• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I had a dollar for every time the word "baby killer" popped up on my facebook feed in the past few days.

I seriously need some new friends. Or my friends need to stop marrying douchebags.

Epic winner of the day: My friend is a pretty moderate democrat (mostly because of environmental issues--her political affiliation on FB is "Obama Rocks)). Her husband posted today about Obama the baby killer and how dems are all f***ing liars and he hates them.

Blerg.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
He's still a complete douche bag for yelling it out. He's not at a ball game as a mere spectator.

If you yell "baby killer" at anyone who doesn't actually kill babies, you're a nut. Period.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't think you'll like him NS,

you do know him.

He's of "Dick Cheney is a vampire" and "Republicans health care plan: Get sick, die quickly" fame

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
You'd hate him. He's an outspoken leftist, the kind that would typically get portrayed as crazy. He's the one who was quoted on the House floor saying that the Republican Health Care plan is "Don't get sick".

Thanks for the background. So, no, I don't think I like him. But he did handle Matthews quite well.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
I wish I had a dollar for every time the word "baby killer" popped up on my facebook feed in the past few days.

I seriously need some new friends. Or my friends need to stop marrying douchebags.

Epic winner of the day: My friend is a pretty moderate democrat (mostly because of environmental issues--her political affiliation on FB is "Obama Rocks)). Her husband posted today about Obama the baby killer and how dems are all f***ing liars and he hates them.

Blerg.

I had to hide some of my really obnoxious friends from my news feed, I really don't like seeing all that s*** on Facebook, that's not what I come there for.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
I hate that Grayson is made out to be the equivalent of Bachmann by lazy Beltway journalists. There is no equivalent of Bachmann on the left among elected officials. There just isn't.

I kind of feel like Grayson is what I thought Franken would be.

He's funny and biting but also hyperbolic. But since his initial appearance I've really enjoyed a lot of his interviews. I remember they took him on CNN and mustache man was trying to be like "you are saying i want to kill americans" and grayson didn't even bother taking the bait and just kept pushing forward what the bill would do. He's got conviction, I like him. I think he should stay in the house.

When he first burst onto the scene with "get sick die quickly", I remember a lot of comments were like "The democrats finally have a republican!"

The "baby killer" congressman came forward.

I can handle politicians posturing and acting like idiots on the campaign trail to pander, but not in congress (especially when they dont have the floor). I guess this is the way things are headed though, some people like it when lawmakers act like this while in session. It just feels like our government is turning into a

670px-Robosaurus.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
I kind of feel like Grayson is what I thought Franken would be.

He's funny and biting but also hyperbolic. But since his initial appearance I've really enjoyed a lot of his interviews. I remember they took him on CNN and mustache man was trying to be like "you are saying i want to kill americans" and grayson didn't even bother taking the bait and just kept pushing forward what the bill would do. He's got conviction, I like him. I think he should stay in the house.

When he first burst onto the scene with "get sick die quickly", I remember a lot of comments were like "The democrats finally have a republican!"

Yeah Franken is a straight up wonk. I always knew he had it together because I read his books and whatnot but I didn't know he was going to completely change his public profile.

So i kept seeing these off-hand comments about student loans, and was like, what happened? I thought the loan thing was dead in the water.

Apparently, in the sidecar going through reconciliation, that student loan reform to make the gov't directly give loans to student is in it. If that passes, that's huge! It saves so much money that frankly, I hope they just put right back into loans for students, lots more pell grants, etc. I'm really pleased with this. I'm really pleased right now with the House, I'm going to help my local congressman for 2010.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
So i kept seeing these off-hand comments about student loans, and was like, what happened? I thought the loan thing was dead in the water.

Apparently, in the sidecar going through reconciliation, that student loan reform to make the gov't directly give loans to student is in it. If that passes, that's huge! It saves so much money that frankly, I hope they just put right back into loans for students, lots more pell grants, etc. I'm really pleased with this. I'm really pleased right now with the House, I'm going to help my local congressman for 2010.

Yay! MORE GOVERNMENT YAY!

By the way, and totally not obnoxious (:lol:) are you back in the states now?

Yeah. I was essentially starving for two months, had lost 35 lbs when i wasn't fat before i left, and with my visa coming up i decided to check out.

Looking at some jobs, maybe even a salary position (shock!). but we'll see how it goes.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Yay! MORE GOVERNMENT YAY!

I think the fact that you think it's a terrible idea to eliminate a $50 billion subsidy to the banks that gets the country absolutely no benefit because the government is evil says a lot.

that really is exciting because that was a hugely popular measure in the house that got railroaded in the Lobby, i mean Senate. Apparently they have the votes in reconciliation to put it through. VERY exciting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
that really is exciting because that was a hugely popular measure in the house that got railroaded in the Lobby, i mean Senate. Apparently they have the votes in reconciliation to put it through. VERY exciting.

Turns out, the reconciliation rules wound up in some fashion requiring them to put it in, because they needed additional deficit reduction beyond what the Health care bill was providing, and there was a nice, easy, $50 billion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
Turns out, the reconciliation rules wound up in some fashion requiring them to put it in, because they needed additional deficit reduction beyond what the Health care bill was providing, and there was a nice, easy, $50 billion.

That's great, surprised it wasn't a bigger story. This would be the "major" legislation in almost any other congress.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)
As a college student...YES.

Not like it will affect me much since I've already taken out most of my loans for undergrad. It'll probably help me for law school, though.

Here's a full write-up.

http://www.quickanded.com/2010/03/one-step...k+and+the+Ed%29

i like:

While ending subsidies for lenders would clearly address the two issues outlined above, the proposed legislation produces an additional set of benefits related to default prevention. The bank-based program currently relies on a set of non-profit and state entities known as guaranty agencies to handle both preventing borrowers from defaulting and collecting loans that have not been repaid. The subsidies associated with these two activities, however, are far from equivalent. Guaranty agencies get 1 percent of a loan’s value if they keep it from defaulting, but they keep up to 16 percent of any amounts they collect on the same loan, plus collection costs that can be worth anywhere from 18 to 25 percent of a loan. Cutting guaranty agencies out of the collection role and relying on private servicers to handle default prevention is a good way to fix these issues.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
I think the fact that you think it's a terrible idea to eliminate a $50 billion subsidy to the banks that gets the country absolutely no benefit because the government is evil says a lot.

I think that the government isn't going to eliminate s*** in these costs. But you all view it as the savior of all things market related, so wallah, it must be so.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
Yeah. I was essentially starving for two months, had lost 35 lbs when i wasn't fat before i left, and with my visa coming up i decided to check out.

Looking at some jobs, maybe even a salary position (shock!). but we'll see how it goes.

Welcome back... I'm sure it's bittersweet to leave a place, but then, there's no place like home, I'd bet, after being gone that long.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
I think that the government isn't going to eliminate s*** in these costs. But you all view it as the savior of all things market related, so wallah, it must be so.

What possible benefit do you think it's actually providing now for the public?