• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
You better put all that money in from the last 8 years on your lower tax rate while you're at it.

The truth is, if I have to pay slightly higher taxes in order to enjoy the benefits and services of a government that generally acts in a responsible manner and is committed to providing a basic safety net for its constituents in need, I am completely willing to do so.

Lower taxes is not everything to me. A government that is responsive to its people is.

More Cantor stuff:

You know the implausible story Eric Cantor told yesterday about how his campaign office had been the target of a shooting incident? (His exact words were: "Just recently I have been directly threatened. A bullet was shot through the window of my campaign office in Richmond this week.")

Well, even if it weren't for the fact that Richmond police are saying the bullet was fired randomly, there would be reason to be skeptical of Cantor's claim. It turns out that it is nearly impossible to imagine that anyone ever could have figured out that the building in question housed his campaign office...because the building isn't even in Eric Cantor's congressional district, and it's not his campaign headquarters.

Instead, the building (located here) is actually in Virginia's 3rd congressional district (map here). Cantor represents the 7th.

Probably because the building isn't in Cantor's CD, it doesn't have any actual campaign posters or other markings to indicate that Cantor has an office inside it. Moreover, the building's address is not listed on his campaign website, so even if the bullet hadn't been fired randomly, it's virtually impossible to imagine how somebody could possibly have decided to target this location.

The final question is this: even if the bullet hadn't been fired randomly, even if somehow somebody figured out that Cantor had a campaign office inside this building which is not in Cantor's congressional district and is not listed on Cantor's website, then why in the world would someone who had gone through all those hoops end up firing the bullet into the wrong office? Remember, even though he has an office in the building, his office itself was not struck.

The bottom-line is this: every piece of available evidence undercuts Cantor's claim that his office had been the target of a shooting. Given that he made the claim in the context of a blisteringly partisan attack on Democrats, it shouldn't be hard to conclude that he lied. At the very least, there is essentially no evidence that he's telling the truth -- and reporters (especially the one he lied to) shouldn't be afraid to say so.

Full article with embedded links

I thought this was a funny line, from Josh Marshall:

"Cantor's claim seems to be that he was attacked by one of those Renaissance military engineers from Italy who first discovered the parabolic ballistic equations that allowed you to shoot artillery nearly straight up in the air and have it hit your enemy on the way back down."

Unf***ingbelievable

TN Man Enraged By Obama Sticker Slams SUV Into Car With 10 Year Old Child Inside

As hate radio, corporate right wing media and GOP politicians ramp up the violent rhetoric against Democrats, the nutjobs who follow them like zombies are becoming more and more unhinged and posing a threat to society. Case in point - a man so enraged by seeing an Obama/Biden bumper sticker on a car that he repeatedly rammed his SUV into it, while a 10 year old girl was inside.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A Nashville man says he and his 10-year-old daughter were victims of road rage Thursday afternoon, all because of a political bumper sticker on his car.

He said Harry Weisiger gave him the bird and rammed into his vehicle, after noticing an Obama-Biden sticker on his car bumper.

Duren had just picked up his 10-year-old daughter from school and had her in the car with him.

"He pointed at the back of my car," Duren said, "the bumper, flipped me off, one finger salute."

Once he started driving again, down Blair Boulevard, towards his home, he said, "I looked in the rear view mirror again, and this same SUV was speeding, flying up behind me, bumped me."

Duren said he applied his brake and the SUV smashed into the back of his car.

He then put his car in park to take care of the accident, but Weisiger started pushing the car using his SUV.

Duren said, "He pushed my car up towards the sidewalk, almost onto the sidewalk."

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah anecdotes of one side of the story aren't enough to give it credibility for me.

Agreed. No doubt the driver is a psycho who shouldn't be allowed to drive for a while, but I don't see anything I'd call "proof" that he did it because of the bumper sticker.

to bigsqwert

this was a comment on yglesias' blog that I laughed out loud at:

mark f Says:

March 26th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

One time a guy on his cell phone rear-ended Eric Cantor at a stop sign, so really both sides are doing it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
to bigsqwert

mark f Says:

One time a guy on his cell phone rear-ended Eric Cantor at a stop sign, so really both sides are doing it.

:lolhitting

f***ing awesome

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
“I said I had very serious concerns that Barack Obama had anti-American views. And now I look like Nostradamus," - Michele Bachmann

I think she was confused with Nostra Dumbass--but I guess there's not of Italians in MN. . .

George Bush was in Haiti with Bill Clinton. After shaking hands with Haitians, he felt the need to wipe his hand on Bill Clinton's shirt.

I don't quite know what this means, and I'm not sure if I should shake my head or laugh out loud. I really don't.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
George Bush was in Haiti with Bill Clinton. After shaking hands with Haitians, he felt the need to wipe his hand on Bill Clinton's shirt.

I don't quite know what this means, and I'm not sure if I should shake my head or laugh out loud. I really don't.

Apparently, he's a bit of a germaphobe.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
to bigsqwert

mark f Says:

I f***ing lol'd

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
“I said I had very serious concerns that Barack Obama had anti-American views. And now I look like Nostradamus," - Michele Bachmann

She also said, in so many words, the economy was 100% private before Obama took office and now it's 51% government. It seems like hardly anything she says is anything other than incoherent garbling.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)

That one hand swipe? Honestly, I think he was just being W - a friendly gesture to Bill. I'm not being sarcastic here either, I'm serious. I think that's all it was.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
That one hand swipe? Honestly, I think he was just being W - a friendly gesture to Bill. I'm not being sarcastic here either, I'm serious. I think that's all it was.

It looks awful and hilarious all at the same time.