Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andrew Sullivan's take:

I watched the Daily Show with growing shock last night. Did you expect that? I expected a jolly and ultimately congenial discussion, after some banter. What Cramer walked into was an ambush of anger. He crumbled from the beginning. From then on, with the almost cruel broadcasting of his earlier glorifying of financial high-jinks, you almost had to look away. This was, in my view, a real cultural moment. It was a storming of the Bastille. It was, as Fallows notes, journalism.

Stewart - that little comic with the Droopy voice for Lieberman - is actually becoming an accidental activist. Why he matters, is why South Park matters. He, like Matt and Trey, do not leave aside their own profession from scrutiny: they have the actual balls to take it on. There is a cloying familiarity among many cable show hosts and television personalities. We all have to get along, even though some of us may believe that others of us are very much part of the problem, rather than the solution. And what Stewart has done is rip off that little band-aid of faux solidarity for a modicum of ethical and moral accountability.

Now, I know Jim Cramer a little. The reason he crumbled last night, I think, is because deep down, he knows Stewart's right. He isn't that television clown all the way down. And deeper down, he knows it's not all a game - not now they've run off with grandpa's retirement money.

It's not enough any more, guys, to make fantastic errors and then to carry on authoritatively as if nothing just happened. You will be called on it. In some ways, the blogosphere is to MSM punditry what Stewart is to Cramer: an insistent and vulgar demand for some responsibility, some moral and ethical accountabilty for previous decisions and pronouncements.

Braver, please. And louder.

A team of Mavericks my ass...

On the campaign trail last year, Alaska's Republican governor, Sarah Palin, sold herself as a crusading reformer who despised earmarks...

Though her claim to have turned down an earmark for the now-infamous Bridge to Nowhere was debunked by assorted media outlets, she kept on insisting that if she were elected vice president, she would lead a charge in Washington against earmarks....

According to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a Washington-based watchdog group, Alaska will receive more money, per capita, from the bill's earmarks than any other state. (Alaska will pocket $209.71 for each state resident.) One hundred earmarks in the bill, worth a total of $143.9 million, are tagged for Palin's state....

Bill McAllister, Palin's communications director, pointed to Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) as responsible for these provisions. But in an email, he noted that a "few of [the Alaska earmarks] were requested directly" by Palin. But how many? And which ones? McAllister declined to say. Mother Jones also asked McAllister if Palin believes it was appropriate for Murkowski and Young to insert these earmarks into the legislation and whether she will reject any earmarked funds. He did not answer those queries either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
Anyone get to watch Jon Stewart go up against Jim Cramer last night? I didn't get to see it. I'm curious how it went.

I watched it this morning. The tv critic for the Trib got it most right when she said that Jon Stewart was channeling Jimmy Stewart.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
Anyone get to watch Jon Stewart go up against Jim Cramer last night? I didn't get to see it. I'm curious how it went.

The Daily Show's website is overloaded right now for some reason but I'll try to embed the videos here later.

It was really as Sullivan described it. Stewart really is at his best when he is shining a light on some of the other folks in the media. Cramer was acting as sort of a stand-in for the financial media last night, and Stewart really hammered home on one key point...that the job of a "Financial news network" should not be to cheerlead for the financial industry, it should be to look with skepticism on the financial industry.

Stewart used some video of Cramer describing how easy it is to game the system to make the point that Cramer and the other guys know how it works, know how these guys are gaming everything to walk away rich while everyone else's pension/401k gets battered. Cramer's defense kept coming back to the idea that even CEO's have lied to him, how is he supposed to know, he did his job, who would expect that a CEO would lie to him.

This of course set Stewart up for the kill...just like when dealing with the government, if you're in the media, you're supposed to expect the people to lie to you, and its your job to work around that and expose the fact that they're lying, not just raise your hands up and say "How could I have known".

The language in these will be uncensored and NSFW.

Part 3 is the section where he really gets down to how CNBC isn't doing what the American people need them to do...they're doing what wall street needs them to do, which is selling the idea of wall street to America, whether or not it is the truth.

Link

The International Committee of the Red Cross concluded in a secret report that the Bush administration's treatment of al-Qaeda captives "constituted torture," a finding that strongly implied that CIA interrogation methods violated international law, according to newly published excerpts from the long-concealed 2007 document.

The findings were based on an investigation by ICRC officials, who were granted exclusive access to the CIA's "high-value" detainees after they were transferred in 2006 to the U.S. detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The 14 detainees, who had been kept in isolation in CIA prisons overseas, gave remarkably uniform accounts of abuse that included beatings, sleep deprivation, extreme temperatures and, in some cases, waterboarding, or simulating drowning.

At least five copies of the report were shared with the CIA and top White House officials in 2007 but barred from public release by ICRC guidelines intended to preserve the humanitarian group's strict policy of neutrality in conflicts. A copy of the report was obtained by Mark Danner, a journalism professor and author who published extensive excerpts in the April 9 edition of the New York Review of Books, released yesterday. He did not say how he obtained the report.

"The ill-treatment to which they were subjected while held in the CIA program, either singly or in combination, constituted torture," Danner quoted the report as saying.

Often using the detainee's own words, the report offers a harrowing view of conditions at the secret prisons, where prisoners were told they were being taken "to the verge of death and back," according to one excerpt. During interrogations, the captives were routinely beaten, doused with cold water and slammed head-first into walls. Between sessions, they were stripped of clothing, bombarded with loud music, exposed to cold temperatures, and deprived of sleep and solid food for days on end. Some detainees described being forced to stand for days, with their arms shackled above them, wearing only diapers.

"On a daily basis . . . a collar was looped around my neck and then used to slam me against the walls of the interrogation room," the report quotes detainee Tawfiq bin Attash, also known as Walid Muhammad bin Attash, as saying. Later, he said, he was wrapped in a plastic sheet while cold water was "poured onto my body with buckets." He added: "I would be wrapped inside the sheet with cold water for several minutes. Then I would be taken for interrogation."

Abu Zubaida was severely wounded during a shootout in March 2002 at a safe house he ran in Faisalabad, Pakistan, and survived thanks to CIA-arranged medical care, including multiple surgeries. After he recovered, Abu Zubaida describes being shackled to a chair at the feet and hands for two to three weeks in a cold room with "loud, shouting type music" blaring constantly, according to the ICRC report. He said that he was questioned two to three hours a day and that water was sprayed in his face if he fell asleep.

At some point -- the timing is unclear from the New York Review of Books report -- Abu Zubaida's treatment became harsher. In July 2002, administration lawyers approved more aggressive techniques.

Abu Zubaida said interrogators wrapped a towel around his neck and slammed him into a plywood wall mounted in his cell. He was also repeatedly slapped in the face, he said. After the beatings, he was placed in coffinlike wooden boxes in which he was forced to crouch, with no light and a restricted air supply, he said.

"The stress on my legs held in this position meant my wounds both in my leg and stomach became very painful," he told the ICRC.

After he was removed from a small box, he said, he was strapped to what looked like a hospital bed and waterboarded. "A black cloth was then placed over my face and the interrogators used a mineral bottle to pour water on the cloth so that I could not breathe," Abu Zubaida said.

After breaks to allow him to recover, the waterboarding continued.

ad_icon

"I struggled against the straps, trying to breathe, but it was hopeless," he said. "I thought I was going to die."

In a federal court filing, Abu Zubaida's attorneys said he "has suffered approximately 175 seizures that appear to be directly related to his extensive torture -- particularly damage to Petitioner's head that was the result of beatings sustained at the hands of CIA interrogators and exacerbated by his lengthy isolation."

You know, at some point in the next couple years, someone in the international community, maybe even the ICC, is going to actually bring charges against the Bush/Cheney team for this. It's going to be interesting to see how the Obama Administration handles them.

We are cooling. We are not warming. The warming you see out there, the supposed warming, and I am using my finger quotation marks here, is part of the cooling process. Greenland, which is now covered in ice, it was once called Greenland for a reason, right? Iceland, which is now green. Oh I love this. Like we know what this planet is all about. How long have we been here? How long? No very long.

Guess who. He'd so have been fooled by the vikings.

Christ, it gets better. He actually told people to violate one of the 2 quotes I've had in my sig since 2005!

I love this battle because what I see right now is leading to the ultimate political Armageddon between conservatism and liberalism. And the idea that free enterprise, free markets, free people are going to battle an oppressive, repressive, domineering government. I love that. That's what we are lining up for you folks. So you better get ready, strap it on, because it's coming. And you better pick your sides, you better choose now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Just remember...the best chance he has at getting out of prison is the fact that they beat him senseless.

Yeah, I know, I'm torn though. Next time, if you really need to beat someone, just make sure you do it until he's dead. Save everyone the heartburn later.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
I need some of the crack that dude's on, or whatever the hell hallucenations he's having. This guy is the best thing to happen to the Democrats in like ever.

"Mike Ditka used to tell people to strap it up. You start games off by telling people to strap it down. Which should I do, strap it up or down?

DJ: "Whatever you do, just don't strap it on"

(10 seconds or so of silence. I imagine the look on Hawk's face).

"We got another email here..."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Yeah, I know, I'm torn though. Next time, if you really need to beat someone, just make sure you do it until he's dead. Save everyone the heartburn later.

Yeah...at least then we can appropriately bring charges against the person who killed them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
Yeah...at least then we can appropriately bring charges against the person who killed them.

I'm sorry but these people don't deserve s***. These f***ers want to kill people, and nothing but... and you're worried about their rights. Please.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm sorry but these people don't deserve s***. These f***ers want to kill people, and nothing but... and you're worried about their rights. Please.

As agent Moss said to Jack Bauer, it's the rules that make us better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
As agent Moss said to Jack Bauer, it's the rules that make us better.

Uh huh. These people are cockroaches. That's pretty much my view of them - they're bred to hate. But ok, whatever. Andf I'm not saying I'm better then them with my opinion. Given the choices of getting things from them or letting them have a better life then they had in the "free world", I vote the cockroach effect. Stomp and ask questions later.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Uh huh. These people are cockroaches. That's pretty much my view of them - they're bred to hate. But ok, whatever. Andf I'm not saying I'm better then them with my opinion. Given the choices of getting things from them or letting them have a better life then they had in the "free world", I vote the cockroach effect. Stomp and ask questions later.

Do we have to keep going to 24 references? (The 12 year old kid with the AK repeating "Kill the cockroach" from last fall comes to mind there)

Anyway...do whatever you want to them. Just give them a trial first and make it part of their sentence. We're better than them, let's stop acting like we're not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Do we have to keep going to 24 references? (The 12 year old kid with the AK repeating "Kill the cockroach" from last fall comes to mind there)

Anyway...do whatever you want to them. Just give them a trial first and make it part of their sentence. We're better than them, let's stop acting like we're not.

i would prefer South Park refrences to the episode where Cartman solves a terrorism case involving Hillary Clinton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)

I haven't watched 24 since year one. So, what a coinky dink. :D

I ABSOLUTELY agree with the trial thing though. Holding them just for fun is not right. That much I agree with.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)

I'm not so much worried about their "rights" (I could give a s*** about their rights) as I am about making sure things get done the right way.