• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna give McCain the benefit of the doubt on this and call BS on this:

McCain aide denies 'party of a**holes' line

Among the many juicy, anonymously-sourced passages in Game Change is one that could stir some trouble for John McCain in his upcoming primary.

The scene takes place toward the beginning of McCain's bid for the White House:

A
s
McCain
s
town hall meeting
s
devolved into
s
houting matche
s
over immigration, the candidate let hi
s
fru
s
tration
s
how through. He called Lind
s
ey Graham in de
s
pair. Li
s
ten to the
s
e people, McCain
s
aid.
Why would I want to be the leader of a party of
s
uch a**hole
s
?

McCain spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan dismissed the report: "One word for you: ridiculous," she wrote in an email.

A spokesman for Graham, the other possible first-person source, didn't respond to a question about the quote.

The past 5 or 6 years have been a direct lead up to an event like we are about to witness with Sarah Palin.

Galvanization of punditry for hyper-partisan stupidity has been translating into rating boons for quite a while now, and not because of entertainment value or integrity. They're not even mouthpieces or anything like that anymore, they're the defacto leadership of both political parties. Pundits set the talking points and how they will be utilized, think the 9/12 project. Palin is simply assuming a role leading up to 2012 where she can get maximum support. Palin supporters are absolutely rabid, and if they can destroy one administration (and they have) it'd make sense to believe they could elect the replacement. Palin is the perfect realization of the inevitable outcome in which a politician would be keen enough, or just in the right place at the right time, to take a media role as a vehicle to the president.

Sarah Palin is going to get the Republican nomination in 2012 and she's going to win to presidency. Hard to even know what that is going to be like, but the means to that end have been stirring up for quite a while now.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 04:39 AM)
The past 5 or 6 years have been a direct lead up to an event like we are about to witness with Sarah Palin.

Galvanization of punditry for hyper-partisan stupidity has been translating into rating boons for quite a while now, and not because of entertainment value or integrity. They're not even mouthpieces or anything like that anymore, they're the defacto leadership of both political parties. Pundits set the talking points and how they will be utilized, think the 9/12 project. Palin is simply assuming a role leading up to 2012 where she can get maximum support. Palin supporters are absolutely rabid, and if they can destroy one administration (and they have) it'd make sense to believe they could elect the replacement. Palin is the perfect realization of the inevitable outcome in which a politician would be keen enough, or just in the right place at the right time, to take a media role as a vehicle to the president.

Sarah Palin is going to get the Republican nomination in 2012 and she's going to win to presidency. Hard to even know what that is going to be like, but the means to that end have been stirring up for quite a while now.

Holy frijoles, I actually agree with you. And I'll add this. It's the EXACT replay of Barack Obama, only in reverse.

Now, I will also say that I really hope that it doesn't happen, because I do not like Sarah Palin.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:26 AM)
Holy frijoles, I actually agree with you. And I'll add this. It's the EXACT replay of Barack Obama, only in reverse.

Now, I will also say that I really hope that it doesn't happen, because I do not like Sarah Palin.

Couldn't agree more on either point.

IMO, this will destroy any future presidential candidacy plans Palin may have, if she even has any. The sheer amount of footage/archived footage that will exist on her will be her undoing in the future, politically. Any little thing she says on the air that looks innocent now WILL come back and haunt her on the campaign trail. The reason Obama was taken at his word so easily is because there wasn't endless amounts of archived footage of the things he said on the record that people could sift through and find ways to rip him apart...for the most part, we had to look at Obama's past and decide whether to believe him or not.

I think Palin understands that shes a hot "ticket" right now and needs to continue to cash in on it before that train leaves the station.

Seriously, if the GOP pin their future hopes on Palin -- they've already lost. She's simply, IMO, too stupid to run the USA.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 04:39 AM)

Or, the pendulum will swing, like it always does. At some point, the hyper-partisan schtick will stop working.

The GOP had serious control over Congress, and had a real heyday, from the early 90's until around 2006. Then the country decided they hadn't achieved much lately, and it was time for a change. So we got the 2006 and 2008 elections. Some of the GOP reacted by trying to go to the middle, which is the conventional wisdom. But many decided to try something different - go FURTHER away from the current mainstream thinking, and FURTHER to the right. So far, that hasn't worked much for them, at all. And if they continue down this road, it only leads to a regional party, and never again having control of Congress. Therefore, at some point, the GOP leaders will realize they have no choice but to "come to Jesus" (see what I did there?), and get back to what the "middle" actually wants, if they want control again.

Palin is a fail in a Presidential race, a big fail, unless Obama shoots a few puppies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
Or, the pendulum will swing, like it always does. At some point, the hyper-partisan schtick will stop working.

The GOP had serious control over Congress, and had a real heyday, from the early 90's until around 2006. Then the country decided they hadn't achieved much lately, and it was time for a change. So we got the 2006 and 2008 elections. Some of the GOP reacted by trying to go to the middle, which is the conventional wisdom. But many decided to try something different - go FURTHER away from the current mainstream thinking, and FURTHER to the right. So far, that hasn't worked much for them, at all. And if they continue down this road, it only leads to a regional party, and never again having control of Congress. Therefore, at some point, the GOP leaders will realize they have no choice but to "come to Jesus" (see what I did there?), and get back to what the "middle" actually wants, if they want control again.

Palin is a fail in a Presidential race, a big fail, unless Obama shoots a few puppies.

Agreed. What made Obama work is that he represented something new and special and didn't appear nearly as polarizing as Palin does.

It remains to be seen if Palin can do the same thing, but unlike Obama - its how she started which is a huge handicap for her 2012 prospects. She might run, but frankly, I think she'll be a smarter Rudy and realize sooner that she makes more money and is held in higher esteem if she merely toys with future election campaigns rather than actually have them.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Agreed. What made Obama work is that he represented something new and special and didn't appear nearly as polarizing as Palin does.

It remains to be seen if Palin can do the same thing, but unlike Obama - its how she started which is a huge handicap for her 2012 prospects. She might run, but frankly, I think she'll be a smarter Rudy and realize sooner that she makes more money and is held in higher esteem if she merely toys with future election campaigns rather than actually have them.

I'll just call it like it is -- Obama is intelligent, well spoken, and not a blithering idiot. Palin speaks like an annoying jackass, isn't intelligent and is a blithering idiot.

And I don't even care for Obama much.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
I'll just call it like it is -- Obama is intelligent, well spoken, and not a blithering idiot. Palin speaks like an annoying jackass, isn't intelligent and is a blithering idiot.

And I don't even care for Obama much.

The worst part is, it seems to me, that Palin isn't an idiot - but she prefers to play one on TV. Its psychotic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
The worst part is, it seems to me, that Palin isn't an idiot - but she prefers to play one on TV. Its psychotic.

You really think that? At least if it comes to specifically the question of facts, book-learning, etc.? (Ignoring the kind of smarts that allows you to connect with people, etc.)

How could anyone think she has a chance to become President? She can't even garner much support from the right let alone anything from the middle or left. She's on Fox News now??? So what? On a great ratings night they'll get 2 million people to watch. There are a heck of a lot more than 2 million people that vote for President.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
How could anyone think she has a chance to become President? She can't even garner much support from the right let alone anything from the middle or left. She's on Fox News now??? So what? On a great ratings night they'll get 2 million people to watch. There are a heck of a lot more than 2 million people that vote for President.

Because Fox News isn't the only media outlet that has dedicated a whole lot of time to selling her. Fox isn't the only network that did wall to wall coverage of her book, or the only network that treats her facebook updates like mana from above.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
She is smart but ignorant.

Just to go to the recent tell-all book that the media is on now for an example, how do you then respond to Palin's difficulties with say, prepping for the Couric interview or the Debate with OBiden? Where things were going so poorly that they had to bring in McCain's campaign manager to re-work the debate prep and seriously reduce the level of what they were going over?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Just to go to the recent tell-all book that the media is on now for an example, how do you then respond to Palin's difficulties with say, prepping for the Couric interview or the Debate with OBiden? Where things were going so poorly that they had to bring in McCain's campaign manager to re-work the debate prep and seriously reduce the level of what they were going over?

I'm pretty sure my statement covers that exact scenario.