The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Between this and the hilarious "volcano monitoring" timing, t's almost as if nature is out to make the GOP look like idiots.

Now all we need if for coastal cities across the globe to become submerged for the trifecta.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Now all we need if for coastal cities across the globe to become submerged for the trifecta.

That'll show 'em! :chair

Oh, wait...

Balta, I've been meaning to ask what your geological specialty is, if you don't mind.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
That'll show 'em! :chair

Oh, wait...

Balta, I've been meaning to ask what your geological specialty is, if you don't mind.

Igneous Petrology. Specifically, I melt rocks for a living looking at the chemistry. But I like to consider myself fairly well rounded...the only part of geology I usually can't at least talk intelligently about is geobiology (detailed genetics are just beyond me and there's a lot of that in that discipline.) If nothing else, a well rounded set of skills should be useful in teaching classes.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)

I'm not sure we don't already have the trifecta...

Remember the campaign against "Pig odor research?" from a few months back?

Yeah....

According to one community resident, the organic and fecal waste produced by Granjas Carrol isn’t adequately treated, creating water and air pollution in the region. I witnessed—and smelled—the same thing in Hardin County, Iowa, a couple of years ago, another area marked by intensive industrial hog production. The article goes on to say that area residents have long complained of “fetid odors” in the air and water, and swarms of flies hovering around waste lagoons. Like their counterparts who live in CAFO-heavy U.S. areas, they also complain of respiratory ailments. Now, with 30 percent of the area’s residents now infected with the virulent flu bug, people are demanding that state and federal authorities inspect hog operations there. So far, reports La Marcha, the response has been: nada.

The Mexico City daily La Jornada has also made the link. According to the newspaper, the Mexican health agency IMSS has acknowledged that the orginal carrier for the flu could be the “clouds of flies” that multiply in the Smithfield subsidiary’s manure lagoons.

wow, really?

Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking

according to a study from The Ohio State University, which proves, with math and stuff, that lots of conservatives seem to not understand the intrinsic, underlying joke of The Colbert Report:

Thi
s
s
tudy inve
s
tigated bia
s
ed me
s
s
age proce
s
s
ing of political
s
atire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perception
s
of
S
tephen Colbert. Re
s
ult
s
indicate that political ideology influence
s
bia
s
ed proce
s
s
ing of ambiguou
s
political me
s
s
and
s
ource in late-night comedy. U
s
ing data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology
s
ignificantly predicted perception
s
of Colbert'
s
political ideology. Additionally, there wa
s
no
s
ignificant difference between the group
s
in thin
k
ing Colbert wa
s
funny, but
con
s
ervative
s
were more li
k
ely to report that Colbert only pretend
s
to be jo
k
ing and genuinely meant what he
s
aid while liberal
s
were more li
k
ely to report that Colbert u
s
ed
s
atire and wa
s
not
s
eriou
s
when offering political
s
tatement
s
Con
s
ervati
s
m al
s
o
s
ignificantly predicted perception
s
that Colbert di
s
li
k
ed liberali
s
m
. Finally, a po
s
t hoc analy
s
i
s
revealed that perception
s
of Colbert'
s
political opinion
s
fully mediated the relation
s
hip between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

I think a lot of conservatives are going to pissed when they realize that Stephen Colbert's performance at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Dinner was not, in fact, an awkward and ineffective attempt to praise President George W. Bush, but actually a bitter and satiric criticism of his incompetence!

Michelle Buchman- Interesting coincidence: Both swine flu out breaks happened during dem. administrations.... not saying the caused it.... (riiiight)

Except.... it happened under Ford... not Carter. OOPS!

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Wow.

"I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."
Bachmann.

And the last time it happened was 1976. The Ford administration.

nope, she had her unamerican hunt in October. She then saw an influx of rival donations that nearly put the other candidate in office, but he lost by a few points.

She'll be vulnerable though.

Well, she did the crazyassed rant, then her opponent had a surge, but she kept relatively quiet until the election and gave a half-assed apology for being misquoted (even though her comments were aired in their entirety, live). Then after the election she went completely apes***.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
nope, she had her unamerican hunt in October. She then saw an influx of rival donations that nearly put the other candidate in office, but he lost by a few points.

She'll be vulnerable though.

oh yes. i forgot when that unamerican thing happened. you are giht. but it showed that she almost talked herself out of the seat with ONE statement. Not the DNC has a whole book to throw at her... and it's only been 6 months.

Talking out of her butt again... maybe she should read a history book, and brush up on her Poli-Sci....

On Monday night, our friends at Dump Bachmann reported, Bachmann took to the House floor and paid tribute to the economic policies of Calvin Coolidge and the "Roaring 20s" (the era that ended with a massive monetary contraction and the Great Depression). One particular line really does stand out, though -- saying Franklin Roosevelt turned a recession into a depression through the "Hoot-Smalley" tariffs:

Here's what really happened: When Franklin Roosevelt took office, unemployment was already about 25%. And the tariff referred to here was actually the Smoot-Hawley bill, co-authored by Republicans Sen. Reed Smoot of Utah and Rep. Willis Hawley of Oregon, and signed into law by President Herbert Hoover.

Interestingly, this speech also happened on the same day as when Bachmann connected the 1970s swine flu outbreak to Democrat Jimmy Carter being president, even though it was actually Gerald Ford in office at the time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
We get it, she's bat-s*** crazy. Can we just ignore her now? Please?

She's a voting member of the U.S. congress. That's up to the people of Minnesota in 1.5 years.

(After that of course, she's almost certain to become a regular contributor to Fox News)

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
I think it's hysterical. How would politics be fun without making fun of the bats*** crazies

If everyone knew what a joke she was, I'd be in agreement. But to me, its sad, in a train car sort of way. She's obviously not very bright, clearly full of hate and anger, and yet there are still going to be people who support her. I know its hard to look away, but, I am trying to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
If everyone knew what a joke she was, I'd be in agreement. But to me, its sad, in a train car sort of way. She's obviously not very bright, clearly full of hate and anger, and yet there are still going to be people who support her. I know its hard to look away, but, I am trying to.

Palin/Bachmann 2012.