• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a good 2 paragraph summary of every bit of budget malarkey going on right now.

Californians object to increasing taxes in order to pare the state's massive budget deficit, and instead favor closing the breach through spending cuts. But they oppose cuts—and even prefer more spending—on programs that make up 85% of the state's general fund obligations, a new Los Angeles Times/USC Poll has found.

That paradox rests on Californians' firm belief that the state's deficit—estimated last week at nearly $25 billion over the next 18 months—can be squared through trimming waste and inefficiencies rather than cutting the programs they hold dear. Despite tens of billions that have been cut from the state budget in recent years, just a quarter of California voters believed that state services would have to be curtailed to close the deficit.

Disturbing news regarding the Republicans and the START Treaty.

It closes with...

So, according to Reagan's START negotiator, Senate Republicans are in agreement with Iran and North Korea in trying to obstruct this treaty? Not very good company, and yet only Sen. Lugar seems to have retained sanity in regards to our international standing and the importance of this treaty.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

Huh? I'm not sure what I read here even makes sense. They're actively negotiating with Iran and North Korea, or the fact that Iran and North Korea oppose US/Russian cooperation makes it ok to hit the Republicans by tying them to those countries?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
Huh? I'm not sure what I read here even makes sense. They're actively negotiating with Iran and North Korea, or the fact that Iran and North Korea oppose US/Russian cooperation makes it ok to hit the Republicans by tying them to those countries?

Basically says that 3 parties oppose the treaty. Iran, North Korea and Senate Republicans.

Remember all that talk about Death Panels? In order to save 4.5 million dollars, and facing a 1.5 billion dollar shortfall in the state's budget, Republican run Arizona sort of started one by rescinding previously approved organ transplants.

In Arizona, 98 low-income patients approved for organ transplants have been told they are no longer getting them because of state budget cuts.

The patients receive medical coverage through the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), the state's version of Medicaid. While it may be common for private insurance companies or government agencies to change eligibility requirements for medical procedures ahead of time, medical ethicists say authorizing a procedure and then reversing that decision is unheard of.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/11/131215308/ar...splants-at-risk

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Remember all that talk about Death Panels? In order to save 4.5 million dollars, and facing a 1.5 billion dollar shortfall in the state's budget, Republican run Arizona sort of started one by rescinding previously approved organ transplants.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/11/131215308/ar...splants-at-risk

:bang

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Basically says that 3 parties oppose the treaty. Iran, North Korea and Senate Republicans.

To be fair, I think one could find lots of people who legitimately oppose this treaty for whatever reason. Simply saying that "Iran and North Korea" disapprove and therefore we should approve it is poor logic. If Iran and North Korea were to be in favor of such an agreement on the grounds that it could potentially free up loose Soviet Nuclear Material on the black market so that they could buy it, that wouldn't make us suddenly want to block the treaty.

We should approve it because failing to do so is idiotic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
To be fair, I think one could find lots of people who legitimately oppose this treaty for whatever reason. Simply saying that "Iran and North Korea" disapprove and therefore we should approve it is poor logic. If Iran and North Korea were to be in favor of such an agreement on the grounds that it could potentially free up loose Soviet Nuclear Material on the black market so that they could buy it, that wouldn't make us suddenly want to block the treaty.

We should approve it because failing to do so is idiotic.

Yeah, it's ad hominem. It's like crazy libertarians saying public schooling is bad because HITLER! started it (even though he didn't)!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
http://www.fiscalstrength.com/

I guess there is a new anti-tea party and its a bunch of rich people who want to pay more taxes.

Their position should be common sense, but unfortunately not everyone can agree on what should be the simplest solution to help balance the budget, let the tax cuts expire.

There is nothing stopping them from doing exactly that right now. They are absolutely free to send more money to the treasury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
There is nothing stopping them from doing exactly that right now. They are absolutely free to send more money to the treasury.

I wonder how much money the Treasury actually gets that way in a given year - voluntary contributions. I know it can be done, so someone, somewhere, is probably doing it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

Mock Senate Republicans all you want because they deserve it but this comparison doesn't make any sense, who cares what Iran and North Korea think about a treaty we have with Russia to reduce our nukes to a slightly smaller number still capable of annihilating both of their countries many times over?

edit: I read the page after this one and other posters have more or less covered this

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
You know, it's really going to be interesting to see how it plays both domestically and globally when this START extension goes down.

There was an article on foreignpolicy.com the other day about this. The Kremlin isn't going to be happy about it, but they can tell the difference between Obama, Senate Republicans, and things that are done by Senate Republicans purely to undermine Obama.

This really, really isn't going to help US-Russia relations though... the thaw in relations is real, and substantive, and Republicans are willing to throw a wrench in that just to deny Obama a political victory. I bet a Republican president could've gotten 80 votes on the same treaty this summer.