Rank our starters

VAfan

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
I'd start:

Vazquez #1 - He can usually get you 7 innings.

Danks #2 - Lefty going before a day off - in case we have to burn the bullpen in this game.

Floyd #3 - Middle game is the safe one.

Contreras #4 - if needed, he usually can go 7.

Buehrle bullpen - has an easy delivery so he can give extra innings, is a lefty, and can hold runners on better than the others.

I can't see how you can justify putting Buehrle in the pen.

This questions is premature, yes. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I'd probably move Floyd to the pen. But since they don't, I think we'll see a lot different answers if the Sox are in position. Neither Danks or Floyd has 200 IP under their belt for a single season. If anyone expects both of those pitchers to keep up their current pace for 3 more months, they've fallen off their rocker. Realistically, I think it'll go Vaz, Buehrle, Contreras and shuffle Floyd/Danks for match ups.

Yes, yes, this is all premature, but it's a pretty fair debate. Again, there's no consensus yet. Also, not too many folks seem to be worried about the pressure of it being the first playoff game for Danks and Floyd.

DANKS -- best ERA, most consistent quality starts, can shut teams down for 6+ innings.

FLOYD -- has wicked curve, power game, has flirted with no hitters, and appears to be the strongest young guy.

CONTRERAS -- has been "the Man," when his fastball is strong his splitter is nasty, won't be intimidated by any opponent, World Series experience.

BUEHRLE -- long term consistency, can shut down an impatient team, best at controlling running games and fielding, World Series experience.

VAZQUEZ -- best strikeout pitcher, has biggest pitching reportoire.

I agree that the opponent, and whether we start at home or on the road should be factors. But since we can't know that right now, I'd lean toward:

1. Floyd or Contreras

2. Danks

3. Floyd or Contreras

4. Buehrle

5. Bullpen -- Javy.

I'd lead with the power pitchers and split the lefties. Danks is outpitching Buehrle. If Jose comes on strong again, he'd get the nod over Floyd. If he's off a little, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Floyd. If he's off a lot, I'd go with Javy 3rd. I put Javy in the bullpen because he's the best strikeout pitcher on the team now that Jenks seems to have lost something. Indeed, if Jenks were shaky, I'd use Javy to close. For one inning he doesn't need to pace himself. Plus, Contreras in the pen is a bad choice becasuse he's the worst at controlling a running game.

Of course, I'm pretty confident this isn't how Ozzie is going to see it. I'm guessing the three vets will go 1-2-3 in some order, with either Danks or Floyd the bullpen guy. That could be a huge mistake. Remember 1995? Jack McDowell couldn't beat Toronto to save himself, but Wilson Alvarez bested them easily. Should have gone with the young guy then.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
Remember 1995? Jack McDowell couldn't beat Toronto to save himself, but Wilson Alvarez bested them easily. Should have gone with the young guy then.

I remember it as 1993.

Plus, McDowell was tipping his pitches and Toronto knew it.

Ha, Gavin Floyd of the 3.22 ERA and 1.12 WHIP isnt consistent enough for people. What would make him consistent?

ERA over his starts

He's been VERY consistent. He's given up 82 hits so far. Thats almost 40 less than our "Ace" Javy, in only 6 less innings. And 12 less than Danks in two more innings.

Talk to me in October. No one would have though in July of 05 that JC would be our best starter going into the playoffs that year. Right now Danks is the best pitcher we got but I would guess that if the season ended today you'd be seeing Mark start game 1 of the ALDS.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
I say we really go unorthodox. Trade our relievers for starting pitchers and go with a 9-man inning rotation. The other teams will never know what hit them.

1st - Danks

2nd - Vazquez

3rd - Buehrle

4th - Floyd

5th - Contreras

6th - Wolf

7th - Harden

8th - Burnett

9th - Bedard

:gosox3:

Why stop at nine? We could have a new starter for every game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
I have no idea. This is something you'd address based on how our guys are throwing at the beginning of October if we get there IMO. The only thing I'm sure of is I'd want Danks and Buehrle both in the 4 man, and broken up with a righty in between them.

No doubt...right now I would go Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, and Contreras...put Javy in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Talk to me in October. No one would have though in July of 05 that JC would be our best starter going into the playoffs that year. Right now Danks is the best pitcher we got but I would guess that if the season ended today you'd be seeing Mark start game 1 of the ALDS.

Nope, I would have told you we should have traded his ass for AJ Burnett and the Sox would have never won the world series, LOL.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
Depending on how Jose does to end the year, he might be the odd man out. Plus, Javy likes wetting his pants on the big stage.

as far as I know, javy has only pitched 11.1 innings (in 1 season, 2004) "on the big stage", and all I can say to that is sample size, i'm not going to judge any pitcher and his "big game" mental toughness when he's only pitched in the playoffs once, games on ESPN/WGN aren't "big stage" games, please. i'd take javier in any of our post season rotations if we make the playoffs this year, over jose. jose's stuff just looks wishy-washy lately, like he's either got nothing left in the tank, or he's not pitching with any confidence. he also is probably the worst on our staff at facing a team like the twins or rays, teams that WILL turn every f***ing base hit into a double because 2B is a free pass when Jose is on the mound, he'd have to be nearly unhittable to counteract that like he was in 2005 against the angels, and right now he's far from that. he can't even locate his forkball anymore, nor can he throw it with any hard/biting velocity like he was at the start of the season

if jose ends 2008 prior to the playoffs looking like april/may jose, then that's another story, but i'll laugh if that happens because i think it's highly unlikely

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
Playoffs are a whole other level and there is no sub for experience. Count, Mark, Javy, fight over the rest.

The concept of playoff experience is overrated.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
You and me both.

Of course every good start Jose made I sat here hoping somehow we'd dump his ass. I've long said I have absolutely zero faith in Jose and unfortunately I have some fear that he's going to pitch himself out of having any trade value over the 2nd half of the season (thus meaning the Sox can't dump his ass in a trade this off-season). His velocity has been trending downward and it makes him much less effective given his true lack of anything but a fastball/forkball.