2008 MLB All Star Game Thread

Brian

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
What a wimpy toss by Hart. He threw it about 40 feet.

Had that throw been right to Martin, this game would still be going. He had enough on it to get the out just missed target.

They should give Hamilton the MVP award for yesterday's life changing home run derby. It made me believe in the human spirit, again. Just.....very inspirational. It tells everyone out there if they have a drug addiction, and overcome it, they too can have the possibility of hitting 500+ft HRs during an exhibition game. Not to mention one day making millions of dollars.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I was rooting for it to keep going with all the pitchers used. I'd have loved to see Bud Selig's stupid ass left to shrug and call it a tie again, having no idea how to determine world series home field. However, it didn't work out that way and baseball NARROWLY avoids a 2002 like disaster. This game might scare Bud into changing this stupid ass rule though, almost really made him look awful again tonight.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
I was rooting for it to keep going with all the pitchers used. I'd have loved to see Bud Selig's stupid ass left to shrug and call it a tie again, having no idea how to determine world series home field. However, it didn't work out that way and baseball NARROWLY avoids a 2002 like disaster. This game might scare Bud into changing this stupid ass rule though, almost really made him look awful again tonight.

Ha, that's exactly what I was hoping for too. In my mind, Young hits into a DP and the inning ends. HISTORIC Yankee stadium is left with the tie and Selig has to squirm his way out of another problem.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)

See 2002 wasn't a disaster though, who the hell cares that it ended in a tie. Nor was it his fault. I honestly didn't care, and I don't see why anyone would.

The right thing to do would be to cap the game at 9, or maybe 10 innings, since it's an exhibition, and let that be the end of it.

I was with you though rooting for this game to never end. Tonight would have been the disaster.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:51 AM)
See 2002 wasn't a disaster though, who the hell cares that it ended in a tie. Nor was it his fault. I honestly didn't care, and I don't see anyone could.

The right thing to do would be to cap the game at 9, or maybe 10 innings, since it's an exhibition, and let that be the end of it.

I was with you though rooting for this game to never end. Tonight would have been the disaster.

Oh I agree 2002 wasn't a disaster, I was at the game and wasn't mad at all they called it a tie. I meant moreso Bud and his cronies thought 2002 was such a disaster that they put in this stupid ass rule to try and override it. I can't imagine how panicked he was tonight during the 15th with the home field thing in place. It's a shame it ended.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
Oh I agree 2002 wasn't a disaster, I was at the game and wasn't mad at all they called it a tie. I meant moreso Bud and his cronies thought 2002 was such a disaster that they put in this stupid ass rule to try and override it. I can't imagine how panicked he was tonight during the 15th with the home field thing in place. It's a shame it ended.

Ok I gotcha then.

This would have been the perfect game to really point out how stupid 2002 was, and we almost got it.

Well really we kinda did, there will be tons of stories written about how retarded this whole night was. It just didn't have the ending where Francona walks out and says "we're done"

I dont know how people can be upset about the game. It was one of the best, if not the best all-star game I have ever been alive for. Sacrifice bunts from all-stars, steals, players thrown out at the plate, take out slides, these players were actually playing to win. When you compare this game to the NFL Pro Bowl or NBA All-Star game the MLB game was hands down better and actually watchable.

I started off the night not watching, thinking it would be a waste of time like all other all-star games. In the 7th I turned it on and watched the rest of the game because it actually meant something. If it was just an exhibition game, I would have turned it off and not even cared.

Some of the problems could easily be rectified to make sure that this situation doesnt happen again:

1) If a pitcher pitched Sunday, allow the team to have a back up pitcher but only for use in extra innings. That way Linc and Kaz are still on the team, just they wont need to risk injury to make sure their team has some one to pitch.

2) Allow the second place vote getter on online voting to be an extra inning replacement on offense. That way both teams would have another player to bring off the bench, but only in the case of an extra inning game.

If either team had even 1 more rested starter, there really isnt a problem.

I guess I just dont understand why people dislike it. Also if lateness is the problem, they could schedule the game on a Saturday/Sunday with a 4-5 pm start time.

Badger, I agree for the most part. What I would like to see is

1. expand the rosters and have 5-10 spots for guys who can only be used for extra innings.

2. The original all stars can be used in extras until the are subbed out.

3. If you run out of players you forfeit.

Under these circumstances teams should be well equipped to last 20+ innings.

Two things that stood out to me:

1) Francona misused F Rodriguez. He should have saved him and started the 9th inning with Rivera. That would have given them another pitcher in the event of extra innings. If the game "means something," the managers really have to manage the game with the idea that the game might go into extra innings. They shouldn't be so worried about clearing their benches and making sure everyone plays. Of course, that's why the fans voting and each team requiring at least one player on the team is a farce. If the game is going to count for something, the teams should be picked differently.

2) The tribute to Bobby Murcer was played in the extra innings. If the game had ended in nine, they wouldn't have done the tribute? Seems kind of weierd to have that and not play it during the first nine innings.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
I dont know how people can be upset about the game. It was one of the best, if not the best all-star game I have ever been alive for. Sacrifice bunts from all-stars, steals, players thrown out at the plate, take out slides, these players were actually playing to win. When you compare this game to the NFL Pro Bowl or NBA All-Star game the MLB game was hands down better and actually watchable.

I started off the night not watching, thinking it would be a waste of time like all other all-star games. In the 7th I turned it on and watched the rest of the game because it actually meant something. If it was just an exhibition game, I would have turned it off and not even cared.

Some of the problems could easily be rectified to make sure that this situation doesnt happen again:

1) If a pitcher pitched Sunday, allow the team to have a back up pitcher but only for use in extra innings. That way Linc and Kaz are still on the team, just they wont need to risk injury to make sure their team has some one to pitch.

2) Allow the second place vote getter on online voting to be an extra inning replacement on offense. That way both teams would have another player to bring off the bench, but only in the case of an extra inning game.

If either team had even 1 more rested starter, there really isnt a problem.

I guess I just dont understand why people dislike it. Also if lateness is the problem, they could schedule the game on a Saturday/Sunday with a 4-5 pm start time.

I can't argue with a word of this post. However, home field advantage for the World Series should not be decided on something as silly as one game between two teams of players who have never played together in what still is a game that does not count in the standings or on the players statistics or managers records. I think it's clear that fan interest is up since the new rule was put in, but deciding home field in the World Series this way is just a crime. It may get more fans interested and more advertisers attention, but it is not fair to the champions of each league.

To run out of pitchers last night was stupid. There is no reason for starters to go 1 inning. Keep 1 or 2 out if there are extra innings.

Every All-Star game should have a DH and a re-entry for injured players.

I also got to admit the fact the Sox would get home field over the cubs crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
To run out of pitchers last night was stupid. There is no reason for starters to go 1 inning. Keep 1 or 2 out if there are extra innings.

Every All-Star game should have a DH and a re-entry for injured players.

I also got to admit the fact the Sox would get home field over the cubs crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

There is no reason for an all-star game to go 15 innings.

Play 9.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
There is no reason for an all-star game to go 15 innings.

Play 9.

Eh, I really don't want to see the game end in a tie.

I kind of like the "Let people back in" proposal. It's an exhibition game, why is that the rule we have to uphold?