• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the lesson we learned from Obama's association with Rev. Wright is that if you identify yourself as a member of a group (whether it be a congregation or otherwise) led by an alleged loonie, the views of that loonie can automatically be attributed to you also.

So when people identify as members of a 912 project led by a crying whacko who says Obama hates whiteys, it is okay to attribute Glenn Beck's or Mark Williams' views to all of their followers.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
I thought the lesson we learned from Obama's association with Rev. Wright is that if you identify yourself as a member of a group (whether it be a congregation or otherwise) led by an alleged loonie, the views of that loonie can automatically be attributed to you also.

So when people identify as members of a 912 project led by a crying whacko who says Obama hates whiteys, it is okay to attribute Glenn Beck's or Mark Williams' views to all of their followers.

There's a pretty big difference here. As a matter of fact, I'm not even going to waste my time if you can't see the difference, that's pretty ignorant.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
LMAO. There is no "leader" but you sure as hell want a strawman to hang, don't you?

Well he's not a strawman, because he exists.

What bothers me about posting crap like this is that AHB is accidentally encouraging the behavior by propogating it. Best policy is to ignore it.

We've got another tell-all book from the last admin with a cute excerpt today. This one appears kind of raw, I enjoyed it. It's from a speechwriter from the last 2 years or so of that debacle. Only going to post 1 quote, from the bailout discussion...sums up the whole bloody administration pretty well.

“Why did I sign on to this proposal if I don’t understand what it does?” he asked.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_.../us_patriot_act

Obama supports extending Patriot Act provisions

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writer – 28 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration supports extending three key provisions of the Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of the year, the Justice Department told Congress in a letter made public Tuesday.

Lawmakers and civil rights groups had been pressing the Democratic administration to say whether it wants to preserve the post-Sept. 11 law's authority to access business records, as well as monitor so-called "lone wolf" terrorists and conduct roving wiretaps.

The provision on business records was long criticized by rights groups as giving the government access to citizens' library records, and a coalition of liberal and conservative groups complained that the Patriot Act gives the government too much authority to snoop into Americans' private lives.

As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama said he would take a close look at the law, based on his past expertise in constitutional law. Back in May, President Obama said legal institutions must be updated to deal with the threat of terrorism, but in a way that preserves the rule of law and accountability.

In a letter to lawmakers, Justice Department officials said the administration supports extending the three expiring provisions of the law, although they are willing to consider additional privacy protections as long as they don't weaken the effectiveness of the law.

Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote Sen. Patrick Leahy, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, that the administration is willing to consider stronger civil rights protections in the new law "provided that they do not undermine the effectiveness of these important (provisions)."

Leahy responded with a statement saying it is important for the administration and Congress to "work together to ensure that we protect both our national security and our civil liberties."

The committee has scheduled a hearing next week on the Patriot Act.

From 2004 to 2007, the business records provision was used 220 times, officials said. Most often, the business records were requested in combination with requests for phone records.

The lone wolf provision was created to conduct surveillance on suspects with no known link to foreign governments or terrorist groups. It has never been used, but the administration says it should still be available for future investigations.

The roving wiretaps provision was designed to allow investigators to quickly monitor the communications of a suspects who change their cell phone or communication device, without investigators having to go back to court for a new court authorization. That provision has been used an average of 22 times a year, officials said.

Michelle Richardson of the American Civil Liberties Union called the administration's position "a mixed bag," and said that the group hopes the next version of the Patriot Act will have important safeguards on other issues, particularly the collecting of international communications, and a specific bar on surveillance of protected First Amendment activities like peaceful protests or religious assembly.

"We're heartened they're saying they're willing to work with Congress," Richardson said, adding that is "definitely a sea change from what we've seen in the past."

I didn't give this it's own thread because I think Obama has been pretty consistent that this was his position. Doesn't change the fact that I'm disappointed by it, though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I mean, are library records really going to catch anything? Is hollywood that influential?

Let's arrest everyone who checks out the anarchist cook book.

Not that I agree, but I could see how some people could be concerned if they had books on Arabic, Jihad, Al-Qaeda, bomb-making etc...checked out under their names.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Not that I agree, but I could see how some people could be concerned if they had books on Arabic, Jihad, Al-Qaeda, bomb-making etc...checked out under their names.

Or they could be doing research.

I'd like to know more about the exact wording and span of these provisions, but in general, I tend to dislike a lot of the Patriot Act. I really, really didn't like that Obama flip-flopped and supported retro immunity to the telecoms, which I think set an awful precedent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)

I'd like to know more about the exact wording and span of these provisions, but in general, I tend to dislike a lot of the Patriot Act. I really, really didn't like that Obama flip-flopped and supported retro immunity to the telecoms, which I think set an awful precedent.

Right.

I'm just saying, if people had real problems with it, that could be a reason. If they were paranoid about profiling or whatever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)

I just think we are now at the point where any administration can (and likely WILL) act illegally, and unconstitutionally (and this is where I most think following the constitution MATTERS), and they are shielded as long as they act like they are working a) for national security or bee) with good enough secrecy it doesn't come up until the next administration and we all just want to moveON.org

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Agreed

Yeah I never thought I'd find a significant issue in which I'm well to the left of even Barack Obama, but here it is. I'm really surprised he's taking the position he is on the Patriot Act too, maybe he's afraid of the long standing stigma that Democrats are weak on National Security and wants to take away a potential firing angle from his opposition.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Right.

I'm just saying, if people had real problems with it, that could be a reason. If they were paranoid about profiling or whatever.

We could be much more effective at law enforcement, investigations, crime prevention and national security, if we didn't have boundaries to those agencies. But as it happens, I tend to be a strict adherance guy when it comes to keeping the government's ability to enter private lives in check. Even if it means some people go free who should not.