The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)
It's never good when you get booed at a photo-op:

Did McCain-Palin campaign not realize they were in Philly? Those people boo'd santa clause for goodness sakes.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obama Advertising in.... Video Games?

A gamer has posted images of a billboard advertising Barack Obama’s presidential campaign which he says he came across while cruising the streets in the racing game Burnout Paradise for Xbox 360:

obamaad.png

The Obama campaign and publisher Electronic Arts haven’t responded to press inquiries, leading bloggers to speculate whether the ad is just crafty Photoshop work or a real attempt to reach youngsters. Either way, as GigaOM’s Wagner James Au writes, the news raises an interesting question: Are in-game political ads a good idea?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so, here it is...

We've talked in here a lot lately about some of the goofy, pedantic, petty and/or untrue personal attacks made on both candidates. We've wondered aloud which ones were even worth believing or mentioning, which ones matter and how much. One of the oldest and least believable in the books for this election is the old "Obama is a muslim" or "Obama is an Arab" schmear.

So here, in case you were curious, is how the Trib sees it having started. Ground zero is, apparently, Andy Martin, aka Anthony Martin-Trigona. Sort of an interesting read. Martin is quite the character, and appears to be a bit off his rocker. Hannity hosted him on a major Fox News expose this past week, as a source for the Obama character study. Love me some Faux News.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)
I wasn't sure where to put this, so, here it is...

We've talked in here a lot lately about some of the goofy, pedantic, petty and/or untrue personal attacks made on both candidates. We've wondered aloud which ones were even worth believing or mentioning, which ones matter and how much. One of the oldest and least believable in the books for this election is the old "Obama is a muslim" or "Obama is an Arab" schmear.

So here, in case you were curious, is how the Trib sees it having started. Ground zero is, apparently, Andy Martin, aka Anthony Martin-Trigona. Sort of an interesting read. Martin is quite the character, and appears to be a bit off his rocker. Hannity hosted him on a major Fox News expose this past week, as a source for the Obama character study. Love me some Faux News.

Sean Hannity is one of the reasons RSO is our next president. Even Limbaugh isn't this stupid, nor are many of the other "conservative blowhards". There is parody, and there is actually trying to scare people, and it will backfire.

LOL, that whole video is priceless. "Few people know that community organizing is actually training to overthrow the government. I mean here he was, in NY making 50-60 thousand a year, and he comes to Chicago to make little? Hard to believe, I think New York he probably met Bill Ayers who convinced him to come to Chicago, and then Obama trained under Bill Ayers while there"

hahahaha. What's funnier than this, is Hannity calls himself a journalist. My friend, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
LOL, that whole video is priceless. "Few people know that community organizing is actually training to overthrow the government. I mean here he was, in NY making 50-60 thousand a year, and he comes to Chicago to make little? Hard to believe, I think New York he probably met Bill Ayers who convinced him to come to Chicago, and then Obama trained under Bill Ayers while there"

hahahaha. What's funnier than this, is Hannity calls himself a journalist. My friend, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

That man is slime.

Rick Davis, McCain's campaign manager, posed it as a question.

"Do we really believe that the American public is going to feel safe by having both the head of the Congress and the head of the White House from the same party that has had so many challenges with the way they’ve run Washington over the last couple of years?"

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a frequent McCain surrogate and vice presidential runner-up, fleshed out the argument.

"I don’t think the country is going to like the Democratic Party running the table on taxes, on education, on health care and have kind of the liberal, unchecked, imbalanced approach to all of those issues,"

So, it was OK for Bush to go unchecked for 6 years, but the moment the democrats are ready to take charge... oh crap! this is bad!

PERSONALLY, I do think that having a split party Congress/WH is usually a good thing. HOWEVER, for the next few years, I want to see Health Care done, so the Repubs can go sit in a corner and cry about following their leader. But clearly the tensions between Clinton and Gingrich led to some fiscal responsibility that really moved us forward. Unfortunately of course, that fiscal house GOP method that took over in 94 turned into the evangelical conservatives of today.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
PERSONALLY, I do think that having a split party Congress/WH is usually a good thing. HOWEVER, for the next few years, I want to see Health Care done, so the Repubs can go sit in a corner and cry about following their leader. But clearly the tensions between Clinton and Gingrich led to some fiscal responsibility that really moved us forward. Unfortunately of course, that fiscal house GOP method that took over in 94 turned into the evangelical conservatives of today.

I agree that its usually a good thing. I also agree that for a couple years anyway, to get some things done on the environment and other areas, it should be an OK thing for there to be single party majority control.

It won't last long that way in any case. It never does.

Ok so in that pic the headline is saying how she is criticizing Obama and Biden for "talking about the past" (read: very recent history, after the last presidential election). But I'd bet my mortgage that in that same speech/event/rally she brings up at the very least Ayers... from 40 years ago. Make up your mind, woman. Then again I shouldn't be surprised, these are the same people that say things like "Obama is an Arab" (as if that is some horrible thing) or "Obama is a Muslim" when at the same time they rip into him for going to Jeremiah Wright's church. It's got to be one or the other, guys.

Here's another pretty catch from over the weekend. The Washington Post's definition of tossup/lean McCain/lean Obama.

Obama +13.8%: Battleground state (PA)

Obama +10.4%: Battleground state (NH)

Obama +10.0%: Battleground state (NJ)

Obama +9.5%: Battleground state (IA)

Obama +9.0%: Battleground state (OR)

Obama +8.2%: Battleground state (MN)

Obama +8.2%: Battleground state (MI)

Obama +8.8%: Battleground state (WI)

Obama +7.3%: Battleground state (NM)

McCain +6.8%: Leaning Republican (GA)

Obama +5.1%: Battleground state (VA)

Obama +4.0%: Battleground state (CO)

McCain +3.8%: Leaning Republican (IN)

Obama +3.5%: Battleground state (OH)

Obama +3.1%: Battleground state (FL)

Obama +3.0%: Battleground state (NV)

McCain +2.2%: Leaning Republican (WV)

Notice anything wrong with this list?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Here's another pretty catch from over the weekend. The Washington Post's definition of tossup/lean McCain/lean Obama.

it's just the media trying to not seem like they are pulling for Obama and keep the drama. Ohh... PA is a toss up. umm.. no. not really.

If they were honest and looked at the polls, all they'd have to say is that "based on CURRENT polling, Obama would win the election by a landslide, but this can change from day to day".

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
it's just the media trying to not seem like they are pulling for Obama and keep the drama. Ohh... PA is a toss up. umm.. no. not really.

If they were honest and looked at the polls, all they'd have to say is that "based on CURRENT polling, Obama would win the election by a landslide, but this can change from day to day".

I know that was a good catch, but really I think it's just laziness. If you look at the states, the ones listed as battlegrounds are such because of their history. And the ones that "lean mccain" were ones that would've. It's just like they were too lazy to change the titles. Because I think PA should be a "battleground" state, but Obama is killing it right now. I mean...there aren't many states left, VA, NC, NV and now what ND are the close states? This is absurd

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
By the way, McCain is now Robocalling Iowans saying McCain came running to Iowa to survey the damage while Obama and Congress took a vacation. And by the way, it's FEMA's job to help flood victims, not congress.

I guess he forgot the part where he came to Iowa AGAINST the wishes of state officials who didn't want Obama or McCain's large entourages to interfere with flood relief.

Quick follow up to this, I had forgotten, but Obama used his e-mail list to solicit financial help for Red Cross relief in Iowa and rallied volunteers to help.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)

I just really laugh at people who want to see government run health care. NEWS FLASH: IT WILL NOT BE ANY BETTER THEN WHAT WE HAVE TODAY.

No offense personally, bmags. It just is not an issue I will EVER trust the government to get right. People will die that don't today. It's just about that simple.

/waiting for 10 billion articles from leftist blogs telling me how I'm wrong and how f'ed up today's sytem is (yes, s*** happens), but I know from personal experience from working in the industry. It will not be better, but just go on drinking the kool-aid.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I just really laugh at people who want to see government run health care. NEWS FLASH: IT WILL NOT BE ANY BETTER THEN WHAT WE HAVE TODAY.

No offense personally, bmags. It just is not an issue I will EVER trust the government to get right. People will die that don't today. It's just about that simple.

/waiting for 10 billion articles from leftist blogs telling me how I'm wrong and how f'ed up today's sytem is (yes, s*** happens), but I know from personal experience from working in the industry. It will not be better, but just go on drinking the kool-aid.

government run health care vs privately run is a situation where both sides have critical flaws.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
government run health care vs privately run is a situation where both sides have critical flaws.

I agree, but one is lesser of two evils. What do you think the government is going to do with all this information? People b**** all the time about the Patriot Act, now we are giving them carte blanche access to every medical record in the country? How long will it be before they decide what they will treat and what they won't? Etc.?

Absolutely, there's problems with today's health care, but it will get MUCH worse under the government.