The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

I don't really want the argument I'm making here to be in the correct thread:

The media is more ineffective now because of the incorrect claims of bias.

The example: a completely false campaign ad comes out. Even though there are lies in the ad, the news company will have a rep. from both parties come on the show. The side that calls out the lies are merely shown as equal opportunity. The media company won't come out with the truth, they act like the truth is just a side spinning it. It's bulls***, and it's because people will claim bias if the media actually calls out John McCain for being a liar.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Texting while driving and making financial mistakes, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything here, but I wasn't referring to that. You're making a pretty broad assertion here (although you clarified it in this post, and you're not saying that anymore) that anybody that likes Obama or Palin is dumb, and that they do so because the media tells them to think that way. I don't see how this election is any different than any other recent election. Why don't people get credit for coming to their own conclusions anymore just because we factor in popularity?

Maybe I think that people are more naive then dumb. I just feel that people do way to may things because it is popular/chic as oppossed to the reality of the situation and are to lazy to really look into wheather the choice is in their best interest. I think there are a great deal amount of people that are backing a candidate becasue they are following what they think they should do and are not really looking to see if it is in their best interest. I used texting while driving after reading that thread and the mortage crisis after reading that thread as I beleive that a decent amount of common sense would have alleviated both issues. Granted the mortgage thing is more a predatory lending idea but people need to really evaluate the documents before getting into a jam like that.

As for the election, I am starting to really believe that poeple are not sure why they like a candidate. I am not saying everyone is dumb for backing Obama or Palin but that there are a good number of people that are backing them without fully understanding why. Maybe I am the one being naive and everyone is truely certain of their needs, wants and desires. In which case, I apologize.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Maybe I think that people are more naive then dumb. I just feel that people do way to may things because it is popular/chic as oppossed to the reality of the situation and are to lazy to really look into wheather the choice is in their best interest.

I can get with that. I just wasn't sure I understood your logic.

Ever since I was a teenager I've never been too impressed with the collective intelligence level of the public. Having public service jobs started me thinking that. There's a lot of other reasons for that though.

I love Joe Biden:

“John McCain has confessed, and I quote - I want to make sure I get it right - he said, it’s easy for me to be in Washington and frankly be somewhat divorced from the day-to-day challenges people have. Well, he’s right. He’s right. If all you do is walk the halls of power, all you’ll hear is the wants of the powerful. Ladies and gentleman, I believe that’s why John McCain could say with a straight face as recently as this morning, and this is a quote, the fundamentals of the economy are strong. That’s what John said. He says that we’ve made great progress economically, in the Bush years. Ladies and gentlemen, I could walk from here to Lansing, and I wouldn’t run into a single person who thought our economy was doing well, unless I ran into John McCain.”

I'll just paraphrase it. It was in a NYTimes article last week.

So, he's in Columbia on tuesday and together with Him are Judy Baker, running for 9th district for congress and Chuck Graham, running for state senator.

When he first gets up, Biden says "And how great is Chuck Graham? Stand up here Chuck, let everyone get a good look at ya, stand up!"

Of course, Chuck Graham has been in a wheel chair for much of his life. Upon realizing this Biden looks horrified and says

"Oh God what am I saying! God love ya! Oh boy"

some interesting articles I'm about to post:

I'm very interested in Teach for America, so I'm wanting to read this book.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/..._would_it_take/

and I'm gonna edit in another link from a blog by University of Missouri students that sums up freaking perfectly how I feel McCain specifically used the woe is me blame the media during his convention to set up his post-convention spree of complete lies.

http://carpemedia.net/2008/09/15/media-you...ack/#comment-99

Attacks on Palin Spur Criticism of Media, but When Will the Tables Turn on McCain’s Ugly Spin?

Jump to Comments

Beware of losing your head to political spin this election season.

Beware of losing your head to political spin this election season.

by John Hendel

The media’s feeling some heat these days. Particularly partisan heat. A fireball of controversy has exploded in the last few weeks and centers primarily around Governor Sarah Palin and her appearance at the Republican National Convention.

First, we had the repeated swipes against the media at the Twin Cities convention. Then we had accusations over the media’s sexism and its “unfair” coverage of Gov. Palin. When CNN’s Campbell Brown asked McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds some tough questions on Palin, McCain cancelled an appearance on Larry King. And now, aside from the now-infamous Charles Gibson interview, the McCain camp is playing politics over allowing Palin any press access. So what’s new?

One friend of mine says he associates “journalist” with sleaze. He’s not alone. For a lot of people, “journalist” conjures images of a sneaky, effete punk, a son-of-a-b**** liberally biased and bound for deception and misperception. A Harris poll from this past March suggests a distinct lack of trust towards the media; 54 percent said they tended not to trust the press in general. Fair enough. That sentiment has been floating around since the days of yellow journalism and scandal sheets more than a century ago and is unlikely to change for some people.

Interestingly, that same poll revealed a partisan divide. Only 19 percent of Republicans expressed any trust towards the press, compared with 43 percent of Democrats. It’s this divide on which many prominent Republicans were capitalizing at their convention. “I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone,” Palin remarked during her convention speech. And for a senator who had a previously chummy relationship with the press, McCain has been notoriously terse with some members of the media recently.

That disdain serves two purposes. The first is to rally conservatives over a natural and long point of contention: an alleged liberal media bias. In many instances, this may be true. Over at Investor’s Business Daily, William Tate analyzed reporters’ political donations earlier this year and found that 235 gave to Democrats and just 20 gave to Republicans. Then there’s the question of how affiliation translates to coverage. Researchers at the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University found that ABC, NBC, and CBS covered Senator Obama more harshly during the first six weeks of the general election—findings contrary to the conventional wisdom. The studies go on and on, with no clear answers in sight. In the end, belief in a liberal media has flourished and fueled alternative sources for conservatives. (Rush Limbaugh’s talk radio revolution turned 20 years old last month and draws 14 million listeners each week.)

That’s not the real problem, though. Far more disturbing is how McCain has used this war on the media in the past month. The strategy? Slander the mainstream press, say they’ll distort your words, and then repeat your own (distorted) case a million times over. Facts go out the window as claims about kindergarten sex-ed, taxes, Gov. Palin’s record and lipstick sexism run rampant. Political spin is natural on the part of politicians, but this crosses the line past mere spin, shamelessly and demonstrably entering the territory of lies. Even after repeated media corrections, the false claims continue ad nauseam.

Bear with me and consider the range of sources agreeing on the deception: the Washington Post, the Columbia Journalism Review, Time, factcheck.org and even the Associated Press. (There are even lies about factcheck.org, says the site: read more.)

Political bias—a variety of inclinations—seeps into the press. Journalists are hardly perfect and are usually quick to acknowledge this themselves. But to use that as a scapegoat for slander? To exploit conservative emotion to blatantly ignore facts and promote lies? Please. The public knows better, and the media will keep asking the tough questions. Reporters see what’s happening, and with tensions rising, there won’t be any free passes for this kind of stuff.

At least, I sure hope not.

Edited by bmags

Just one thing, often posted here was a table showing the amount of money donated to democrats and republicans from major news organizations. What I think makes that hilariously inept, is that Fox news donated more money to democrats than republicans, making the presumption of the poll (political contributions show liberal bias) false, in my opinion.

I think I'll just start referring to McCain as OFM.

Old f*** McCain.

Anywho, I think we can probably list Iowa for Obama now, as his lead there grows to 52-40.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS09/80913038

prestraits570.png

Chief among them are independents, 49 percent of whom say they prefer Obama, compared to 36 percent who say they support McCain.

The Alaska governor, who has five children, is seen by the McCain campaign as having special appeal among women. But Obama led by a healthy margin among Iowa women voters, 53 percent of whom preferred the Illinois senator, compared to 39 percent for McCain.

The poll's findings also underscore Obama's popularity among younger voters. Those under 35 years old preferred Obama over McCain by a 2-to-1 margin.

Still, McCain has some advantages that could be meaningful on Election Day. More than half of voters who describe themselves as evangelical Christians favor McCain, compared to less than 40 percent who back Obama.

I'd actually guess that's a better than average showing among Evangelicals for Obama.