The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
Well, they were. I get the impression from a pilot I know, that many of the senior captains retired or took cuts, and other pilots the same. I think at this point, six figures for a pilot is probably rare.

No, it's not. Not for "captains". Even F/O's still make six figures, considering most of them have a lot of years of experience.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else feel that when the high holiness of the GOP, Bobby Jindal, WALKED in for his speech, it was as if he were the president walking in to make his address? I think every other "rebuttal" I've ever seen was with the person sitting down or already in the room.

Hence the "Oh God" reaction, by Chris Matthews.

And by the way, Jindal is getting ripped by his own party for a lame presentation.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
I only saw the last 10 minutes of Obama's speech and didn't see Jindal's speech but my wife asked if he bothered to read/watch anything Obama actually said.

most of the rebuttal speeches are written well ahead of the actual speech and at best are based on excepts.

Jindal was a pure "red meat" speech.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Yeah but has anyone seen his birth certificate?

Jindal was clearly not born in America and no evidence will make me thing otherwise.

I am the inverse Alan Keyes... and I have spoken.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
For those who havent seen it

Last night was a really bad night for the GOP in my not so educated opinion. I thought that was the best speech I have seen Obama give at any point in time, and Jindal's response, particularly the way in which he delivered it, was not very good. I am not exactly feeling good about admitting that, but I have to be honest and call it like I see it.

I thought (and have mentioned on these boards as much) that Jindal was the leader for the 2012 nomination, but I sure as hell hope I'm wrong after watching the presentation of that speech. He seemed to be talking down to his audience, said very little in terms of detail or new ideas the GOP has, and almost appeared to not watch Obama's speech. I know the response is written ahead of time based on exerts from the original speech, but the response felt almost random and unrelated to what Obama said.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Ok, Governor Jindal, seriously, now it's personal.

While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a "magnetic levitation" line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called "volcano monitoring." Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C.

Bobby Jindal is opposed to me having a job, and Bobby Jindal wants you all to die in volcanic eruptions.

$300 million to buy fuel efficient vehicles. I guess he doesn't want us to have the ability to save money in the long term. Obama even mentioned the short-sightedness of people in Washington and Wall Street. Too bad Jindal didn't listen to the speech.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
I really don't think it's fair to compare someone's speaking ability to Obama's though. Who DOES compare to Obama's speaking ability, right now?

My thoughts on Obama's speech had nothing to do with his speaking ability, which I pretty much ignore when watching him speak. I thought the content of his speech was actually very, very good for once. The only time I pay attention to speaking ability is if I thought it was really bad, and Jindal fell into that category, which is bad because the content of his speech was also very bland and unoriginal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)

Bobby Jindal is opposed to me having a job, and Bobby Jindal wants you all to die in volcanic eruptions.

Sounds like politicians who complain about "wasting" money to study fruit flies without having any understanding of why they're studying fruit flies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)

While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a "magnetic levitation" line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called "volcano monitoring." Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C.

WTF? There sure as heck is waste in the bill. But those three items are not waste at all. In fact, the first two (fuel efficient cars, high speed rail) are fantastic ideas that are exactly where we should be putting the money. Now, I also like the idea of keeping some track of volcanism, though I can see an argument that it isn't a "stimulus" item.

In any case, what Jindal did here was manage to highlight good things in the bill, which I suppose is the opposite of his intent. If the rest of his speech was like this, it must have been a disaster.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Now of course, Obama's speech is the second coming of the almighty, and the response is a turd GOP response. It's always that way, isn't it?

*yawn*

Note: I'm not stating my opinion, I'm stating the responses to both.

...you're in the Dem thread....

By any metric, though, Jindal's response was pretty bad.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Now of course, Obama's speech is the second coming of the almighty, and the response is a turd GOP response. It's always that way, isn't it?

*yawn*

Note: I'm not stating my opinion, I'm stating the responses to both.

This is how the media responds to everything, and usually it's laughably biased and wrong. But last night, I think this is about what happened. Obama gave what I thought was a very good speech (and this is only the 2nd speech of all the many speeches I've watched him give that I actually thought was very good contentwise,) and Jindal gave a very poorly delivered speech with hot plate points and no new ideas.

I ripped Obama throughout the campaign because his speeches had very little content, and what content they had has just hot plate points. Last night, I thought Obama gave a speech with some actual interesting ideas, and Jindal didn't really have any new ideas or anything resembling that at all. I voted 80 percent Republican in the voting booth last November, but I can't just lie about what I saw last night.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
This is how the media responds to everything, and usually it's laughably biased and wrong. But last night, I think this is about what happened. Obama gave what I thought was a very good speech (and this is only the 2nd speech of all the many speeches I've watched him give that I actually thought was very good contentwise,) and Jindal gave a very poorly delivered speech with hot plate points and no new ideas.

I ripped Obama throughout the campaign because his speeches had very little content, and what content they had has just hot plate points. Last night, I thought Obama gave a speech with some actual interesting ideas, and Jindal didn't really have any new ideas or anything resembling that at all. I voted 80 percent Republican in the voting booth last November, but I can't just lie about what I saw last night.

That's why I prefaced my post with note: I have not stated my opinion.

Truthfully, if the roles were reversed, and Obama gave a suck speech and Jindal rocked the house, the reaction would be the same, and that's more my point.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
That's why I prefaced my post with note: I have not stated my opinion.

Truthfully, if the roles were reversed, and Obama gave a suck speech and Jindal rocked the house, the reaction would be the same, and that's more my point.

And the REP reaction would also be the same.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)

Well this is definitely 100 percent true. That's why ignoring the media when gathering an opinion on something is essential.

Edited by whitesoxfan101