• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, for anyone who would like to argue "the oil companies would never be foolish enough to try to get the government to pay to clean up their messes"...Dave Matthews disagrees.

ExxonMobil, Citgo, Chevron and other polluters are using a front group called "America's WETLAND Foundation" and a Louisiana women's group called Women of the Storm to spread the message that U.S. taxpayers should pay for the damage caused by BP to Gulf Coast wetlands, and that the reckless offshore oil industry should continue drilling for the "wholesale sustainability" of the region.

Using the age-old PR trick of featuring celebrity messengers to attract public attention, America's Wetland Foundation is spreading a petition accompanied by a video starring Sandra Bullock, Dave Matthews, Lenny Kravitz, Emeril Lagassi, John Goodman, Harry Shearer, Peyton and Eli Manning, Drew Brees and others.

The video urges petition signers to "Be The One" to demand the government devise and fully fund a plan to restore the Gulf. There is no mention that BP, Halliburton, Transocean, Cameron, or any other oil industry player "be the one" to pay for the damage done to the Gulf. Why call on the government to once again foot the bill for this dirty industry's reckless behavior?

Perhaps the celebrities featured in the group's videos are unaware of AWF's true intent, and signed up thinking that they were helping the Gulf Coast cause in the wake of the BP gusher. But under the surface it sure looks like they are being used as pawns to lure the public into the oil industry's corner, ensuring that taxpayers pick up the tab for much of the damage caused by BP et al to the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf Coast communities, economies, and the environment.

The celebrity video announcement leads viewers to RestoreTheGulf.com where a curious reader would learn that a group called Women of the Storm is behind the effort. But a click through to the "sponsors" page reveals that this effort is actually led by America's WETLAND Foundation, which is funded chiefly by the same oil companies who have ruined the Gulf and endangered the planet with their global warming emissions.

The America's WETLAND Foundation (AWF) was launched in 2002. It's run by the PR shop Marmillion+Company, whose founder previously served as a PR manager at ARCO and staffer to various GOPers.

According to the Washington Post: "Shell Oil, worried about its offshore drilling platforms, put up several million dollars for a PR campaign to rebrand Louisiana's marshes as 'America's Wetland.'"

A quick look at the sponsors of America's WETLAND Foundation reveals the oily underpinnings of this greenwashing campaign, with Shell serving as "World Sponsor," and a long list of oil companies, the American Petroleum Institute and other polluting interests who back the group financially as well.

Anthony Weiner Goes Ballistic At GOP For Killing 9/11 Responders Health Care Bill (VIDEO)

House Republicans late Thursday were able to corral enough votes to defeat a bill that would have provided up to $7.4 billion in aid to those sickened by toxins resulting from the 9/11 attacks.

In the process, they set off a host of fiery speeches and denunciations from their Democratic colleagues and produced a veritable YouTube moment from Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y), whose district includes many of the affected.

At the heart of the debate was a procedural maneuver made by Democrats to suspend the rules before consideration of the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act. The move allowed leadership to block potential GOP amendments to the measure (there was worry that Republicans would attach something overtly partisan in hopes that it could pass on the otherwise widely-popular measure). It also meant that the party needed a two-thirds majority vote.

When the final tally was announced, there were 255 representatives for the measure, 159 against. The defeat of the bill, which would have provided free health care to those affected during the 9/11 rescue and recovery, likely means that the court system will have to settle compensation issues.

Weiner spoke right before the vote when it was clear that Republican lawmakers would stake their opposition on grounds of procedural concerns. But for the grace of the C-SPAN cameras, he managed to stay physically behind his lectern.

"The gentleman will sit!" he declared at one point, addressing, it is believed, Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.). "The gentleman is correct in sitting!"

:headbang :headbang

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Forty-eight of President Obama’s judicial nominees await confirmation. At 60 hours per nominee, the Senate would have to spend 2,880 hours—120 entire days—to act on each of these nominations. If Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) were to cancel all recesses on August 1 and require the Senate to work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, doing nothing but considering judicial nominees, the last nominee would not be confirmed until several days after Thanksgiving—and that’s assuming that the Senate passed no bills, confirmed no other nominees, and took up no other matters for this entire period!
judicialnomschart.png

This is no way to run a government.

I really don't get how anyone can support Republicans right now. Even if you absolutely hate Obama's policies and what the Democrats want to do, the Republicans are intentionally sabotaging any effort at governance. The role of the opposition party isn't to break government.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
I really don't get how anyone can support Republicans right now. Even if you absolutely hate Obama's policies and what the Democrats want to do, the Republicans are intentionally sabotaging any effort at governance. The role of the opposition party isn't to break government.

I wish you all had felt this way from 2001 to 2009. I think I am going to start calling this thread Lies the Democrats told me, because all it is anymore is a complete revision of history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
I wish you all had felt this way from 2001 to 2009. I think I am going to start calling this thread Lies the Democrats told me, because all it is anymore is a complete revision of history.

Yeah. God d*mn those Democrats holding up so many of Bush's judges that it made it impossible for 2k5 to scroll upwards in the thread!

judicialnomschart.png

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)

hahahahahahahaha.

No, it's revisionist to say that any party at any other point has been as obstructionist as the current Republican party.

Maybe because this president is the most radical assclown president we have ever had? But whatever... ya'll keep smoking the good s***. I guess I'm racist now, because how dare I criticize such a historical president.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Maybe because this president is the most radical assclown president we have ever had? But whatever... ya'll keep smoking the good s***. I guess I'm racist now, because how dare I criticize such a historical president.

Funny because I keep thinking that Nixon was far more liberal than any President we've had in the last 30 years. But radical President, who keeps doing things like forcing Republicans to vote against their own proposals... right.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:35 AM)
Funny because I keep thinking that Nixon was far more liberal than any President we've had in the last 30 years. But radical President, who keeps doing things like forcing Republicans to vote against their own proposals... right.

History doesn't really matter to kap. The only thing that matters is that he hits his quota of stupid s*** to type for the day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
History doesn't really matter to kap. The only thing that matters is that he hits his quota of stupid s*** to type for the day.

Like I said... maybe one day, you all will realize that people matter and not just brute force on policy.

kap, maybe someday you will look back, read what you wrote in your post-post-post-post formative years and realized that your tangential vagueness wasn't insightful, and just created an atmosphere where no one, no one takes you seriously.

10 Republican Lies About the Bush Tax Cuts

NA-BH188_TAXES_NS_20100725185218.gif

So it's come down to this. On Saturday, David Stockman, the legendary Reagan budget chief who presided over the Gipper's supply-side tax cuts, announced that the "debt explosion has resulted not from big spending by the Democrats, but instead the Republican Party's embrace, about three decades ago, of the insidious doctrine that deficits don't matter if they result from tax cuts." The next day, the former Fed chairman Alan Greenspan, who famously helped sell the 2001 Bush tax cuts to Congress, declared them simply "disastrous."

Sadly, Stockman and Greenspan are just about the only voices in the Republican Party speaking the truth about the fiscal devastation wrought by the expiring Bush tax cuts. After all, the national debt tripled under Ronald Reagan, only to double again during the tenure of George W. Bush. And as it turns out, the Bush tax cut windfall for the wealthy accounted for almost half the budget deficits during his presidency and, if made permanent, would contribute more to the U.S. budget deficit than the Obama stimulus, the TARP program, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and revenue lost to the recession - combined. Of course, you'd never know it listening to the leaders of GOP.

And that's just the beginning. Here, then, are 10 Republican Lies about the Bush tax cuts:

* Lie #1: Democrats Plan Across the Board Tax Hikes on January 1st

* Lie #2: Democrats Want a $3.8 Trillion Tax Increase

* Lie #3: Tax Cuts Pay for Themselves

* Lie #4: The Bush Tax Cuts Didn't Add to the Deficit

* Lie #5: Expiring High Income Tax Cuts Will Hurt Small Business

* Lie #6: The Estate Tax Devastates Small Businesses and Family Farms

* Lie #7: The Bush Tax Cuts Helped All Americans

* Lie #8. Extending Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy is the Best Way to Stimulate the Economy

* Lie #9. Bush Tax Cuts Produced 52 Straight Months of Job Growth

* Lie #10: The Rich Pay Too Much in Taxes Already

For the details, data and charts for each, click the link