• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and also she tries to make it sound like she used some restraint when she made those comments. God, what is her regular personality like if this is what she considers "restraint"? In her off time does she practice Hitler speeches and the Heil Hitler salute in the mirror at home? She gives counseling sessions at Klan rallies? She is a mod on nsm88.org? I mean, really.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
A talk radio icon is complaining about not having her 1A rights.

Read that again.

Awesome.

I think its Sarah Palin that's whining the most loudly about this, not Dr. Laura.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I think its Sarah Palin that's whining the most loudly about this, not Dr. Laura.

KING: So, what are you here to tell us tonight?

SCHLESSINGER: Well, I'm here to say that my contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year and I have made the decision not to do radio anymore. The reason is: I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind, and in my heart, what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent, and attack affiliates and attack sponsors.

I'm sort of done with that. I'm not retiring. I'm not quitting. I feel energized actually, stronger and freer to say the things that I believe need to be said for people in this country.

KING: So, you're giving up -- you are giving up the one area of your fame?

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, my dear. I write books. I have blogs. I have my Web site.

KING: But people think Dr. Laura, they think her radio talk show.

SCHLESSINGER: This is the area -- this is the era of the Internet.

KING: So, you are going to do Internet stuff?

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, yes, I am now.

KING: Why is your freedom of speech denied on radio?

(CROSSTALK)

KING: Because people can criticize what you say.

SCHLESSINGER: You know, when I started in radio, if you said something somebody didn't agree with and they didn't like, they argued with you. Now, they try to silence you. They try to wipe out your ability to earn a living and to have your job. They go after affiliates. They send threats to sponsors.

KING: That's their right, too.

SCHLESSINGER: Yes, but I don't hatch the right to say what I need to say. My First Amendment rights have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate. They want to eliminate.

So, that's why I decided it was time to move on to other venues where I could say my piece and not have to live in fear anymore that sponsors and their families are going to be upset, radio stations are going to be upset, my peeps, as I call them, are going to be upset. KING: Did you tell your syndicate today? The people who syndicate you?

SCHLESSINGER: Ten minutes before I came on.

KING: This show?

SCHLESSINGER: Yes.

Link with video.

Because we need some cheerleading now and again: Mr. Eugene Robinson.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0081904771.html

This is a radical break from journalistic convention, I realize, but today I'd like to give credit where it's due -- specifically, to President Obama. Quiet as it's kept, he's on a genuine winning streak.

It's hard to remember that the inauguration was just 19 months ago. Expectations of the new president were absurdly high. If Obama had done back flips across the Potomac River, when he reached the other side he'd have faced probing questions about why it was taking him so long to cure cancer, solve the Arab-Israeli conflict and usher in an age of universal peace and prosperity.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Because we need some cheerleading now and again: Mr. Eugene Robinson.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0081904771.html

You know what that reminds me of? The people (including some here) who back in 2006 were saying that the economy was great and it was just the liberal media that didn't want to give credit to W for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
You know what that reminds me of? The people (including some here) who back in 2006 were saying that the economy was great and it was just the liberal media that didn't want to give credit to W for it.

I'll give you that. But there are some actual victories here. In a few of these situations, the administration really has been making chicken salad out of chickens*** and some modest recognition of that is good to see every so often.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
I'll give you that. But there are some actual victories here. In a few of these situations, the administration really has been making chicken salad out of chickens*** and some modest recognition of that is good to see every so often.

My biggest complaint is that they've weasled their way into several of their current issues. The Health Care fight dragged on and the most popular parts of the bill were lost? That was a choice. The stimulus was too small and now we're back facing the 2nd dip? Choice.

Such views were unfortunately not on display at Sunday's rally. Indeed, in tone and in the personalities it attracted, Sunday's rally was far different from the many Ground Zero gatherings and memorial services of recent years.

Only a handful of victims' relatives came on Sunday.

Sunday's crowd included representatives of the conservative Tea Party movement, some of them wearing anti-tax T-shirts that had nothing to do with Ground Zero, Islam or terrorism.

"We must take a stand and we must say no," shouted rally organizer Pamela Geller as the crowd roared approval. Moments later, another keynote speaker, Robert Spencer, sparked more cheers when he asked, "Are you tired of being lied to?"

Spencer, however, did not explain precisely what lies he was referring to.

Many protesters held American flags. Many carried signs.

"A Mosque at Ground Zero Spits on the Graves of 9/11," one placard proclaimed. Another sign depicted a toilet, with this message: "This is a Mosque. Do You Want it Built at Ground Zero?"

At one point, a portion of the crowd menacingly surrounded two Egyptian men who were speaking Arabic and were thought to be Muslims.

"Go home," several shouted from the crowd.

"Get out," others shouted.

In fact, the two men – Joseph Nassralla and Karam El Masry — were not Muslims at all. They turned out to be Egyptian Coptic Christians who work for a California-based Christian satellite TV station called "The Way." Both said they had come to protest the mosque.

"I'm a Christian," Nassralla shouted to the crowd, his eyes bulging and beads of sweat rolling down his face.

But it was no use. The protesters had become so angry at what they thought were Muslims that New York City police officers had to rush in and pull Nassralla and El Masry to safety.

"I flew nine hours in an airplane to come here," a frustrated Nassralla said afterward.

Yup.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)

Read that again.

Awesome.

Really. "My First Amendment rights have been usurped by angry, hateful groups." Yeah, none of which involve official, government actors, and thus, you know, implicate the First Amendment.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Really. "My First Amendment rights have been usurped by angry, hateful groups." Yeah, none of which involve official, government actors, and thus, you know, implicate the First Amendment.

My opinion is that Dr. Laura is being disingenuous but Palin is too stupid to know the difference.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
My biggest complaint is that they've weasled their way into several of their current issues. The Health Care fight dragged on and the most popular parts of the bill were lost? That was a choice. The stimulus was too small and now we're back facing the 2nd dip? Choice.

True but the fact that we've gotten anything at all done in Health Care is frankly, impressive. Nobody's done anything since LBJ. Nixon couldn't get it done, nor could Carter or Clinton.

The stimulus bill did, in my opinion, keep things from being much worse than they currently are - and a second stimulus is probably needed, IMO.

If you consider what has been accomplished in the first 19 months of this administration, the list of achievements is pretty long, especially when compared with other administrations, no matter what you argue the benefits or drawbacks have been.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
True but the fact that we've gotten anything at all done in Health Care is frankly, impressive. Nobody's done anything since LBJ. Nixon couldn't get it done, nor could Carter or Clinton.

The stimulus bill did, in my opinion, keep things from being much worse than they currently are - and a second stimulus is probably needed, IMO.

If you consider what has been accomplished in the first 19 months of this administration, the list of achievements is pretty long, especially when compared with other administrations, no matter what you argue the benefits or drawbacks have been.

You're certainly correct on both of those. However they still shot themselves in the foot waiting on the "bipartisanship" in the Senate that was never coming, and they definitely miscalculated in not aiming for what was actually necessary on the first stimulus and letting Congress hack it downwards.

Late edit: oh, and the HAMP program was an unmitigated disaster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Thankfully, Tax cuts never have to be paid for and wars don't count.

when does the Afghan war end Balta? how about right now. it's up to your lord and savior Obamacus Maximus.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Neither does health care, social security, medicare, medicaid, or any other "fund" that is supposed to be set aside and is now used by your democrat majority so that China can bankroll our "stimulus".

Because without China...no one would want U.S. treasury bills right now.