C.C. Sabathia

Brian

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta in a proposed deal for C.C. Sabathia.

Or at least that's what the Indians are telling other suitors in order to drive up the price. If it's true, then Milwaukee shouldn't need to add much more to the pot. Rosenthal says that shortstop Alcides Escobar could also be involved, but it's hard to imagine that happening unless the Indians sent additional talent Milwaukee's way (Rafael Betancourt? Masa Kobayashi?). Jul. 4 - 1:04 am et

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta in a proposed deal for C.C. Sabathia.

Or at least that's what the Indians are telling other suitors in order to drive up the price. If it's true, then Milwaukee shouldn't need to add much more to the pot. Rosenthal says that shortstop Alcides Escobar could also be involved, but it's hard to imagine that happening unless the Indians sent additional talent Milwaukee's way (Rafael Betancourt? Masa Kobayashi?). Jul. 4 - 1:04 am et

If the Brewers pull this off, they should still be in the market for a closer. I wouldnt want to go into any post-season with Gagne in the 9th

I was in The Dells the past few days and the Milwaukee papers believe that Milwaukee is best suited to get at least the top two players moved. Their AA team was quoted by a scout as being the deepest team he has ever seen.....

They also stated that the cubs have zero prospect talent compared to the Brewers.

The Dodgers are currently making runs at both C.C. Sabathia and the Pirates' Jack Wilson, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

Complicating their efforts for Sabathia is that one or two players the Indians want are also being discussed in the Wilson deal. Rosenthal hints that 3B Andy LaRoche, RHP James McDonald and SS Chin-Lung Hu are "likely drawing consideration" from Cleveland, though he offers nothing to back that up. Jul. 4 - 7:00 pm et

Please go to Milwaukee, please go to Milwaukee, please go to Milwaukee...................

BTW- 2 closers that come to mind are Fuentes, and Valverde. Houston is most likely done, and although his ERA is at 4.2, he has 22 saves.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:01 AM)
Please go to Milwaukee, please go to Milwaukee, please go to Milwaukee...................

BTW- 2 closers that come to mind are Fuentes, and Valverde. Houston is most likely done, and although his ERA is at 4.2, he has 22 saves.

You know who might be dealt?

Joe Nathan.

If the Twins fall back more than 7 or 8 games, he might go.

Minny dealt Santana, they can't afford Nathan either.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
Nathan just signed an extension in Spring Training. he is not going anywhere for a long time

You'd like to think that, but Pohlad's been known to change his mind if the team gets too expensive.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:33 AM)
You'd like to think that, but Pohlad's been known to change his mind if the team gets too expensive.

Not after a player has signed an extension...don't be ridiculous. There's a reason that played signed the extension in the first place.

Besides that, the Twins will be buyers long before they will be sellers. I mean, you know, they are only 1 game out of first place. Let's not act like they are a near cellar dweller hoping for a hot streak to get back into contention here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 05:43 AM)
Not after a player has signed an extension...don't be ridiculous. There's a reason that played signed the extension in the first place.

Besides that, the Twins will be buyers long before they will be sellers. I mean, you know, they are only 1 game out of first place. Let's not act like they are a near cellar dweller hoping for a hot streak to get back into contention here.

That's what I aws thinking. Somehow those f***s are right behind us.

Sounds like CC could be a Brewer any day based on the package they put together. LaPorta and 2 other top prospects.

Milwaukee better be able to sign him for the package they may give up.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
You know who might be dealt?

Joe Nathan.

If the Twins fall back more than 7 or 8 games, he might go.

Minny dealt Santana, they can't afford Nathan either.

And what, pray tell, makes you think the Twins might be 8 back by July 31?

Sabathia: Possibly A Done Deal?

By Steve Adams [July 6 at 1:58pm CST]

4:15PM EST: CastroTurf, an Indians blog at the MLB Blogs Network, takes Rosenthal's rumor one step further, citing a "Major League source," that says a trade with the Brewers and Indians for C.C. Sabathia has been "completed." If correct, the trade is indeed centered around Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, though the other two prospects are not yet named.

Further updates as soon as they are available.

Very interesting. It sounded as if the Brewers were kind of balking at giving up LaPorta which gives them enough leverage that once they do include him the deal will get done. I can't see the Indians getting a better prospect in such a deal. LaPorta can rake and should be at the major league level at the start of next season (he'll obviously get some time later on this season as well, at least in September).

4:54PM EST: Jon Heyman weighs in on the impending Sabathia deal, stating that the Indians have been trying to pry top shortstop prospect Alcides Escobar away from the Brewers as well. Heyman re-affirms that the Brewers would like a deal complete as soon as possible, in order to get two starts from Sabathia - one Tuesday and one Sunday - before the All-Star Break.

No mention of the unconfirmed report of the deal being completed from Heyman just yet.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Sounds like CC could be a Brewer any day based on the package they put together. LaPorta and 2 other top prospects.

Milwaukee better be able to sign him for the package they may give up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Prince a FA after the year? I wonder if Melvin will pony up the cash for CC and Prince (if that's even possible). Fielder will probably get 10 per and CC will probably get anywhere from 14-19 per.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
And that may be kind. He's a butcher just like Ryan Braun is a butcher. The thing is, both can hit the living piss out of the ball.

Ryan Braun hasn't made an error in LF this year.

I like the piss comment, though. :lolhitting