, but the sentiment behind them is honorable to say the least.

Also, if I got the correct information, this was a small concession to Buehrle when he sign his latest contract. Now considering what Mark has meant to the organization over the years, and the fact the he felt strongly enough about this to ask for it during contract negotiations, what could really be wrong with this?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Not to be an ass here, just a legitimate question. Would have been to much to ask for you to suck it up and suffer through it for one day? I don't think the uniforms were particularly attractive, but the sentiment behind them is honorable to say the least.

Also, if I got the correct information, this was a small concession to Buehrle when he sign his latest contract. Now considering what Mark has meant to the organization over the years, and the fact the he felt strongly enough about this to ask for it during contract negotiations, what could really be wrong with this?

You are not being an ass at all. Even if I thought that, I typically enjoy your posts so no big deal. Sometimes people disagree however.

I think I did suck it up. I watched the game and did not stage any massive protests. If you mean I should not even have said anything here, I guess I could not do that. I was just exercising my right as a independent American to sometimes go against the grain, even when facing overwhelming opposition. Frequently that is how progress is made in this country (although I am not sure my posts here merit such comparison ;))

I heard Buehrle might have been behind it. Just because he is a good pitcher of pretty sound character doesn't mean he is right about everything either. As Crash Davis once said, "he is as full of s*** as anyone."

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
You are not being an ass at all. Even if I thought that, I typically enjoy your posts so no big deal. Sometimes people disagree however.

I think I did suck it up. I watched the game and did not stage any massive protests. If you mean I should not even have said anything here, I guess I could not do that. I was just exercising my right as a independent American to sometimes go against the grain, even when facing overwhelming opposition. Frequently that is how progress is made in this country (although I am not sure my posts here merit such comparison ;))

I heard Buehrle might have been behind it. Just because he is a good pitcher of pretty sound character doesn't mean he is right about everything either. As Crash Davis once said, "he is as full of s*** as anyone."

Wait! What makes you think 1st amendment rights apply to you? :) Ok, Pants ... If nothing else, your point of view brought on a good discussion. So here's to you: :cheers

IMO:

Men and women in the military equals good.

Men and women who fight for our freedom equals good.

Any way to honor them equals good.

Camo unis equal ugly.

Military policy sometimes equals ugly.

If I could buy everybody who has served a brew, I would.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Wait! What makes you think 1st amendment rights apply to you? :) Ok, Pants ... If nothing else, your point of view brought on a good discussion. So here's to you: :cheers

Thanks.

And greg, if you buy that many beers, I would chip in and at least buy one for you and YASNY. :D & :cheers to both of you.

On to more important things...nice win by the sox tonight. Would like to have watched but wife is too pregnant to go to the game and the weather was too nice to spend indoors watching on TV.

P.S. I think they went with brown since troops are fighting more in sand now than anything else. Not sure what terrain would merit grey camo...maybe London?