• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
How dare the DHS issue a report concerning domestic terrorism! This is just an attempt to stifle dissent!

Oh, right.

I never have, and never will, understand the hypocrisy of abortion clinic bombers/shooters. "You play God and kill innocent life, that's wrong, therefore I'm going to kill you"

For anybody who eschews the title "domestic terrorist" for this guy - I don't think any other title would suffice.

A man was murdered in his church for performing legal medical procedures as a doctor.

The man had his clinic bombed, repeatedly vandalized, was previously shot twice by other anti-abortion "activists." It's a shame.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
I never have, and never will, understand the hypocrisy of abortion clinic bombers/shooters. "You play God and kill innocent life, that's wrong, therefore I'm going to kill you"

I completely disagree with it, but I don't think it's that difficult to understand. Essentially, they believe abortion doctors are murderers who the police refuse to arrest. It's like a form of vigilante justice.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 31, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)

You just answered your own question. They believe the people they are killing (the abortion doctors) are not innocent life.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
You just answered your own question. They believe the people they are killing (the abortion doctors) are not innocent life.

I think that is just such crap. If you're pro-life be pro-life--you can't just be pro-innocent life. Hell, if those people believe in the doctrine of original sin even the fetuses aren't innocent life.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
I think that is just such crap. If you're pro-life be pro-life--you can't just be pro-innocent life. Hell, if those people believe in the doctrine of original sin even the fetuses aren't innocent life.

I wasn't saying that's what I believed, just clarifying what those people (probably) believe.

But based on what you're saying, you don't leave any room for people who are pro-life on the abortion issue to have an opinion on the death penalty or euthanasia other than be against it. Which I will disagree with.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
I wasn't saying that's what I believed, just clarifying what those people (probably) believe.

But based on what you're saying, you don't leave any room for people who are pro-life on the abortion issue to have an opinion on the death penalty or euthanasia other than be against it. Which I will disagree with.

It's true--I don't understand how people are pro-life and pro-death penalty. I know lots of people are, but it's always baffled me.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
It's true--I don't understand how people are pro-life and pro-death penalty. I know lots of people are, but it's always baffled me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I agree 100%.

I dont know, I guess I disagree.

I don't really have a firm stance on either issue, but to me they are two completely different issues and I can easily see how people could feel one way about one and completely different about the other

I feel like people are free to believe and support whatever they want - but - if you're going to be inconsistent and support the death penalty, fine, but don't try to pretend it's not inconsistent and then talk down to people who make note of it. It's like, please spare me the morality lectures and talk about respect for human life etc., and then give me the "innocent life to criminal life" answer.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I feel like people are free to believe and support whatever they want - but - if you're going to be inconsistent and support the death penalty, fine, but don't try to pretend it's not inconsistent and then talk down to people who make note of it. It's like, please spare me the morality lectures and talk about respect for human life etc., and then give me the "innocent life to criminal life" answer.

:notworthy

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)

Well I think that is actually completely acceptable if that is someone's rationale. I really feel they are two completely separate issues.

Also, basically what you're saying then is that if you are pro-choice, you have to be pro-death penalty? Or at least not anti-death penalty?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Well I think that is actually completely acceptable if that is someone's rationale. I really feel they are two completely separate issues.

Also, basically what you're saying then is that if you are pro-choice, you have to be pro-death penalty? Or at least not anti-death penalty?

I'm saying if that you're pro-life and pro-death penalty then that's ok, but when someone asks why it doesn't apply to all human life (usually after being lectured about it) then you (not YOU, Sonix) shouldn't give a half-assed answer or look at the other person like they're stupid because they don't get it. Many times I've heard the "well, they're criminals" answer given without much depth. It ends up being circular logic. They're criminals, and they deserve to die, because they're criminals. Well, ok, I agree with that, but you just went on this lengthy diatribe about how President Obama has no respect for human life because he allowed stem cell research? Do you have respect for all human life, or do you not? If not, well then, just say so. But nobody does and it goes back to more lecturing.

Edited by lostfan

If you are pro-life it is understandable to be against the death penalty. I understand the argument of "Criminal" the problem is that the determination of "criminal" is made by humans who are imperfect. Therefore there is a risk that "innocent" life is killed.

On the other hand if you are pro-choice, I dont see why you would be pro-death penalty. Many people who are pro-choice do not believe that the fetus is alive, therefore its not murder because you cant kill something that isnt alive.

Conversely no one really argues that inmates arent alive.

Thus I am pro-choice because I think that actual life outweighs potential life, and I am usually against the death penalty because I dont believe that humans are perfect and therefore dont want to take the risk of killing an innocent person.

Edited by Soxbadger

It's a comment on a blog so I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I'm posting it out of interest.

In 1994 my wife and I found out that she was pregnant. The pregnancy was difficult and unusually uncomfortable but her doctor repeatedly told her things were fine. Sometime early in the 8th month my wife, an RN who at the time was working in an infertility clinic asked the Dr. she was working for what he thought of her discomfort. He examined her and said that he couldn’t be certain but thought that she might be having twins. We were thrilled and couldn’t wait to get a new sonogram that hopefully would confirm his thoughts. Two days later our joy was turned to unspeakable sadness when the new sonogram showed conjoined twins. Conjoined twins alone is not what was so difficult but the way they were joined meant that at best only one child would survive the surgery to separate them and the survivor would more than likely live a brief and painful life filled with surgery and organ transplants. We were advised that our options were to deliver into the world a child who’s life would be filled with horrible pain and suffering or fly out to Wichita Kansas and to terminate the pregnancy under the direction of Dr. George Tiller.

We made an informed decision to go to Kansas. One can only imagine the pain borne by a woman who happily carries a child for 8 months only to find out near the end of term that the children were not to be and that she had to make the decision to terminate the pregnancy and go against everything she had been taught to believe was right. This was what my wife had to do. Dr. Tiller is a true American hero. The nightmare of our decision and the aftermath was only made bearable by the warmth and compassion of Dr. Tiller and his remarkable staff. Dr. Tiller understood that this decision was the most difficult thing that a woman could ever decide and he took the time to educate us and guide us along with the other two couples who at the time were being forced to make the same decision after discovering that they too were carrying children impacted by horrible fetal anomalies. I could describe in great detail the procedures and the pain and suffering that everyone is subjected to in these situations. However, that is not the point of the post. We can all imagine that this is not something that we would wish on anyone. The point is that the pain and suffering were only mitigated by the compassion and competence of Dr. George Tiller and his staff. We are all diminished today for a host of reasons but most of all because a man of great compassion and courage has been lost to the world.

It's bulls*** that the murder of the recruiter isn't getting more coverage. It got some mentions yesterday but it's really something I thought would have more traction.

(place mr. genius's response here)

Latest manufactured outrage: President Obama taking his wife on a date to NYC and whether or not taxpayers should be paying for it. News flash: the President has an expense account, and pretty much every president in history has done something like this.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
Latest manufactured outrage: President Obama taking his wife on a date to NYC and whether or not taxpayers should be paying for it. News flash: the President has an expense account, and pretty much every president in history has done something like this.

I heard no RNC outrage when Bush used AF1 to fly down to crawford for vacations and family time. Maybe he should have flown commerical and payed his own way.

Ok, to piggy back on this. i recently saw a show on Discovery Channel that when behind the scenes of AF1. AF1 is a flying war room. In reality, when the president goes ANYWHERE, he either needs to be within a quick drive of DC, or moments away from AF1. So, if Obama goes to NYC for a data, AF1 should be close behind.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I heard no RNC outrage when Bush used AF1 to fly down to crawford for vacations and family time. Maybe he should have flown commerical and payed his own way.

Ok, to piggy back on this. i recently saw a show on Discovery Channel that when behind the scenes of AF1. AF1 is a flying war room. In reality, when the president goes ANYWHERE, he either needs to be within a quick drive of DC, or moments away from AF1. So, if Obama goes to NYC for a data, AF1 should be close behind.

No outrage from the DNC either, nor should there have been (not counting fringe people who flamed Bush for doing everything, they should just be factored out of the equation).

Being the president is basically a 24/7 job. Even when they look like they're off-duty, they're really not. I'd like to see some of these people work 16, 18, 20 hours in a day for a few days and then have people criticize them when they take a break for a few hours.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
No outrage from the DNC either, nor should there have been (not counting fringe people who flamed Bush for doing everything, they should just be factored out of the equation).

Being the president is basically a 24/7 job. Even when they look like they're off-duty, they're really not. I'd like to see some of these people work 16, 18, 20 hours in a day for a few days and then have people criticize them when they take a break for a few hours.

Based on the current state of the RNC, I'm guess many of them havent been working very hard. ;)