• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
That's the fault of the person responsible for editing the report, because that's not how it was supposed to read. Any generic report you see on right-wing extremism will say something like that but it'll sound more politically correct to avoid this kind of fake brouhaha. That wasn't supposed to be the focus of it, the fact remains that nothing about that section was untrue from an analyst's perspective (that's who it was written for, I've no idea why in the f*** something marked FOUO got released to the media but it happens all the time). Putting the shoe on the other foot, did any left-wing politician flip a s*** when the DHS under Bush released a report on left-wing extremism that "singled out" environmental/animal rights activists or antiwar protesters? No, they did not. And no, they should not have because there was nothing to flip out about.

they totally freaked it out. bush was hitler. he was spying on every protestor. he was a dictator.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Quit putting words in my mouth, I'm not gonna acknowledge responses to things I didn't say. I don't know what you're talking about with this "you guys" stuff either.

i'm just saying that the criticism was legit IMO. if i am head of a department, and something like that report comes out , i would expect to take heat and apologize. which she basically did. i mean it's water under the bridge now, i don't see how this murderer means people whom critized her and that report should apologize. again, no one would have said anythign if it said 'neo-nazi' threat.

we even both agree it was dumb to have in there.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Your point being... that, what... Bachmann's outrage was not phony and made her look dumb as s*** (well, more than usual)?

Bachmann is a psycho, i'm sure she owes millions of people an apology. the demands for apologies didn't seem directed at Michele Bachmann. and if she did apologize, it would probably just offend everyone again as i'm sure she would toss in a few more insults.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
i'm just saying that the criticism was legit IMO. if i am head of a department, and something like that report comes out , i would expect to take heat and apologize. which she basically did. i mean it's water under the bridge now, i don't see how this murderer means people whom critized that her and the report should apologize. again, no one would have said anythign if it said 'neo-nazi' threat.

we even both agree it was dumb to have in there.

Ok, I can get with that because yeah, someone within DHS f***ed up somewhere. It wasn't Napolitano but when you're the manager of an organization you have to be the one to take the heat, so she did. But if I'm her I'm finding the director of that section and reaming out their asshole for making me have to take the heat... so that they can find the subordinate below them that was responsible for quality control and in turn ream them out.

I'm just saying, this outrage was strictly politics (I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, I just take it personally when I see politicians criticizing analysts or trying to throw them under the bus to make themselves look good) whereas on the DHS end it wasn't politics, just incompetence.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Bachmann is a psycho, i'm sure she owes millions of people an apology. the demands for apologies didn't seem directed at Michele Bachmann. and if she did apologize, it would probably just offend everyone again as i'm sure she would toss in a few more insults.

Honestly though reading/listening to s*** Bachmann says is hilarious so I don't really mind anything she says.

The H.S. report quoted was "DHS/I&A is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize veterans in order to boost their violent capacities." Although they should have clarified what type of veterans may be more prone to extremist recruitment, this was a potential individual that murdered about a month after the report was issued:

MAY 12, 2009 U.S. Soldier Kills 5 Fellow Troops at Baghdad Base

A Military Fratricide at a Camp Liberty Counseling Center Renews Concerns About Combat

By YOCHI J. DREAZEN in Washington and GINA CHON in Baghdad

An American soldier killed five other troops in a psychological counseling center in Baghdad on Monday, the bloodiest case of military fratricide since the start of the Iraq war six years ago.

The victims were killed at a "combat stress clinic" at Camp Liberty, a sprawling American base near Baghdad's international airport. The shooter was taken into military custody, but officials in Iraq declined to identify the soldier or speculate about his possible motive.

The military is struggling to get a handle on a rising tide of psychological problems within its ranks. Many troops have been deployed repeatedly to Iraq or Afghanistan with only short stays back in the U.S. to decompress.

The Army's suicide rate has skyrocketed in recent years, and military mental-health professionals worry that tens of thousands of soldiers and Marines may be suffering from depression, anxiety and other psychological maladies.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124204950681706721.html

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't even know all the dynamics, but it depends on lost of factors, such as where it is extracted, who buys it, who owns it first, etc. But its not like Exxon pulls it out of the ground and pays taxes on it as soon as they get it. They extract it, refine or process it into various states, and the resulting products are sold and taxed like other commodity items (sort of). And I do not know if Alaska specifically levies a tax on the commodities anyway, or if they even can, if the final sold product isn't producing in Alaska (even though the oil may come from there).

Also, if you use a sliding tax scale like that, you are actually doing damage to the effort to get off oil.

Alaska does level taxes/ fees on oil companies directly. This is because a lot of their oil fields are on state land. They have a "windfall profits tax" in Alaska, which makes Palin's campaign rhetoric all the more hilarious.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...laskatax07.html

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Theocratic Iran is far-left?

people in the US who support them are. Rev Wright and such. see, America is evil (at least it was until Obama got elected), and theocratic Iran hates Ameirca; therefore far left Americans supported theocratic Iran, as they have a common enemy.

So the logic is:

P: Von Burren was an antisemitic holocaust denier

P: Iran's President (and maybe a significant portion of their population? I don't know) also denies the holocaust

P: Some members of the left support Iran (or at least don't hate the country)

C: Therefore, antisemitism/ holocaust denial is left wing?

You're a few links short of a chain, there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
So the logic is:

P: Von Burren was an antisemitic holocaust denier

P: Iran's President (and maybe a significant portion of their population? I don't know) also denies the holocaust

P: Some members of the left support Iran (or at least don't hate the country)

C: Therefore, antisemitism/ holocaust denial is left wing?

You're a few links short of a chain, there.

as there are links missing between Von Burren and Ron Paul bumper stickers or disgruntled vets. which was the controversial wording within a homeland security report which this murder supposedly proved correct and should have led to many apologies form those whom criticized such wording.

as within the context of the thread.

There is no "connection" between Von Burren and people who have Ron Paul bumper stickers (assuming that was a valid conclusion to draw, which in this case it is not). That's not what analysts do.

Now if you look at a profile of a person and you see they have strong anti-government/anarchist rhetoric, they threaten violence, etc., and they have also a Ron Paul bumper sticker, that's when you start seeing a picture. You don't just look at someone with a bumper sticker and go "they're gonna go bomb a government building, I better go put surveillance on them."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
My lord, people. You are seriously trying to disparage the Dems or Reps as a whole, based on the behaviors of various whack-jobs who happen to use one of the extreme ends of the spectrum as an excuse for their violence?

Wow.

No. Well, at least not me.