Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked this:

John Boehner posted an article: GOP Alternative Budget.

10 million people left the group Likely Republican Voters.

Paul Ryan posted an article: Alternative GOP Alternative Budget.

10 million people left the group Likely Republican Voters.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 4, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
I hate religious zealots.

As many of you know, i work for a church and our senior staff is reading a book called "Unchristian". It's basically a book written based on polls done of those outside the church going community. It's how people view Christians, Christianity, and the church. One thing we talked about last week is how these zealots, televangelists, and "crazy right" preachers (like Hagee and Dobson) really give Christianity a bad name.

Steele: Moderates are welcome, just dont expect us to listen to you

"All you moderates out there, y'all come. I mean, that's the message, The message of this party is this is a big table for everyone to have a seat. I have a place setting with your name on the front. Understand that when you come into someone's house, you're not looking to change it. You come in because that's the place you want to be."

WTF?

Translation: Come, y'all are welcome to sit here and be ignored so we can get your vote.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

If true, this is a fascinating anecdote looking at how the 2 parties are working right now.

When Barack Obama informed congressional Republicans last month that he would support a controversial parliamentary move to protect health-care reform from a filibuster in the Senate, they were furious. That meant the bill could pass with a simple majority of 51 votes, eliminating the need for any GOP support. Where, they demanded, was the bipartisanship the President had promised? So, right there in the Cabinet Room, the President put a proposal on the table, according to two people who were present. Obama said he was willing to curb malpractice awards, a move long sought by Republicans that is certain to bring strong opposition from the trial lawyers who fund the Democratic Party.

What, he wanted to know, did the Republicans have to offer in return?

Nothing, it turned out. Republicans were unprepared to make any concessions, if they had any to make.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
If true, this is a fascinating anecdote looking at how the 2 parties are working right now.

Obama hasn't done great at the bi-partisanship. But I think its pretty obvious the Republicans, to their own detriment, are far more stubborn right now that the administration is. They are so bull-headed that their party is continuing to become a regional player at best.

I really hope they can find leadership that is willing to understand that you cannot run that party on such rigid iedological litmus tests, and with no willingness to do anything remotely construed as moderate, and still expect to be successful.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
Obama hasn't done great at the bi-partisanship. But I think its pretty obvious the Republicans, to their own detriment, are far more stubborn right now that the administration is. They are so bull-headed that their party is continuing to become a regional player at best.

Here's my admittedly partisan lens response...what more can you do to be bipartisan than put a sacred cow that supposedly benefits one of your party's interest groups on the table as something you're willing to negotiate? How do you be more bi-partisan than that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Here's my admittedly partisan lens response...what more can you do to be bipartisan than put a sacred cow that supposedly benefits one of your party's interest groups on the table as something you're willing to negotiate? How do you be more bi-partisan than that?

Its always a continuum. I agree that particular case, that was a huge olive branch, and the GOP decided to ignore it. Not very bright really, since basically this means they'll use the parliamentary trick and pass it anyway WITHOUT the comprimise.

I was talking about his adminsitration thus far anyway, not just that instance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
Its always a continuum. I agree that particular case, that was a huge olive branch, and the GOP decided to ignore it. Not very bright really, since basically this means they'll use the parliamentary trick and pass it anyway WITHOUT the comprimise.

I was talking about his adminsitration thus far anyway, not just that instance.

I can make the same point on a number of other topics though. The stimulus package, for example. Obama weakened the thing significantly to try to get Republican votes. Cut back $100 billion out of it, included the AMT reform that would have been done anyway, made something like 50% of it tax cuts, included originally $20 billion in republican-loved business tax cuts. Out of that, he got 0 votes. Basically, the Republicans objected to the concept of a stimulus package that involved any spending at all, despite getting something like 40-50% of the bill written as tax cuts. He watered down the bill significantly to get 0 votes, and then the same people who voted against it went back to their districts and bragged about all the wonderful new spending they'd brought home.

What more can you do to compromise in that case, where the other side is so far away that they're not willing to accept things that they want?