• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
I am tired of Eric Holder picking and choosing what he wants and does not want to enforce. Worst AG in US history.

I agree. It's still ridiculous that there are no bankers in jail from the 2008 collapse and no one in jail from the torture program.

Something tells me you weren't thinking of that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
So the Tribune had a poll with Rahm behind CTU head Karen Lewis the other day. I wouldn't expect that to hold up in an actual race, but Rahm has been pretty awful.

I think Karen Lewis would be way worse. Rahm has my vote (can't believe i just said that).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Depending on the source of the law, he (well, the President) may have that right.

He absolutely does. Law enforcement resources aren't infinite, so there absolutely must be a choice of the level of resources to commit to fighting any particular crime.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
He absolutely does. Law enforcement resources aren't infinite, so there absolutely must be a choice of the level of resources to commit to fighting any particular crime.

Which is why he is going to waste, I mean invest!, resources into investigating the beheading by ISIS.

Not sure it's specifically democrat, but didn't want to start new thread.

I stopped donating my paltry sum to my uni after it's once pretty good efforts to continue to keep KC and STL city students coming dropped off. I have not found a good replacement college, so I donate elsewhere.

I didn't know Buzzfeed did long-form journalism, but I thought this look inside The Villages, a retirement community in central Florida that's the largest in the country, was really interesting. Not necessarily partisan political, but didn't know where else to dump it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/likethebreadorthed...retirem#2gg4dcz

100,000 seniors with more money than brains? Sounds like the kind of place I need to head straight to when I turn 55. I could probably win enough at poker to pay for my house within a year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)

I don't disagree with it and, as is pointed out, the "fixes" are not straightforward given their cost to the schools. What you often see at schools that stake the claim that they are diverse is that, in fact, there are lots of sons and daughters of lawyers, doctors, and businesspeople...it's just that those lawyers, doctors, and businesspeople come from lots of different racial and ethnic backgrounds.

I don't have a problem with claiming they are diverse, I have a problem with how schools in fundraising efforts continue to show off how hard they try to help out low-income students when in fact they are purposely not trying that hard. It IS more expensive to get those kids, but that where I want my money to go, not a new book store every ten years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't have a problem with claiming they are diverse, I have a problem with how schools in fundraising efforts continue to show off how hard they try to help out low-income students when in fact they are purposely not trying that hard. It IS more expensive to get those kids, but that where I want my money to go, not a new book store every ten years.

I still don't see why this is the responsibility of the school though. Kids shouldn't have to be sold on getting an education. If "you'll make X amount more money with a degree than without" doesn't get through to them, I don't know what will. Hell, here in the city CPS now pays for school meals. They have in the past, but now it's being used as a marketing tool. "Get your kid to school and they can eat, for free!" How f***ing sad is that?

Move some tax dollars to increase resources for college-prep and college planning at high schools. I can get behind that. But to expect universities - who turn away qualified candidates willing to pay their way - to spend tons of money to basically recruit kids, just for the sake of diversity? Nope. Pass.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
I still don't see why this is the responsibility of the school though. Kids shouldn't have to be sold on getting an education. If "you'll make X amount more money with a degree than without" doesn't get through to them, I don't know what will. Hell, here in the city CPS now pays for school meals. They have in the past, but now it's being used as a marketing tool. "Get your kid to school and they can eat, for free!" How f***ing sad is that?

Move some tax dollars to increase resources for college-prep and college planning at high schools. I can get behind that. But to expect universities - who turn away qualified candidates willing to pay their way - to spend tons of money to basically recruit kids, just for the sake of diversity? Nope. Pass.

That's fine if you went to a private school, but I went to a state school and I believe it is their responsibility to make sure they exhaust their resources to make sure as many students in the state have a chance as possible. That doesn't mean that they should allow a kid with a 13 on their ACT, but it does mean that if they continue to raise ACT and tuition to raise their "status" as a university by improving their inputs, than I won't give them a dime.

And despite your claims, studies continue to show that students in low income areas do not realize how much financial aid is available to them. They see the sticker price and believe they cannot afford it. It's not that they aren't smart enough to get into college, it's that they do not realize they can.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
That's fine if you went to a private school, but I went to a state school and I believe it is their responsibility to make sure they exhaust their resources to make sure as many students in the state have a chance as possible. That doesn't mean that they should allow a kid with a 13 on their ACT, but it does mean that if they continue to raise ACT and tuition to raise their "status" as a university by improving their inputs, than I won't give them a dime.

And despite your claims, studies continue to show that students in low income areas do not realize how much financial aid is available to them. They see the sticker price and believe they cannot afford it. It's not that they aren't smart enough to get into college, it's that they do not realize they can.

Then that's the fault of the high school, not a college. Why should a college - even a public college - spend its money to recruit students and teach them about financial aid when there's no guarantee the kid will go to the school? That doesn't make sense.

I just think it's BS that we continue to ignore qualified people willing to pay for school just for the sake of diversity. Yes, diversity is a good thing. Getting more minorities into higher education is a good thing. But it shouldn't be at the expense of other students. My school decided that, in the name of diversity, it would ship in 30 inner-city kids from Detroit and give them free rides. Most wouldn't have gotten into the school based on their grades and ACT scores. But because it sounds good to market to alumni that they brought in 30 inner-city kids, they did it anyway. They passed on 30 other qualified students just to say they were more diverse (even though the school was still like 97% white). To me that's a bunch of BS. Colleges not working hard enough to be diverse isn't the problem. The problem with diversity in higher education begins much, much earlier than college.

I'm not gonna cry over kids that can afford to pay their own way and are "qualified". Those kids are going to find a college. If they were passed over for the sake of "diversity" they were on the fringe anyway, with the same resume as 5-10k other kids.

Talk to someone in college admissions. Every kid has the same resume, they are shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh, no, you had to go to Iowa instead of Illinois? Your life is over! You will die, you poor child who probably were born to a well off enough family to go to a good school and will leave college without debt, WHY IS LIFE SO UNFAIIIR WHYYYYYY

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I'm not gonna cry over kids that can afford to pay their own way and are "qualified". Those kids are going to find a college. If they were passed over for the sake of "diversity" they were on the fringe anyway, with the same resume as 5-10k other kids.

Talk to someone in college admissions. Every kid has the same resume, they are shooting fish in a barrel.

Oh, no, you had to go to Iowa instead of Illinois? Your life is over! You will die, you poor child who probably were born to a well off enough family to go to a good school and will leave college without debt, WHY IS LIFE SO UNFAIIIR WHYYYYYY

Sounds like separate but equal to me.