Alexei as good as Alfonso?

Now we all know Alexei is 10x the defender Soriano is but let's take a look at the offensive potential from this kid. Can he be a consistent .280 avg / 30 hr / 90 RBI a year kind of guy? Soriano in his first full season in the majors at age 25 put up the following numbers:

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2001 NYY 158 574 77 154 34 3 18 73 29 125 43 14 .268 .304 .432 .736

Now let's compare that to what Alexei has done to start the 2008 season at age 26:

Season 62 201 26 60 12 0 7 27 7 25 3 3 .299 .322 .463 .785

Which projects to:

Projected 137 444 57 133 27 0 15 60 15 55 7 7 .299 .322 .463 .785

Now a couple of things to point out here. One, the power numbers are VERY similar between the two as suggested by the slugging %. Two, Alexei strikes out FAR less, which in turn should help him exceed soriano's batting average due to more contact. Third, Soriano was a much bigger basestealing threat when he first came up but I think Alexei is fully capable of stealing 15-20 bases a year as well. Now that you have seen what these two are capable of in their first year (or in Alexei's case half way through the first year), and yes they have very similar numbers, the question is can Alexei make that big step in his second season in MLB? In his second season, Soriano hit 39 hr and drove in 102 runs with an .879 OPS. Now I think it would be unreasonable for Alexei to achieve those numbers (although possible) but more likely that he hits 20-25 hr with 80 RBI (depending where he's hitting in the batting order) and .850 OPS. Either way you look at it, not bad for a guy the Sox picked up for 4 yr / $4.75 mil (I think my source is correct). So what do you guys think? Potential like Alfonso Soriano or more like a Soriano-lite?

On the offensive side he is not as physically gifted as Soriano and will never be as powerful.But he doesnt have to be,he can be a more valuable player than Soriano.His defensive skills are what truly surprise me,if he wins a gold glove and hits "Soriano-lite" offensively which is likely he will be a more valuable player to any team and a little less pricey than Soriano.Which is ten times more than I expected from this kid at this point in the season.

I don't care if he's another Soriano. He's Alexei Ramirez, which is fine with me.

The kid has made tremendous strides in only a couple hundred at bats. Early on, he flailed at breaking balls and made easy outs. Now, he's more selective, and his average has shot up near .300. I expect he'll lead the team before the year is out in that category. A better eye should also allow him to greatly increase his walks and OBP, and when he does that, he's a great candidate to be our lead off hitter. Though to hit lead off, he'll have to be able to run too. I'm guessing he's already our fastest player, but just needs confidence and improved technique, so I think that will come. And if his average is over .300, his OBP is north of .350, and he's more selective, I expect his slugging will go up too as he'll be waiting for and pouncing on the pitches he can drive for doubles and HRs.

By next season, this kid is going to be our SS and is likely to hold that spot in All-Star form for years to come. And if we move our top pick Gordon Beckham to 2B, he may be ready in a couple of years to form an incredible up-the-middle tandem that will transform this team.

Imagine this team:

3B Josh Fields

SS Alexei Ramirez

2B Gordon Beckham

1B Nick Swisher

LF Carlos Quentin

CF Brian Anderson

RF Jermaine Dye

DH Paul Konerko

C AJ Pierzynski

If you could dump Konerko for a lefty outfielder (or 1B, with Swisher moving back to OF) and move Dye to DH, it would be even better. Everyone in that lineup would have double-digit HR power, and no one would be an easy out (I'm assuming Anderson continues to improve). And if you got rid of Konerko, you wouldn't have any true snails on the basepaths (okay, AJ's probably a snail). We'd be younger, cheaper, and better. And since 4 of our 5 starters are locked in for the next several years, we only need to replace Contreras in the rotation.

It looks like the Sox ought to be able to compete very well over the next several years.

I'm just going to enjoy our team of the moment.

I laughed during the cubs-sox game when one of the announcers said "It looks like Lou was mad that they through him a breaking ball instead of throwing in the heat" after Alexei had hit the game tying HR. I thought to myself that after the first two weeks of the season I don't think I could've imagined anyone bad that they'd thrown the breaking ball instead of the heater to Alexei, he used to look awful with curveballs and sliders. Now, I feel like every at bat he'll do something special.

I think he'll slowly become a bit more selective, but he'll never turn into a Jim Thome or Carlos Quentin type of selective hitter. It isn't in his nature. Just like it isn't in Vladdy's nature either. Heck, Ramirez quick hands enable him to do something with a lot of various pitches and pitch locations and that is what allows him to get away with having a wider zone.

I expect he'll learn to walk as much as a player like Carlos Lee, which should push his OBP north of .350 given he's likely to flirt with or exceed .300 in average.

I just wonder if or when Ozzie is going to move him up in the lineup this season. Not for a while, I expect. Still, when he's up there, I almost feel more confident that he'll get a hit than I do about anyone else in our lineup.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I do not why Guillen has Anderson second against a lefty and Alexei 8th or 9th.

It seems to me Alexei has been most productive batting at the bottom of the order. I don't know if the stats back me up but every time ARam bats second it seems like he has a bad game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
He's racist in favor of the white players.

Well it's probably because he is only seeing 3-4 pitchers per at-bat. But I think Alexei should be hitting 2nd because he is a good average hitter and hell, AJ doesnt see a lot of pitches either, so you aren't losing much there.

O-C

Lexi

Q

Dye

Thome

Swisher

AJ

Crede

Wise

Looks good to me.

I still remember a few games back when Hawk suggested his fielding reminded him of another Roberto Alomar. When I heard that, my pants almost exploded - and I wasn't even considering Alexei's offense. I don't know how to compare him to Soriano, but I know that during the crosstown series I was convinced that I prefer having our A. Ramirez to their A. Ramirez.

SFF