CC a Brewer

Heads22

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sorry to see him leave the division to go face the Cubs for the rest of the year. Not sorry at all.

Im curious as to whether the Brewers actually attempt to sign him long term. Props to the Brewers for being able to keep the rest of their high level prospects

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
Im not sorry to see him leave the division to go face the Cubs for the rest of the year. Not sorry at all.

Im curious as to whether the Brewers actually attempt to sign him long term. Props to the Brewers for being able to keep the rest of their high level prospects

If the Brewers can sign him and Sheets, imagine that staff with Gallardo and Parra.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
If the Brewers can sign him and Sheets, imagine that staff with Gallardo and Parra.

Im not gonna be convinced with Gallardo until he gets over his severe case of Kerry Wood-itis

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Im not gonna be convinced with Gallardo until he gets over his severe case of Kerry Wood-itis

Gallardo's injuries are freak accidents, not constant elbow or shoulder problems.

I'll keep rooting for the Brewers, but they still got to find a reliever or two. CC gives them a legit ace though and he should be dominant in the AL. Hopefully its not a rent an ace though and they can somehow really pony up the dough and sign him (Brewers are the most talented team in the NL Central, but they have very poor managing).

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
LOL at Cub fans banking on getting him.

I won 50 dollars. I saw a thread on here talking about him going to the Brewers and my brother the Cubs fan bet me the Cubs would get him but the only way I won is if the Brewers got him. Im a fan.

Is it just me or did the Brewers pull one over on the Indians here? A pretty good AA prospect (LaPorta) and two low level prospects for an ace pitcher? Even if the Indians resign Sabathia, I think they could have gotten more in return.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
GM's just don't hold a ton of value for guys that are going to give you 15 more starts. It's a risky play.

That might be true, but I think the hidden loss here is that the Indians most likely lose the "hometown discount" in an attempt to resign Sabathia. I think this is a pretty significant trade, at least symbolically. If you trade away your ace for prospects a minimum of 1-2 years from MLB, doesn't that indicate you don't expect to contend for 1-2 years?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
GM's just don't hold a ton of value for guys that are going to give you 15 more starts. It's a risky play.

Changing sports, look at what the Pens did with Hossa at the NHL deadline. They gave up a ton to get him, had him for half a season, and came up short for the Cup. It worked out probably better than they expected, as they came as close as you could without getting a championship, but they have nothing to show for ti now, and Hossa is a Red Wing.

It's a risk/reward type gamble a lot of GM's don't want to go all in for.

Still, I really think thats a steal of a deal for the Brewers. Even more so if they are considering signing him long-term because this gives them an exclusive window to negotiate with him and try to work something out. Plus, if they lose him they are getting two draft picks as compensation. So they are essentially giving up a AA stud (with lots of offensive upside) for a proven ace (easily one of the best 3 lefties in all of baseball) for either a few seasons (if they sign him) or the proven ace for a post-season run and 2 draft picks (to replace to an extent what you traded away).

I'd say it was a no-brainer for the Brewers. Even more so when you factor in that LaPorta was without a position on the big league club (Braun/Fielder are both young and very good and play essentially the only two positions LaPorta could play).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
Still, I really think thats a steal of a deal for the Brewers. Even more so if they are considering signing him long-term because this gives them an exclusive window to negotiate with him and try to work something out. Plus, if they lose him they are getting two draft picks as compensation. So they are essentially giving up a AA stud (with lots of offensive upside) for a proven ace (easily one of the best 3 lefties in all of baseball) for either a few seasons (if they sign him) or the proven ace for a post-season run and 2 draft picks (to replace to an extent what you traded away).

I'd say it was a no-brainer for the Brewers. Even more so when you factor in that LaPorta was without a position on the big league club (Braun/Fielder are both young and very good and play essentially the only two positions LaPorta could play).

Those two draft picks seal this as a steal for the Brewers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
They say there is no way the Brewers can extend him during the season. He wants the Yankees to be able to bid and bid they will.

I'm just glad we are done with him for a while.

I read that he preferred to go to the NL so he can hit.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
Apparently I missed a LOT of Kerry Wood basepath collisions.

I knew that he began this year on the DL with a knee injury, then blew out his acl, but I thought that i remembered him hurting himself last year as well. I must have misread that.

Remove Kerry Woods name and insert Mark Prior due to the collision ;)

The Brewers are gonna be interesting to follow for the rest of this year. Their offense seems to be very Tampa Bay-esque when it is rolling, but when they are bad they are Pittsburgh bad. if their pitching can give them some strong innings, and maybe if CC can find his consistent dominance again the Brewers can probably catch the Cubs in a hurry.