• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
9/11 was a plot by the Illuminati to both give Bush a reason to invade the middle east and to destroy Obama's Kenyan birth certificate.

The Bilderbergs were also involved via a co-op with the lizard people, but it was only a minor role.

:lol:

These are all about the same relevancy. Actually this would be a good thread. Conspiracies.

This is kinda impressive.

Rep. Pete Sessions — the chief of the Republicans’ campaign arm in the House — says on his website that earmarks have become “a symbol of a broken Washington to the American people.”

Yet in 2008, Sessions himself steered a $1.6 million earmark for dirigible research to an Illinois company whose president acknowledges having no experience in government contracting, let alone in building blimps.

What the company did have: the help of Adrian Plesha, a former Sessions aide with a criminal record who has made more than $446,000 lobbying on its behalf.

Sessions spokeswoman Emily Davis defends the airship project as a worthwhile use of federal funds and says it could eventually lead to thousands of new jobs in Sessions’s Dallas-area district.

But the company that received the earmarked funds, Jim G. Ferguson & Associates, is based in the suburbs of Chicago, with another office in San Antonio — nearly 300 miles from Dallas. And while Sessions used a Dallas address for the company when he submitted his earmark request to the House Appropriations Committee last year, one of the two men who control the company says that address is merely the home of one of his close friends.

Jim G. Ferguson IV — the younger half of the father-son team behind Jim G. Ferguson & Associates — told POLITICO that he and his father are trying to build an airship with a “high fineness ratio” that can be used in both military and civilian applications.

Fineness ratio is the technical term for the relationship between an airship’s length and its diameter; the higher the fineness ratio, the longer and more slender the airship is. A blimp with a very high fineness ratio could fly faster and be able to stay aloft longer — the holy grail for airship designers during the past century.

Yet Ferguson acknowledged that neither he nor his father has a background in the defense or aviation industries, nor any engineering or research expertise.

A search of publicly available records shows no history of the Fergusons ever being involved with the airship industry other than their attendance at a February 2005 Pentagon conference on the subject.

Jim G. Ferguson IV said in an interview that he and his father “were business people” and had acquired the patents for building an advanced airship prototype. He said that the two men are playing a supervisory role in the project and “have obtained world-class experts to work for us.”

I think I'm close enough to my degree to qualify for the same earmark.

oh man, I laughed so hard at the bolded part. Per CNN

"In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that of one. It was a characterization of the actions of that man."

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
oh man, I laughed so hard at the bolded part. Per CNN

"In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that of one. It was a characterization of the actions of that man."

Who the heck is Barrett? Was that another officer on the scene or something? And do you have a link the article you took this from?

47% of Republicans do not believe in Plate Tectonics.

QUESTION: Do you believe that America and Africa were once part of the same continent?

YES NO NOT SURE

ALL 42% 26% 32%

MEN 41% 29% 30%

WOMEN 43% 23% 34%

DEM 51% 16% 33%

REP 24% 47% 29%

IND 44% 23% 33%

OTH/REF 42% 25% 33%

NON VOTERS 46% 22% 32%

WHITE 35% 30% 35%

BLACK 63% 13% 24%

LATINO 55% 19% 26%

OTHER/REF 56% 19% 25%

We don't spend nearly enough on science/ science education. The scientific illiteracy in this country is staggering.

I'd imagine that makes you want to cry/ punch someone.

I like the racial breakdowns, too.

edit: I see know that its a facebook poll. I'll just wishfully assume a more rigorous survey would come up with better results.

edit edit: nevermind, its a facebook page with a daily kos poll. It's still alarming to see only 51% of dems and 44% of independents responding "yes"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
That's pretty much a perfect illustration of why the GOP is such a disaster right now - the influence (though, fortunately, waning) of the wing-nut religious right.

That's not a common theme in religious creationism, though. They come up with wacky theories like the plates all moving around at 100 MPH after "The Flood" but its generally not a common denial.

I think its just more evidence of the lack of science education and the growing cynicism of education, intelligence and experts.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
That's not a common theme in religious creationism, though. They come up with wacky theories like the plates all moving around at 100 MPH after "The Flood" but its generally not a common denial.

I think its just more evidence of the lack of science education and the growing cynicism of education, intelligence and experts.

Well, the Dems had 16% in there who said definite no, add 16% for GOP'ers and that is 32% of the population who I think, just out of ignorance, don't know. Which is sad, and goes to education as you said. But the differential between parties, to me, logically links only to those religious beliefs (because I really don't think that one party is more intelligent or better educated than the other).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Well, the Dems had 16% in there who said definite no, add 16% for GOP'ers and that is 32% of the population who I think, just out of ignorance, don't know. Which is sad, and goes to education as you said. But the differential between parties, to me, logically links only to those religious beliefs (because I really don't think that one party is more intelligent or better educated than the other).

I think it might have something to do with this:

NORTHEAST 50% 18% 32%

SOUTH 32% 37% 31%

MIDWEST 46% 22% 32%

WEST 43% 24% 33%

and this:

WHITE 35% 30% 35%

BLACK 63% 13% 24%

LATINO 55% 19% 26%

OTHER/REF 56% 19% 25%

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
This article is quite possibly one of the stupidest f***ing ideas I've ever heard. I lack the vocabulary to adequately express the sheer, unmitigated stupidity in this article, and I'm not sure such words actually exist in the English language.

Oh god, I actually laughed out loud.