• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
I can think of no better tribute to the 43rd President of the United States than having his appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Roberts, flub the Oath of office of his successor.

I know this is the Dem thread, but can you PLEASE get rid of your hatred now? It's over.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
I know this is the Dem thread, but can you PLEASE get rid of your hatred now? It's over.

Frankly, no. I viscerally despise that man. I am a Democrat because the Republicans nominated him in 2000. The man has screwed up virtually everything he touched. He has repeatedly broken the law. And proudly admits it. This man has moved this country literally as close to the brink of disaster as it has been since probably 1932. This man has the blood of thousands of people, probably hundreds of thousands of people, on his hands. This man ordered people tortured to death in our names. He has soured the face of America for an entire generation of the world's inhabitants. This man has been an utter disaster for this country and for this world, and the damage he has done will take years to overcome, if it is ever undone.

And you know the worst part? If you listen to his press availabilities over the past month...he doesn't understand one bit how anyone could think he did a single thing wrong. He thinks his mistakes in New Orleans was not landing Air Force One there, not all of the other things screwed up beforehand. He thinks the reason people stopped liking him was because he picked the wrong time to push to destroy Social Security. He thinks the economic collapse and 9/11 were totally random events that had nothing to do with any specific government actions or policies.

I really can't put in to words how glad I am to see him gone. I'd say that if Senator McCain had won. His Successor could make a wrong decision every time he had a choice to make over 8 years, and then only would tie 43 in how much damage he does. It is theoretically impossible to do a worse job. And not only that, he thinks it had nothing at all to do with him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Frankly, no. I viscerally despise that man. I am a Democrat because the Republicans nominated him in 2000. The man has screwed up virtually everything he touched. He has repeatedly broken the law. And proudly admits it. This man has moved this country literally as close to the brink of disaster as it has been since probably 1932. This man has the blood of thousands of people, probably hundreds of thousands of people, on his hands. This man ordered people tortured to death in our names. He has soured the face of America for an entire generation of the world's inhabitants. This man has been an utter disaster for this country and for this world, and the damage he has done will take years to overcome, if it is ever undone.

And you know the worst part? If you listen to his press availabilities over the past month...he doesn't understand one bit how anyone could think he did a single thing wrong. He thinks his mistakes in New Orleans was not landing Air Force One there, not all of the other things screwed up beforehand. He thinks the reason people stopped liking him was because he picked the wrong time to push to destroy Social Security. He thinks the economic collapse and 9/11 were totally random events that had nothing to do with any specific government actions or policies.

I really can't put in to words how glad I am to see him gone. I'd say that if Senator McCain had won. His Successor could make a wrong decision every time he had a choice to make over 8 years, and then only would tie 43 in how much damage he does. It is theoretically impossible to do a worse job. And not only that, he thinks it had nothing at all to do with him.

Let him vent, but after today lets move on.

Well, he was pretty awful. Worst since the depression, I'd agree. He made a lot of really bad decisions, and I too was flabbergasted that people voted for him again in 2004. I was embarrassed for my country after that election.

That all said, your post is pretty over the top. What is theoretically impossible is for Bush not to have done SOME things right, and he did. We made a thread about it once, you may recall.

I understand the anger, though. Bush 43 was a disaster as a President, he was stunningly ignorant for a person at his level, and many bad things happened as a direct or indirect result of his incompetence. So please return to your regularly scheduled venting.

Please. Almost everything you say here would be over the top as Kaperbole. You give him WAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit to say he (sic - his administration) did all this. Most of what we are dealing with have been decades in the making. It's the thinking here that has America so bitter in so many ways. I guess Bush Derangement Syndrome is alive and well.

I do think that he made very poor decisions. But I also think that some things he did will be much more understood with time.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
But I also think that some things he did will be much more understood with time.

You're right. In 20 years we'll realize that the unfathomable instability in the middle east (because right now it's slightly fathomable) was triggered by his idea to start a war against a sovereign nation.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
You're right. In 20 years we'll realize that the unfathomable instability in the middle east (because right now it's slightly fathomable) was triggered by his idea to start a war against a sovereign nation.

The Iraq War was a colossal mistake, and one he should be judged harshly on. But instability in that region was just as high at times, and even higher on occasion, than it is now. That region was a powderkeg long before Bush further stoked the fire.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
The Iraq War was a colossal mistake, and one he should be judged harshly on. But instability in that region was just as high at times, and even higher on occasion, than it is now. That region was a powderkeg long before Bush further stoked the fire.

I was just trying to find one example where, with time, his presidency might even look worse than now. All these conservatives keep saying "Time will tell" with the implied assumption that we'll look at his presidency more favorably. I'm saying we might learn more and realize it was worse than first imagined.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
I was just trying to find one example where, with time, his presidency might even look worse than now. All these conservatives keep saying "Time will tell" with the implied assumption that we'll look at his presidency more favorably. I'm saying we might learn more and realize it was worse than first imagined.

It's a possibility, no question. But until we know what all has really happened, I don't think anyone really knows.

I think this is an interesting and spot-on analysis of the views of the media of each administration.

Bush and Cheney viewed themselves in a manichean struggle with the forces arrayed against them, a list that includes not jihadists but the federal bureaucracy, the Democratic Party, reality itself! — and the media. As Jay Rosen has pointed out, they attempted to “de-certify” the media by strangling its access to information and using a variety of alternative, propagandistic avenues to get its message across. This proved disastrous.

Like Bush, Obama appears to view the media agenda in fundamental conflict with his own. But now, the perceived difference isn’t ideological. It’s programmatic. Obama (correctly, I think) sees the press representing two things that are clear obstacles to his ambitious plans: official Washington and a trivia-obsessed media culture.

First, the official Washington view: There’s a certain, Broderesque way of doing things. Be centrist, bipartisan - especially if you’re a Democratic president. Listen to the conservative talking heads who dominate Sunday talk shows, who will advise you to be … conservative. This world, shaped by the rise of conservative media since the Reagan era, remains several steps behind where the country is, or is ready to be, on politics and policy.

Second, the media culture: The cable maw must be fed with transient panics. Feeding frenzies and micro-scandals dominate. They fuel the chat shows, opinion columns and blogs. These faux crises and dramas, which usually pass with little consequence, can knock a presidential agenda off-stride or even destroy it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
This photo will be hanging all over the country for the next 4 8 years.

obamaofficialphoto.jpg

So, at work, this picture is now the first one in the row of chain of command pictures, I just noticed today. It didn't occur to me to look until this morning, it was probably changed Tuesday. It's gonna take some getting used to because due to the fact that I basically joined the Army at the start of the Bush administration - and have since gotten out - I have literally never seen anyone else in that space besides Bush. It just looks so different. Almost jarring, even.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
The Vice President's estate is no longer pixelated out on Google earth.

You know, I am no fan of Dick Cheney (in case that wasn't obvious), but I personally think that this was not a good idea. His and Bush's properties should really be permanently obscured. Just my opinion.