The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
how about his immigration stance and torture stance.

those irk me to no end.

His immigration policy is really more pandering. He still says he is in favor of "securing the borders" and immigration reform. He just tells only one side depending on who he is talking to.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/2...8612/592/558752

hahahaha

this is my district. I am a big fan of Judy Baker, but this Brock Olivo thing is really funny. So, he is a former U of Mizzou running back, one of the few players with his name and number on our stadium's wall. And so the 9th is where columbia is situated. He's basically running on his name, admitted to never voting in an election and honestly has absolutely no idea on any policy people ask him about.

It's a seat vacant by the pretty popular Kenny Hulshof who is leaving to run for governor. He won by heavy margins in a pretty liberal area. The republicans couldn't find anyone to get this seat, while the dems through hugely popular Judy Baker and Mo's Speaker of the HOuse.

bahahahaha, please watch that

Edited by bmags

McCain: Obama Favors "retreating" from Space. LMAO!

McCain, missing no opportunity these days for a frontal attack on Obama, does so in a statement on the 50th Anniversary of NASA.

“While my opponent seems content to retreating from American exploration of Space for a decade, I am not," he says.

Also: "As President, I will act to make ensure our astronauts will continue to explore space, and not just by hitching a ride with someone else."

Really? You are so desperate to make Obama sound like the worlds biggest sissy that you say he wants to retreat from space? HAHAHA!!

Unitarian Forgiveness

By: Nicole Belle on Wednesday, July 30th, 2008 at 6:45 AM - PDT

I am a Unitarian.

That should be such a simple, insignificant statement of fact, nothing more than just another box on a census form to tick. Today, however, it feels more like a war cry.

This is a difficult post for me to write because my emotions are so knotted it’s hard to make sense of what I feel. I am ashamed to admit that my first, overwhelming emotion was intense anger - not so much at Jim Adkisson, the man who walked into a Unitarian church in Knoxville and opened fire on innocent people, killing two and injuring eight more. That happens, unfortunately, with all too frequent regularity in America these days, and for a depressingly repetitive litany of reasons - depression, frustration, confused anger and overlooked or ignored mental illness. The Adkisson killings is not an uncommon event these days.

What is, however, was his target - Unitarians. Members of a church renown for its pacifism, compassion and tolerance. We welcome anyone - men and women of any colour and nationality, of any religious or ethnic background, or sexuality. We even welcome conservatives.

My anger instead is concentrated on those people who callously use such vulnerable people, stirring up their bigotry and discontent, egging them to acts of violence. People like Michelle Malkin, Michael Savage, Bill O’Reilly, and Rush Limbaugh who have made lucrative careers out of liberal-bashing. People who write things like “Liberalism is a Mental Health Disorder”, “Let Freedom Ring,” and “The O’Reilly Factor,” - all literature found in Adkisson’s home after the shooting. People like Ann Coulter who advocated attacking liberals with baseball bats. The hate-filled spewage from the right-wing media mavens is and should be held accountable for inciting such acts of violence and murder, those heartless, soulless, conscienceless opportunists who have gleefully participated in encouraging the Adkissons of America to take out their anger and hatred and frustration on liberals.

People died. Good people, decent caring loving people, with friends and families. They had names: Linda Kraeger and Greg McKendry, a sixty-one year old woman and a foster father who heroically sacrificed his life to save children and his fellow congregation. They had friends and family and people who loved them and will grieve for their loss.

I make my living writing, words are my stock and trade. I have no words adequate enough to express my utter contempt and loathing at this moment for every rabid talk show host and every smarmy pundit who ever espoused the killing or injury of another human being because of his or her political beliefs. If I could, I’d have every single one of them arrested as accessories to murder. The blood on their hands is not metaphorical any longer - it’s real. And they know it, if the bizarre backpedalling of the Malkinesque-ilk is to be believed, so desperate to distance themselves from such actual blood and death that they can shamelessly claim Adkisson is really a liberal trying to discredit conservatives. Despicable.

The blogosphere is already ripping into that moral sickness that has so pervaded the rightwing that such acts have become not only possible, but excusable - a couple posters on the Free Republic had little sympathy for the dead; what kind of Christian church, after all, not only accepts gays but would even think of putting on a production of ‘Annie’? Grounds enough for mass murder, to that warped mindset.

But… I am a Unitarian.

And in the wake of the anger is pride. Despite my sadness that people were targeted for their choice of church, I have never before been so proud to be a Unitarian, as well as a liberal. Those liberals the rightwing continue to denigrate as weak-kneed cowards proved to be anything but. McKendry was the first to confront Adkisson, to stop him from going any further into the church, before several men rushed Adkisson after several shots had been fired, his victims already covered in blood. They have names too: A history professor, John Bohstedt, and Jamie Parkey, just ordinary people. But people who still prove the very best in America still exists. ‘Someone grabbed the gun and we just kind of dog-piled him to the floor’, Parkey said. His wife, Amy, described Adkisson - not as a villain, not as an evil man, not with hatred - but as ‘a man who was hurt in the world and feeling nothing was going his way. He turned the gun on people who were mostly likely to treat him lovingly and compassionately and be the ones to help someone in that situation.’ I wept when I read those words.

Because… I am a Unitarian.

I was born and raised in a faith that teaches tolerance and acceptance and forgiveness. At the moment, it’s quite difficult for me to live up to the tenets of my faith, but I’ve lived my entire life following them, if sometimes imperfectly. Hate is easy. Blame and criticism and anger and revenge are easy. It’s what those talk show hosts and political pundits and politicians on the right have exploited to cultivate their poisonous atmosphere - and I don’t want to be anything like them.

So I will choose the hard way. I will try to forgive the Adkissons of the world who have been manipulated and conned into violence. I don’t think I’m quite ready yet to forgive the Coulters and the O’Reillys and the Malkins and the Limbaughs of this world just yet… but I will try to work on not hating them quite as much as I know they hate me. It’s a step. Maybe tomorrow I can do better.

Today Our Kid forwarded me an email from Cilla Raughley, the UUA’s District Executive, sent out to congregational ministers, religious educators, and board presidents. In it she pleaded for calm, patience and wisdom. And asked that Unitarians might want to wear UU T-shirts or jewelry to show their solidarity with those who share our religious values, whether they are Unitarians or not. She also asked that anyone wishing to send a remembrance card on behalf of Greg McKendry and his widow, Barbara, could do so: Tennessee Valley UU Church, 2931 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919-4624, as well as to the neighbouring Westside Unitarian Fellowship, 616 Fretz Road, Knoxville, TN 37919-1604, which is where Linda Kraeger would have normally been on a Sunday morning.

And if a reminder was ever needed why I am and will always be a Unitarian, it is that during the candlelight service held in memory of those who died, a few of the children who had been performing in the cast of ‘Annie’ broke into song. They sang ‘Tomorrow’, in a heart-wrenching reminder that the sun will come out tomorrow.

LINK

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)

Wait a minute, so this person is blaming the "hate filled right wingers" for the shootings? Or am I not reading that right?

Nevermind. I was reading it wrong. But, I think the premise here is a lot over the top.

Edited by kapkomet

GOP Gets Desperate, Takes Quote out of Context-

Highlighted on RNC.org:

"I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions,” he said.

Clearly Obama in an elitist... oh wait, that was just part of the quote:

"It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol … .”

Silly context. Gets in the way of good ol' fashioned attacks.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
GOP Gets Desperate, Takes Quote out of Context-

Highlighted on RNC.org:

"I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions,” he said.

Clearly Obama in an elitist... oh wait, that was just part of the quote:

"It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol … .”

Silly context. Gets in the way of good ol' fashioned attacks.

I really would like to debate some things with Obama's appearance with someone who had an open mind about some of this, so I could understand the Obamamania that's out there, but I doubt anyone could really do it on a civil discourse, and a lot of these types of posts tells me that even more. :(

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
I really would like to debate some things with Obama's appearance with someone who had an open mind about some of this, so I could understand the Obamamania that's out there, but I doubt anyone could really do it on a civil discourse, and a lot of these types of posts tells me that even more. :(

What about exactly? You mean why Obama's so popular in Europe? There's some pretty simple reasons for that actually.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
I think the premise here is a lot over the top.

In what way? A guy that had all sorts of anti-liberal materials in his home went to a liberal church and killed some people. What other motivation was there?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
Wait a minute, so this person is blaming the "hate filled right wingers" for the shootings? Or am I not reading that right?

Nevermind. I was reading it wrong. But, I think the premise here is a lot over the top.

Yep, over the top.

There is a valid point in there. I cannot think of a vice or hatred that cannot be fueled in modern day America. And that fuel is out on display and readily available, without any restrictions. Such is life in an open society.

FYI: McCain just rolled out ANOTHER attack ad against Obama. Yes, ANOTHER. From the guy who said he'd run a "civil" campaign.

And if I am not mistaken, of the last FOUR ads McCain has rolled out, ALL of them have attacked Obama, and NONE of them are about promoting John McCain.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
What about exactly? You mean why Obama's so popular in Europe? There's some pretty simple reasons for that actually.

No, well, yes, but more in general. There's some serious questions I have about why this guy just deserves a rubber stamp to be our president.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
FYI: McCain just rolled out ANOTHER attack ad against Obama. Yes, ANOTHER. From the guy who said he'd run a "civil" campaign.

And if I am not mistaken, of the last FOUR ads McCain has rolled out, ALL of them have attacked Obama, and NONE of them are about promoting John McCain.

Now here's a place where I will agree with you. If McCain can't explain why HE should be president and NOT why Obama shouldn't be, he will have his balls roasted on a fire this election.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
No, well, yes, but more in general. There's some serious questions I have about why this guy just deserves a rubber stamp to be our president.

I don't understand the question.

As far as Obama and Europe, if you look at all of the rifts we've had with them under the Bush administration e.g. Kyoto protocol, invasion of Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, backing out of the ABM treaty (I really don't know why we did that), and then see where Obama is on those issues compared to Bush - then add in Obama's general tone towards them compared to the contempt Bush's people treated them with in his first term that they haven't forgotten. Add all that up and your answer is in there somewhere.

I read a fair amount of their news, btw.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)

As far as Obama and Europe, if you look at all of the rifts we've had with them under the Bush administration e.g. Kyoto protocol, invasion of Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, backing out of the ABM treaty (I really don't know why we did that), and then see where Obama is on those issues compared to Bush - then add in Obama's general tone towards them compared to the contempt Bush's people treated them with in his first term that they haven't forgotten. Add all that up and your answer is in there somewhere.

Tell you what, I will start a separate thread when I have some more time to debate it, and I promise to try to not turn into snark or Kaperbole ™. I just really want to understand why people support this guy.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I just really want to understand why people support this guy.

One reason is that he comes off as more positive than most politicians. Just look at Athomeboy's post about McCain's most recent 4 ads. All of them are attack ads. Sure Obama and his campaign attack their opponent but they do a better job of masking it and looking more positive.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)

when I was in Europe they were truly excited over the first black man/first woman narrative as well.

In Germany they know so much about politics. One person asked me what I thought of AG Mukasey.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Now here's a place where I will agree with you. If McCain can't explain why HE should be president and NOT why Obama shouldn't be, he will have his balls roasted on a fire this election.

Update: I underestimated McCain's negativity. This via "Flip-Flop Express"-

Let's List McCain's Last 6 Campaign Videos:

(Falsely Attacked Obama for Not Supporting the Troops)

(Interestingly Not Listed on McCain's site anymore)

(Mocks the Media for "Loving" Obama)

"Troops" (Falsely Attacked Obama for Canceling a Visit to a Military Hospital)

Want proof McCain's last 6 ads were negative and NOT promoting McCain? Note his YouTube page. Every uploaded video in the last week has been negative. The last "Pro-McCain" ad uploaded was July 10, 2008!!!

McCain Camp Admits Their Ad Was False

McCain's camp, accused in the New York Times and the Washington Post this morning of distorting Obama's canceled trip to a military hospital in German, seems to have backed off the core of the charge: That he canceled the trip because "the Pentagon wouldn't allow him to bring cameras."

"It does now seem that Barack Obama snubbed the troops for reasons other than a lack of photo-op potential," writes McCain blogger Michael Goldfarb this morning, contradicting his campaign's televised ads and his candidate's statements.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Since we heard about that $300 haircut so often, I'm left wondering...if John Edwards were caught wearing $520 Italian shoes, how often would we have heard about it?

I am more in favor of a $300 makeup consultant:

Romney spent $300 on makeup 'consulting'

Well, "communications consulting" is how presidential candidate Mitt Romney recorded $300 in payments to a California company that describes itself as "a mobile beauty team for hair, makeup and men's grooming and spa services."

LMAO!

The McCain campaign is now claiming Obama ran the "first negative ad" of the campaign. When confronted on MSNBC with the fact that Obama's ad (released July 8th I think) was in DIRECT response to an

released on July 6th that outright said Obama had no solutions, the campaign sidestepped and said "Obama ran the first negative ad".

Nice to see McCain running below the RNC umbrella. "It wasnt me! IT WAS THEM!"

Edited by Athomeboy_2000