• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
After living through 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of GWB I'll take the Democratic route of economical policy...but that's just me.

Of course you will. The Bush administration had to dig out from the Clinton bubble, and created another one in the process. Taking money out of the economy doesn't solve a recession. Look no further than the Great Depression to understand that.

"Taking The High Road": A Commercial Idea

"When I set out to run for president, i decided it was time to change the way politics is run in Washington. At times, I must confess, I have slipped from that a little. But, I want to make a promise to the American people. Unlike my opponent, I will not run all negative ads. Yes, we may contrast our policies... the American people deserve to know how we differ. But, these negative ads are not acceptable. It's time to change politics in America..... I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Obama's proposals for economy.

This is sort of ironic - BS asked what was seen in MCCAIN that was positive, and the response is a negative on Obama.

I actually happen to agree, in general (with some exceptions), I don't like Obama's economic policies either. But this is an illustration of how much this campaign has been all about Obama, for good AND for bad. Anyone who thinks Obama isn't getting pummelled in the media must be missing something, and McCain is just jumping in.

This is a bad idea for McCain, IMO. If you make it all about Barack, he starts to look like the President in Waiting. McCain's campaign has been dismal so far.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Of course you will. The Bush administration had to dig out from the Clinton bubble, and created another one in the process. Taking money out of the economy doesn't solve a recession. Look no further than the Great Depression to understand that.

One of the main reasons for the bubble burst was lack of oversight.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
One of the man reasons for the bubble burst was lack of oversight.

Which bubble are you referring to here? Because I really don't think the tech bubble, which started to burst in '98 and imploded in 2000, was a matter of lack of oversight. That may have been a smaller contributing factor, but, it wasn't the primary driver.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
After 8 years of GWB policies what exactly do you see in McCain that says to you "Oh yeah. That is definitely the right direction for our country!"

Well, I'll answer part of that. My biggest disappointment in GWB is his lack of spending restraint. He has failed miserably, and we will pay dearly for it. BUT, making government BIGGER is certainly not going to solve everything that you proponents of (insert government program here) want. It just doesn't work, and time and time again it's proven.

McCain seems to be better engaged in the spending waste, but I doubt it - that's part of why I don't like the guy. However, I know that Obama wants to create the biggest redistribution of wealth in history, and I'm sorry, the financial structure of this country wasn't founded on "redistribution of wealth". It was founded on capitalism - and LIMITED government interaction (not total free market, that's impossible, but the government wasn't designed to take money and redistribute it).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Which bubble are you referring to here? Because I really don't think the tech bubble, which started to burst in '98 and imploded in 2000, was a matter of lack of oversight. That may have been a smaller contributing factor, but, it wasn't the primary driver.

I really wish i knew where to find the video. One Saturday night about 2 months ago there was a GREAT show on i think Discovery Channel that talked about all the factors that lead into the tech bubble. Yes, lack of oversight was not the ONLY reasons, but it was a significant contributor.

It bubble was a convergence of a lot of things including over the top giddiness about the internet when they didnt really know how to utilize it just yet. Some fear another bubble is on the verge of bursting.

My most recent spam email:

Subject: Do you want a Muslim Terrorist as President?

The Muslim Barrack "Hussein" Obama or John "The Super Hero" Mcain?

Who do you want for President of the United States?

(Web address removed because I'm not helping them with the Googles)

We need your opinion!

Get $500 Pre-Paid Visa Card for your vote!

(Web address removed because I'm not helping them with the Googles)

Thanks God Bless America!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
This is sort of ironic - BS asked what was seen in MCCAIN that was positive, and the response is a negative on Obama.

I actually happen to agree, in general (with some exceptions), I don't like Obama's economic policies either. But this is an illustration of how much this campaign has been all about Obama, for good AND for bad. Anyone who thinks Obama isn't getting pummelled in the media must be missing something, and McCain is just jumping in.

This is a bad idea for McCain, IMO. If you make it all about Barack, he starts to look like the President in Waiting. McCain's campaign has been dismal so far.

In other words, McCain's policy stuff isn't my favorite, but Obama's looks to me like Hoover trying to avert the depression.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
In other words, McCain's policy stuff isn't my favorite, but Obama's looks to me like Hoover trying to avert the depression.

Well, I think that's a stretch, but I understand your point. My biggest concerns with Obama are his economic and tax policy statements.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Well, I think that's a stretch, but I understand your point. My biggest concerns with Obama are his economic and tax policy statements.

Not as much as you think. Early on the big problem was a liquidity cruch in the financial sector. This was compounded by the rich quiting spending, and the banks raising rates out of site which completely stunted growth, in fact it set of a de-inflationary cycle which decimated the economy.

So now to compound the liquidity crisis and the fall of bank lending, Obama wants to take money out of the pockets of the few people who are still able to spend in this economy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Not as much as you think. Early on the big problem was a liquidity cruch in the financial sector. This was compounded by the rich quiting spending, and the banks raising rates out of site which completely stunted growth, in fact it set of a de-inflationary cycle which decimated the economy.

So now to compound the liquidity crisis and the fall of bank lending, Obama wants to take money out of the pockets of the few people who are still able to spend in this economy.

We are not in a liquidity crisis, in my view. Not nearly. But I agree that Obama's tinkering with the taxes like this is a generally bad idea when the economy is struggling. A few small changes might be needed, but, he's talking about some major fundamental shifts. One other caveat though - his plans for tax increases are not as drastic as some are portraying them. That is what I was trying to point out as well. He basically wants to return to Clinton-level taxes on income and cap gains. I don't agree with those changes, but, its not as if he's reaching for new heights here.

Will Negative Ads Hurt McCain's "Press Love"?

I got to thinking. As much as McCain loves to say the press loves Obama, he's largely gotten passes on some of his major mistakes and comments IMO. Many in the "liberal press" say he has gotten passes because of his "good guy" and "maverick" image he built up with the press since 2000. But I have now seen and read 2 or 3 different sources that wonder out loud that by going SO negative this early in the campaign that McCain may have rubbed off whatever "luster" he may have had with the press. His "good guy" political image is scrapped.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
We are not in a liquidity crisis, in my view. Not nearly. But I agree that Obama's tinkering with the taxes like this is a generally bad idea when the economy is struggling. A few small changes might be needed, but, he's talking about some major fundamental shifts. One other caveat though - his plans for tax increases are not as drastic as some are portraying them. That is what I was trying to point out as well. He basically wants to return to Clinton-level taxes on income and cap gains. I don't agree with those changes, but, its not as if he's reaching for new heights here.

With everything else he wants to do, Clinton era tax rates will explode the deficit worse then it is now.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
With everything else he wants to do, Clinton era tax rates will explode the deficit worse then it is now.

:lolhitting

You actually believe that don't you...that no matter what the actual tax rate is, we're always on the right hand side of the infamous Laffer napkin curve?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
I just got to thinking...

John McCain said today that he is proud of the campaign he is running: "I'm proud of the campaign that we have run."

That sure would look good in an ad. "John McCain say's he's proud of his negative campaign...."

Well, it didnt take long. I dont like how they did it. but they did it:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)

You actually believe that don't you...that no matter what the actual tax rate is, we're always on the right hand side of the infamous Laffer napkin curve?

You tell me where the money is going to come from for all these government programs he wants to implement?

You all b**** about GWB and the Iraq war boondoggle... the same thing is going to happen, just replace one with the other, even IF Obama sticks to "withdrawl" (which I have my doubts, because he will then get credit for "victory").

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)

The sector itself is in a liquidity crisis. The Fed Bank has been printing money like it has been going out of style to prop them up.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Will Negative Ads Hurt McCain's "Press Love"?

I got to thinking. As much as McCain loves to say the press loves Obama, he's largely gotten passes on some of his major mistakes and comments IMO. Many in the "liberal press" say he has gotten passes because of his "good guy" and "maverick" image he built up with the press since 2000. But I have now seen and read 2 or 3 different sources that wonder out loud that by going SO negative this early in the campaign that McCain may have rubbed off whatever "luster" he may have had with the press. His "good guy" political image is scrapped.

Thoughts?

It's not going to change anything. The press has no incentive to. As long as the ads are getting attention they'll keep going along with whatever.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
It's not going to change anything. The press has no incentive to. As long as the ads are getting attention they'll keep going along with whatever.

It's no coincidence that the ad buys for these last 2 attack ads have been very small, just a couple showings in a couple markets. These are "Get free media attention by giving the media something controversial to play" ads.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)

Mostly because it is the only way he gets attention in the press.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
Mostly because it is the only way he gets attention in the press.

and oddly his LACK of attention helps him because he tends to screw up a lot. If Obama did some of the stuff McCain says and does, he'd be outof the race already. But it's "Maverick McCain" to the rescue!!