The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
That's pretty disgusting. All politicians in positions like this try to play the game, but in this case, to outright factually lie, about situations that ended up in people's deaths, to make your party look better... that's pretty low. Not to mention that when these things occur is not really something you fault the President for anyway, whether Bush or Obama. Unfortunately, there is a significant chunk of the population who doesn't understand that, and they'll take statements like this and leap to unfounded conclusions.

The problem is not the politician telling as bald-faced of a lie as he can get away with. It's to his benefit if he can get the audience to believe it.

The problem is the politician telling that bald-faced lie to a member of the media...and then not getting called on it.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Because I don't want to drive down a snowy, hilly road just yet, I wasted some time trying to check into Kap's assertion that Kennedy teamed tax cuts with simultaneous spending cuts to grow the economy.

So far, every index or graph I can find simply fails to show any meaningful decrease in total government spending at the time.

The answer is in How to Speak Like a Politician, Chapter 2.

"We slowed the rate of increases in spending, which is cutting spending" This resulted in cuts totalling 160 Bbbbillion dollars over the next 100 years (projected).

:lol:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
That's pretty disgusting. All politicians in positions like this try to play the game, but in this case, to outright factually lie, about situations that ended up in people's deaths, to make your party look better... that's pretty low. Not to mention that when these things occur is not really something you fault the President for anyway, whether Bush or Obama. Unfortunately, there is a significant chunk of the population who doesn't understand that, and they'll take statements like this and leap to unfounded conclusions.

I agree with you all on this point. It's manipulation at its finest.

SYMPATHIES -- Vice President Biden's mother "passed away peacefully" Friday at Biden's home in Delaware, the vice president said in a statement Friday:

"My mother, Catherine Eugenia 'Jean' Finnegan Biden, passed away peacefully today at our home in Wilmington, Delaware, surrounded by her children, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren and many loved ones. At 92, she was the center of our family and taught all of her children that family is to be treasured, loyalty is paramount and faith will guide you through the tough times. She believed in us, and because of that, we believed in ourselves. Together with my father, her husband of 61 years who passed away in 2002, we learned the dignity of hard work and that you are defined by your sense of honor. Her strength, which was immeasurable, will live on in all of us.".

Rudy forgets 9/11 and now Michael Steele "time warps" when he wrote his book:

Appearing today on Laura Ingraham's radio show, RNC chairman Michael Steele said that he wrote his book Right Now before he became chairman. The problem is, the book itself doesn't read like it could have possibly been written before January 2009 -- it was clearly written in late 2009, either in November or December, and is based entirely on current events up to that point.

"I wrote this book before I became chairman. Because of the clock and the calendar, I wound up doing it now," said Steele.

Unless Steele is remarkably clairvoyant, it seems as though it could not have been written before he became chairman -- it is overwhelmingly a commentary on the political situation in America under President Barack Obama, as of late 2009.

The book is full of references to current events in 2009: The stimulus bill, the health care debate, foreign policy, ACORN, the party switch of Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the Tea Parties and the 9/12 March on Washington, etc.

On page 38, Steele uses a partial quote from Barney Frank, which was spoken on the Ed Schultz show on October 26, 2009.

On page 61, Steele says of Obama: "He champions bipartisanship, but he supports a process where Nancy rams a 2,000-page healthcare bill through the House of Representatives on a Saturday night with just a single Republican vote." That vote occurred on November 7, 2009.

And finally, Steele refers to himself on pages 14, 28, and 73, as being the chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Steele's publisher, Regnery Publishing, told the Hotline that Steele had been "working on parts of the book before he was chairman. He's made some updates recently."

Who was it, Alpha, who would really like this?

Silence has long shrouded the men and women who die in the nation’s immigration jails. For years, they went uncounted and unnamed in the public record. Even in 2008, when The New York Times obtained and published a federal government list of such deaths, few facts were available about who these people were and how they died.

But behind the scenes, it is now clear, the deaths had already generated thousands of pages of government documents, including scathing investigative reports that were kept under wraps, and a trail of confidential memos and BlackBerry messages that show officials working to stymie outside inquiry.

The documents, obtained over recent months by The Times and the American Civil Liberties Union under the Freedom of Information Act, concern most of the 107 deaths in detention counted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement since October 2003, after the agency was created within the Department of Homeland Security.

H. Christ, 100+ dead people in custody over 5 years?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Who was it, Alpha, who would really like this?

H. Christ, 100+ dead people in custody over 5 years?

Not that hard to believe. Some may even turn themselves in when they need major medical care. A little trick you hear now and then. The biggest issue becomes money. Holding someone in our jails is expensive. We generally like to release the "innocent until proven guilty". The real problem is if the offensive is being here illegally, there is zero reason for them to return for trial. With the high rate of people not appearing, we start holding more and more while they await a hearing. And many of these cases are not clear cut. I read about cases here where the person was born at home with a mid wife presiding. Those records are easily faked and many do not appear real. But the majority are real. It is a tough area of law to practice and adjudicate.

Why the RNC wont kick out Steele: He's Black

“I don’t think there is any chance he’s going to be dumped before the next election for the obvious reason,” said one of the party’s most influential strategists and a key player on presidential campaigns.

Asked why that would be, the Republican, who is not on the party committee, shot back: “You’re not going to dump the first African-American chairman. That’s the only reason. Otherwise, he’d be gone.”

A longtime member of the party committee added: “The optics of pushing any chairman out don’t look very good, but [steele’s race] puts a much finer point on it.”

Those optics are fairly straightforward.

The perception of an overwhelmingly white party launching a coup to take out a black leader when the country has its first African-American in the White House would be disastrous, say senior Republicans—a bigger distraction to the party than Steele’s frequent off-message detours are now.

This really only reinforces what I've said for a long time now, Steeele was elected so they can say "See, we have a black guy too!"