• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MSNBC will now have as many hours of leftist hosted programming as they do of Joe Scarborough hosted programming. That's positive.

Salon has learned that MSNBC has hired liberal radio host Ed Schultz, who calls himself the "most listened-to progressive radio talk show host in America," to anchor its 6 p.m. slot. The move will be officially revealed towards the end of Keith Olbermann's broadcast on Wednesday night, according to a source familiar with the announcement.

Speculation about Schultz joining the cable network had increased lately, and the New York Observer's Felix Gillette reported last month that an offer had been extended. Initial rumors had the host being considered for the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. hours, but MSNBC recently decided to stick with Olbermann reruns at 10.

The 6 p.m. slot is currently occupied by "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue," which is hosted by David Shuster. Schultz has filled in for him on more than one occasion. No details about what, if anything, Shuster would be doing next for MSNBC were immediately available.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Megan McCain says this man (kinda NSFW) is the best man to lead the GOP. Congressman Aaron Schock.

I really doubt any Republican cares what Megan McCain thinks (regarding politics and the GOP at least). She probably thinks Schock is "dreamy" and has a crush on him or something. I don't mind Schock, but I really don't know what he stands for. Perhaps he could be an image of the GOP in the future, but not right now. He's like 28 or 29 or something, right? He can't even be elligible to run for president for another 6-7 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 01:50 AM)
MSNBC will now have as many hours of leftist hosted programming as they do of Joe Scarborough hosted programming. That's positive.

Interesting. 1600 was a pretty awful show, they needed to do something.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Is the First Lady an Amazon woman, is Queen Elizabeth II just tiny, or both?

queen_michelle_0401.jpg

I think its a combo. The Queen is on the short side and The First Lady has good height.

Obama nominates a uniquely qualified person to run the 2010 census. Expert in statistics. Worked in the Census Bureau under George H.W. Bush.

Robert M. Groves, a former census official and now a sociology professor at the University of Michigan, was nominated Thursday by President Obama to run the Census Bureau, a choice that instantly made Republicans nervous.

Commerce Secretary Gary Locke described Mr. Grove as “a respected social scientist who will run the Census Bureau with integrity and independence.”

The Republican response of course...is to respond angrily, because the guy actually may know what he's doing, and we certainly can't allow that.

Republicans expressed alarm because of one of Mr. Groves’s specialties, statistical sampling — roughly speaking, the process of extrapolating from the numbers of people actually counted to arrive at estimates of those uncounted and, presumably, arriving at a realistic total.

If minorities, immigrants, the poor and the homeless are those most likely to be missed in an actual head count, and if political stereotypes hold true, then statistical sampling would presumably benefit the Democrats.

Republicans have generally argued that statistical sampling is not as reliable as its devotees insist. “Conducting the census is a vital constitutional obligation,” Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the House minority leader, said Thursday. “It should be as solid, reliable and accurate as possible in every respect. That is why I am concerned about the White House decisionto select Robert Groves as director of the Census Bureau.”

Representative Darrell Issa of California, the ranking Republican on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, also issued a statement of dismay. “This is an incredibly troubling selection that contradicts the administration’s assurances that the census process would not be used to advance an ulterior political agenda,” Mr. Issa said.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Obama nominates a uniquely qualified person to run the 2010 census. Expert in statistics. Worked in the Census Bureau under George H.W. Bush.

The Republican response of course...is to respond angrily, because the guy actually may know what he's doing, and we certainly can't allow that.

As usual people in Congress acting like they know a subject they clearly don't. And Republicans adding one of their fave things - attacking well-educated people as if they perversely prefer ignorance.

There is not a single stats professional in this country who doesn't use or hasn't used sampling - it is part of the field of study.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
As usual people in Congress acting like they know a subject they clearly don't. And Republicans adding one of their fave things - attacking well-educated people as if they perversely prefer ignorance.

There is not a single stats professional in this country who doesn't use or hasn't used sampling - it is part of the field of study.

using sampling should make the process less expensive. sampling can also be abused pretty bad, a lot of room to get the results that one wants. i think we are ushering the era of large swings of census data based on what party is running the white house and the census.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
using sampling should make the process less expensive. sampling can also be abused pretty bad, a lot of room to get the results that one wants. i think we are ushering the era of large swings of census data based on what party is running the white house and the census.

I have that fear as well - census becomes partisan similarly to re-districting.

But if they use sampling, the stats will show you sample size and sampling groups, so you can do the math and get a variation number and see where it should be.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
I have that fear as well - census becomes partisan similarly to re-districting.

But if they use sampling, the stats will show you sample size and sampling groups, so you can do the math and get a variation number and see where it should be.

they aren't going to be using pure applied statistics algorithms from what i'm reading. even with standard usage, applied statistics is easy to abuse. it totally relies on an unbiased sample.

i think your example of how redistricting is abused is a good example of what is to come. both parties do it.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
they aren't going to be using pure applied statistics algorithms from what i'm reading. even with standard usage, applied statistics is easy to abuse. it totally relies on an unbiased sample.

i think your example of how redistricting is abused is a good example of what is to come. both parties do it.

Except of course, the Supreme Court has already said you can't use statistically corrected samples in redistricting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Except of course, the Supreme Court has already said you can't use statistically corrected samples in redistricting.

I think you are misreading here; the example of redistricting is used to show how partisan efforts can effect government representation in a way in which may not accurately represent a population. A corrupt census count would certainly lead to representation issues.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)

those damn minorities. gettin the way of progress.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
those damn minorities. gettin the way of progress.

White Americans are the minority now, taken as a whole. So, I guess we are getting in the way of progress.

BTW, everyone SHOULD be counted... except illegals FOR THE PURPOSES OF REDISTRICTING (otherwise, hell yes, count them), which will completely alter voting patterns. But since Mr. Obama is doing this, I'm sure it's all fair.

The President seems to have nailed a couple key questions in the last few days. First, a trap question in a press conference, does he believe in American exceptionalism, one of those ideas the Bush admin. used to justify America's ability to do anything regardless of the laws.

"I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I'm enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world. If you think about the site of this summit and what it means, I don't think America should be embarrassed to see evidence of the sacrifices of our troops, the enormous amount of resources that were put into Europe postwar, and our leadership in crafting an Alliance that ultimately led to the unification of Europe. We should take great pride in that.

"And if you think of our current situation, the United States remains the largest economy in the world. We have unmatched military capability. And I think that we have a core set of values that are enshrined in our Constitution, in our body of law, in our democratic practices, in our belief in free speech and equality, that, though imperfect, are exceptional.

"Now, the fact that I am very proud of my country and I think that we've got a whole lot to offer the world does not lessen my interest in recognizing the value and wonderful qualities of other countries, or recognizing that we're not always going to be right, or that other people may have good ideas, or that in order for us to work collectively, all parties have to compromise and that includes us.

"And so I see no contradiction between believing that America has a continued extraordinary role in leading the world towards peace and prosperity and recognizing that that leadership is incumbent, depends on, our ability to create partnerships because we create partnerships because we can't solve these problems alone."

Jack Welch for one loved it

" like the way he's expressing a vision, the way he's brought a team together," Welch said. "He's done the vision thing, he's a great communicator and he's got a team-building skill that is really working."

Welch also had high praise for Obama's performance during his trip abroad, calling the president's recent town-hall meeting in Strasbourg, France "masterful."

"He didn't make one misstep I thought his press conference in Strasbourg was an incredible job. The idea of explaining American exceptionalism in the context of Europe was as masterful a speech as I've ever heard."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Actually, no.

If you add all together and then white separate, it has to be close with the massive increase in hispanic population. If you add illegals, you're adding 10%+ straight to the top.