Adios Ozuna?

JDsDirtySox

Papers out in LA are indicating that the Dodgers have had some preliminary discussions surrounding Juan Uribe. My dad told me he heard on talk radio out here that the Sox were actually asking for quality prospects in return as well. In addition, the Dodgers apparently are willing to dangle Matt Kemp for a SS (obviously that wouldn't be Uribe).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
Papers out in LA are indicating that the Dodgers have had some preliminary discussions surrounding Juan Uribe. My dad told me he heard on talk radio out here that the Sox were actually asking for quality prospects in return as well. In addition, the Dodgers apparently are willing to dangle Matt Kemp for a SS (obviously that wouldn't be Uribe).

Yeah I heard they were dangling Kemp to get Jack Wilson of Pittsburgh. Take it for what it's worth.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)

I read they were considering moving Kemp for Jack Wilson.

If that is really the case, I'd rather deal them OC for Kemp, lead him off and play him in center, with Juan moving to ss.

But that's just me.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd hate to see a bench with only one back up IF. Gotta have flexibility.

1B is a non-issue, so you're really only talking about 2B-SS-3B. And Ozuna wasn't very good at any of those, in fact was downright bad the one time I've seen him play SS. Uribe can cover all three, and if the crap hits the fan, they'll figure something out. That would really only be a one game scenario anyway.

If you could get Kemp for OC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Your suddenly improve your OF situation immensely with a kid who will be your CF for the next 10 years. Then, I'd move Alexei to SS and bring up Getz for 2b or even Richar. It would be hard to move OC, but for the future it makes us so much better and even this year, I don't think you'd lose that much. but would the dodgers trade for a FA-to-be?

Order

CF Kemp

C AJ

LF Q

RF Dye

DH Konerko (or Thome)

1b Swish

3B Crede

SS Alexei

2b Getz (or Richar)

That lineup is not much worse, it's worse and your D is gonna suffer but for the future it's very good. But again, would you want to sacrifice maybe a little this year for something pretty good in the future?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
BA is 26. There's no more developing. This has been his best year, but it still hasnt been that great at the plate - gotta send him down.

Ozuna gives you a pinch runner and the chance to move people around in late innings if you need to.

Wise becomes your pinch runner instead of Ozuna. BA is at least a threat to hit the ball over 300 feet and plays GG defense in center. IMO, Anderson is more valuable than Ozuna. Ozuna doesnt do anything that someone else on the bench cant do any more.

That being said, I've loved having Pablo the past few years and would hate to see him go, but in the end I believe it would be the best/most logical move to make.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
If you could get Kemp for OC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Your suddenly improve your OF situation immensely with a kid who will be your CF for the next 10 years. Then, I'd move Alexei to SS and bring up Getz for 2b or even Richar. It would be hard to move OC, but for the future it makes us so much better and even this year, I don't think you'd lose that much. but would the dodgers trade for a FA-to-be?

Order

CF Kemp

C AJ

LF Q

RF Dye

DH Konerko (or Thome)

1b Swish

3B Crede

SS Alexei

2b Getz (or Richar)

That lineup is not much worse, it's worse and your D is gonna suffer but for the future it's very good. But again, would you want to sacrifice maybe a little this year for something pretty good in the future?

speaking of richar, what is his status?

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
speaking of richar, what is his status?

Healthy and improving with the bat. Numbers recovering.

They are juggling Getz and Richar, to get them both playing time, as they are both doing well (Richar lately, Getz for most of the season). Bourgeois is heating up too.

So if Uribe gets traded later, there are definitely some options at Charlotte.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
AAA - .265 / 9 hr / 27 rib / 10 SB, to only 1 CS

thanks.

presuming oc is not resigned, i'd guess alexei moves to short next year. who has the leg up at second--getz or richar?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Yeah I heard they were dangling Kemp to get Jack Wilson of Pittsburgh. Take it for what it's worth.

That would be an absolutely horrid deal for the Dodgers. Oh man, I can't even fathom how bad of a move that would be. Heck, if they are considering Kemp for Wilson, lets find a way to sweeten the pot for the Dodgers. I would send them over a lot more than just Uribe to get Kemp.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
Healthy and improving with the bat. Numbers recovering.

They are juggling Getz and Richar, to get them both playing time, as they are both doing well (Richar lately, Getz for most of the season). Bourgeois is heating up too.

So if Uribe gets traded later, there are definitely some options at Charlotte.

I actually feel Getz and Bourgeois are better replacements for Pablo than Uribe. And, I wouldnt want Richar replacing either as I dont see him being as adept at filling in successfully with limited playing time as I feel the other two could. That and I with Richar probably havinh the most upside, I'd hate to see him go long stretches without getting swings.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
thanks.

presuming oc is not resigned, i'd guess alexei moves to short next year. who has the leg up at second--getz or richar?

I would think Richar, but it would be a spring training battle.

Pablo is the one to go in IMO, but Uribe is the obvious if only because of a $4.5M contract and most likely gone after this season anyway. But, Uribe is a far better glove man and can be the IF super sub, which is the role he played when he first came to the Sox. However, maybe today there won't be any moves except for putting people on the DL? Jenks could be on the 15 day DL, which means Konerko is back in his open spot and nothing is done until after the All-Star break.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
That would be an absolutely horrid deal for the Dodgers. Oh man, I can't even fathom how bad of a move that would be. Heck, if they are considering Kemp for Wilson, lets find a way to sweeten the pot for the Dodgers. I would send them over a lot more than just Uribe to get Kemp.

Getting Kemp is indeed an intiguing possibility, but it creates more issues for us as far as our position players doesn't it?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Pablo is the one to go in IMO, but Uribe is the obvious if only because of a $4.5M contract and most likely gone after this season anyway. But, Uribe is a far better glove man and can be the IF super sub, which is the role he played when he first came to the Sox. However, maybe today there won't be any moves except for putting people on the DL? Jenks could be on the 15 day DL, which means Konerko is back in his open spot and nothing is done until after the All-Star break.

Well with the AS break coming up, I wonder if it'd be better just to DL Jenks to make sure his back gets rest. I'd rather lose him for a week now rather than a month down the road.

Actually, the word on the street now seems that the Pirates are not willing to move Jack Wilson, who is due $7.25 million next season and an $8.4 million club option in 09'.

Also read that the Dodgers did not offer anyone from their mlb roster, as it had been speculated earlier that they were dangling Kemp.

I do wonder if they would have interest in OC, as they seem pretty desperate for a ss. I'm sure Kenny will look into it. Kemp would provide the speed we need, as well as a solid young bat that should develop very nicely over the next few years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)

In a heartbeat. I'm really not following the line of thinking sending the Dodgers OC. Teams in 1st place don't trade their staring SS and leadoff man in the middle of the season. I understand that OC very well may be gone at the end of the year...but I just don't see how that helps this team right now.