• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

because the press now applauds him for his renegadeness. The only people that can change rules of institutions are not the people working in the institutions that have the ability to change the rules, but rather those outside, who can get paid thousands of dollars per speaking engagement.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
because the press now applauds him for his renegadeness. The only people that can change rules of institutions are not the people working in the institutions that have the ability to change the rules, but rather those outside, who can get paid thousands of dollars per speaking engagement.

You'll note how much attention the press gives to his statement that partisanship is wrecking washington versus how much attention they give to his proposed solution about the filibuster.

CAVUTO: We have a guy who is just ranting at the system, ranting at the IRS, ranting at big government, the need for health care, not the need for unions – I mean really crazy stuff. I would just be curious of your reaction to all that.

BROWN: Well It’ s certainly tragic and I feel for the families obviously that are being effected by it. And I don’t know if its related but I can just sense not only in my election but since being here in Washington people are frustrated. They want transparency. They want their elected officials to be accountable and open and talk about the things effecting their daily lives. So I am not sure if there is a connection, I certainly hope not, but we need to do things better.

CAVUTO: Invariably people are going to look at this type of incident Senator and say ‘well that’s were some of this populist rage gets you’ – Isn’t that a bit extreme?

BROWN: Yeah of course its extreme, you don’t know anything the individual he could have had other issues. No one likes paying taxes obviously. But the way we are trying to deal with things in the past, at least until I got here, is there is such a log jam in Washington and people want us to do better…

That's newly elected Senator Scott Brown on Fox, trying to link credit/blame for the plane crash in Austin to his election.

When Cavuto says to you "isnt' that a bit extreme" and you're a Republican....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
That's newly elected Senator Scott Brown on Fox, trying to link credit/blame for the plane crash in Austin to his election.

When Cavuto says to you "isnt' that a bit extreme" and you're a Republican....

Are there any credible reports that this airplane guy was a Tea Party member?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
Are there any credible reports that this airplane guy was a Tea Party member?

Seriously? What if he was? Does that say something about the Tea Party, that one of their members is crazy?

Come on guys, let's try to see past the party-colored glasses for a second.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Seriously? What if he was? Does that say something about the Tea Party, that one of their members is crazy?

Come on guys, let's try to see past the party-colored glasses for a second.

I'm just rasking for the info. I've read it places, but nothing I would deem m credible. I know someone is going to use it against him.... unfairly I may add.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Apparently Palin's claim that making fun of "retards" is ok if it's satire just went out the window after she berated The Family Guy folks for making fun of her.

'Family Guy' Actress Responds To Sarah Palin's Criticism

Andrea Fay Friedman, the voice actress who played the role of "Ellen" --the character depicted as having Down syndrome on the Valentine's Day episode of Family Guy, has responded to the criticism of sometime-Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. Of special significance, Friedman herself has Down syndrome. Palingates has Friedman's complete response:

My name i
s
Andrea Fay Friedman. I wa
s
born with Down
s
yndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" epi
s
ode of Family Guy that wa
s
broadca
s
t on Valentine'
s
day. Although they gave me red hair on the
s
how, I am really a blonde. I al
s
o wore a red wig for my role in "
S
mudge" but I wa
s
a blonde in "Life Goe
s
On". I gue
s
s
former Governor Palin doe
s
not have a
s
en
s
e of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Ala
s
k
a" wa
s
very funny. I thin
k
the word i
s
"
s
arca
s
m".

In my family we thin
k
laughing i
s
good. My parent
s
rai
s
ed me to have a
s
en
s
e of humor and to live a normal life.
My mother did not carry me around under her arm li
k
e a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carrie
s
her
s
on Trig around loo
k
ing for
s
ympathy and vote
s

BAZINGA!

Newsweek has some tidbits coming from former treasury secretary and GS head Henry Paulson's upcoming tell-all/cover-my-tail book.

1. Paulson provides a lively description of a meeting with congressional leaders debating the TARP plan on Sept. 25, the same day that Sen. John McCain suspended his presidential campaign and returned to Washington. “The room descended into chaos as the House and Senate members erupted into full-fledged shouting … It got so ridiculous that Vice President [Dick] Cheney started laughing … Finally, the president just stood up and said: ‘I’ve clearly lost control of this meeting. It’s over’” (page 299). Paulson is particularly critical of McCain in this scene, calling the suspension of his campaign “impulsive and risky” (page 298) and saying that “when it came right down to it, he had little to say in the forum he himself had called” (page 299).

2. Paulson delivers a continual and biting critique of Republicans. Right out of the gate, he takes a swipe at Sarah Palin, saying that while he encourages everyone he works with to call him Hank, when she did it over the phone during the campaign, “for some reason, the way she said it over the phone like that, even though we’d never met, rubbed me the wrong way” (page 15). Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning is a “cantankerous conservative” (page 275). Meetings with Senate Republicans were “a complete waste of time for us, when time was more precious than anything” (page 275). Ideas that Republicans do add are “unformed,” like Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor’s plan to replace TARP with an insurance program. In a rare moment of sarcasm, Paulson goes off on the minority Whip: “I got a better idea. I’m going to go with Eric Cantor’s insurance program. That’s the idea to save the day” (page 285).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I thought Eliot Spitzer was really good too.

It's really fascinating to watch him as a commenter these days, he's a politician who doesn't care if people attack him for things he says any more because they can't possibly do anything else to hurt his career. He doesn't have to play the game any more, and suddenly he's just able to be a general expert on the things he's dealt with (the financial industry, the world's oldest profession, etc.)

So, while most of the report on the Bush admin's torture memos in last Friday Night's document dump was a "Please let this story go away" report, there was a juicy tidbit or two. Specifically, the Pres can kill anyone he wants.

. Pressed on his views in an interview with OPR investigators, Yoo was asked:

"What about ordering a village of resistants to be massacred? ... Is that a power that the president could legally—"

"Yeah," Yoo replied, according to a partial transcript included in the report. "Although, let me say this: So, certainly, that would fall within the commander-in-chief's power over tactical decisions."

"To order a village of civilians to be [exterminated]?" the OPR investigator asked again.

"Sure," said Yoo.

via Sullivan:

"There is nothing magical about a military tribunal. They don’t have necessarily better lawyers than the civilian sector. I think I have a lot more faith in our US attorneys who are nonpolitical than my colleagues on the other side of this debate. We can try them. We should try them. That is precisely, Jay, what our law provides for. And the first time we’re faced with a situation we say, “Oh we’re going to have them go to the military let them torture them for a while, it’s not enhanced interrogation technique. Waterboarding is torture! How would you like to be waterboarded? Try that!" - Bob Barr at CPAC. He was booed, of course.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
via Sullivan:

I really think most people (vast majority are conservatives) just flat-out miss the entire point of trials and the basic rule of law. It's not just a symbolic show, there really is a point to it all.

Edited by lostfan