Cool Standings

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 06:37 AM)
There is a website called coolstandings.com which you may find interesting. It projects each team's likelihood of making the playoffs by playing out millions of games (I'm probably simplifying this) and they say the Sox are a 68% favorite to win the division, compared to Minny's 28%.

Mully and Hanley were just talking about this, I assume you were listening too. It was wierd, they had the Cubs with the best chance of making the playoffs at 85 percent, but the Sox were the best chance to win the division at 68 percent, at least thats what Mully said.

I remember before the season started Mike North (where is he now :D ) said the Sox would be lucky to win 76 games and that the Tigers would win 120 games.

Well even if the Tigers won their last 74 games, they only end up with 118 wins :P

So called Experts are just that " So-Called Experts"

It was wierd, they had the Cubs with the best chance of making the playoffs at 85 percent, but the Sox were the best chance to win the division at 68 percent, at least thats what Mully said.

Much higher chance that the Cubs will be wild card than the Sox will be.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
Nice to see all the "geniuses" who picked the Tribe to win the division... and the Sox to have 70-something wins... doing an about face.

The last couple of years in baseball have been very unpredictable. I can go back to anyone's predictions over the last 5 years (even fans here) to find out how wrong they were in a certain time period.

We all laughed at BP last year for predicting a 72-90 record. They were balls on right then but way off 2005.

Edited by gosox41

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
Well those geniuses were spot on last year. Who could have forcasted the breakouts of Q and Danks?

We were predicted to go 78-84 this year and finish 3rd. With a negative run differential. That's a good laugh.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)
Well those geniuses were spot on last year. Who could have forcasted the breakouts of Q and Danks?

They weren't spot on. They picked a number out of a hat and got lucky in guessing the wins, but nobody saw the White Sox offense being among the worst in baseball last year. You can predict win totals all you want to, but unless the research backs it, I won't believe it's legitimate. Will Carroll can still tell me how my ass tastes.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Nice to see all the "geniuses" who picked the Tribe to win the division... and the Sox to have 70-something wins... doing an about face.

I am absolutely kicking myself about the win projection. I was in Vegas for the tourny in March and Ceasar's had the White Sox over under at around 77 games. I had won money on NCAA and should have bet $200 on the over. I'm not going to lie and say I though they would be this good, but I thought an improved pen alone was worth 6-8 wins. Damn it.

Here is a "cool standings" tidbit to think about... this team was at one time 20-22, if I recall. They are now 51-37 - or 31-15 since that time (a huge .674 clip). 46 games is more than a hot streak. Once this team's offense started to improve a bit, they took off.

Unless the pitching implodes, I think this team is projectable to a pretty huge season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Here is a "cool standings" tidbit to think about... this team was at one time 20-22, if I recall. They are now 51-37 - or 31-15 since that time (a huge .674 clip). 46 games is more than a hot streak. Once this team's offense started to improve a bit, they took off.

Unless the pitching implodes, I think this team is projectable to a pretty huge season.

right now we're on pace for 94 wins.

if you look at your numbers, take out that first 42 and suggest we continue that .674 clip we win 100 games.

now we probably won't do THAT, but between 90-100 wins is now looking like a distinct possibility.