The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
There was an article on foreignpolicy.com the other day about this. The Kremlin isn't going to be happy about it, but they can tell the difference between Obama, Senate Republicans, and things that are done by Senate Republicans purely to undermine Obama.

This really, really isn't going to help US-Russia relations though... the thaw in relations is real, and substantive, and Republicans are willing to throw a wrench in that just to deny Obama a political victory. I bet a Republican president could've gotten 80 votes on the same treaty this summer.

I think 80 votes would be a low end estimate.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
There was an article on foreignpolicy.com the other day about this. The Kremlin isn't going to be happy about it, but they can tell the difference between Obama, Senate Republicans, and things that are done by Senate Republicans purely to undermine Obama.

This really, really isn't going to help US-Russia relations though... the thaw in relations is real, and substantive, and Republicans are willing to throw a wrench in that just to deny Obama a political victory. I bet a Republican president could've gotten 80 votes on the same treaty this summer.

I think it's worth noting that a big part of the reason why the economic summit didn't produce any agreement between the U.S. and Korea is that the South Koreans thought there was no chance that Obama could get any economic treaty passed through the Senate even if it was signed, and so there was no reason for their government to take any political hits for signing something that would never go into effect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I think it's worth noting that a big part of the reason why the economic summit didn't produce any agreement between the U.S. and Korea is that the South Koreans thought there was no chance that Obama could get any economic treaty passed through the Senate even if it was signed, and so there was no reason for their government to take any political hits for signing something that would never go into effect.

I'm glad you think that. But it's not reality.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm glad you think that. But it's not reality.

In 2008, the Korean government endured a large wave of protests when they attempted to lift their ban on imported beef from the U.S., and that issue is one of the couple key ones on which the talks currently focus.

Wow. How the heck does this woman get elected?

(Bachmann being interviewed by BBC)

MAITLIS: You claimed that President Obama spent $200 million a day on a trip to India. It's been roundly ridiculed as a quote.

BACHMANN: Actually, I didn't claim that. I was quoting a newspaper out of India. And I only used that quote-

MAITLIS: Well why would you do that?

BACHMANN: Well number one it came out of the host country in India, a well-respected financial newspaper.

MAITLIS: And you believe that? $200 million dollars a day?

BACHMANN: Well, all I did was I quoted the newspaper. I quoted the newspaper and major national figures in the United States, many in the media had already been using that figure. [...] The reason it was so important was that the president has a two-year history of out of country spending. [...]

MAITLIS: You still believe that it was $200 million dollars a day?

BACHMANN: I didn't say if I believe it or not. What I said was a I was quoting a newspaper.

Motor Trend magazine delivers a delicious smackdown to Rush Limbaugh (and to a lesser degree, Geroge Will), over their criticism of the Chevrolet Volt being named "Car of the Year." A few choice excerpts:

... our credibility, Mr. Limbaugh, comes from actually driving and testing the car, and understanding its advanced technology ...

But, harrumph. In its attempt to force cars that don’t use much gas on us — how un-American/un-ExxonMobil/un-Halliburton is that? — the Obama administration is offering a $7,500 tax credit on the Chevy Volt, grabbing tax breaks and credits right out of the deserving, job-creating pockets of America’s richest individuals. How dare he? [...]

Maybe you’re worried that if the $7,500 tax credit works, too many people will buy the Volt, and that could reduce the need for oil drilling tax credits? [...]

You’ve made two king’s ransoms by convincing legions of dittoheads to tune into you every day. I wonder, do you ever ride in anything that’s not German or Anglo-Saxon? [...]

If you can stop shilling for your favorite political party long enough to go for a drive, you might really enjoy the Chevy Volt. I’m sure GM would be happy to lend you one for the weekend. Just remember: driving and Oxycontin don’t mix.

Seven Republican appointed federal judges sent the Senate a letter begging them to stop obstructing Obama's judicial nominations because its literally paralyzing the judicial system.

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/files/111510...9th-circuit.pdf

In order to do our work, and serve the public as Congress expects us to serve it, we need the resources to carry out our mission. While there are many areas of serious need, we write today to emphasize our desperate need for judges. Our need in that regard has been amply documented (See attached March 2009 Judicial Conference Recommendations for Additional Judgeships). Courts cannot do their work if authorized judicial positions remain vacant.

While we could certainly use more judges, and hope that Congress will soon approve the additional judgeships requested by the Judicial Conference, we would be greatly assisted if our judicial vacancies–some of which have been open for several years and declared “judicial emergencies”–were to be filled promptly. We respectfully request that the Senate act on judicial nominees without delay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
What, you think that'll make any difference? It's more likely to get those judges impeached than anything else.

Not really, I just like other than Dems/liberals people calling out the Senate Republicans for what they're actually doing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
I practice in the Northern District here and if its the same as the 9th, they can take on the extra case load. The dockets are ridiculously small for the amount of work involved.

I think the point is that blocking one half of all judicial nominees for political points is generally a bad idea, despite party affiliation.

Sarah Palin on Glenn Beck's radio show today.

CO-HOST: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea? [...]

PALIN: But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty –

CO-HOST: South Korean.

PALIN: Eh, Yeah. And we’re also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

I know its just a momentary flub. But come on!

Fox News republishes Onion fake news story on Fox Nation. As real news.

Here's a screen capture of how it originally appeared.

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/foxobamaonionsgdonotreu.jpg/

They changed it now. Now, if you know that The Onion is, you know its satire.

http://nation.foxnews.com/barack-obama/201...000-word-e-mail

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 26, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Fox News republishes Onion fake news story on Fox Nation. As real news.

Here's a screen capture of how it originally appeared.

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/foxobamaonionsgdonotreu.jpg/

They changed it now. Now, if you know that The Onion is, you know its satire.

http://nation.foxnews.com/barack-obama/201...000-word-e-mail

:lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Obama to announce pay freeze for federal employees

Somehow the GOP will find fault in this even though they're all about cutting spending.

The freeze would save $2 billion in the current 2011 fiscal year, $28 billion over the next five years, and more than $60 billion over 10 years, according to the White House. It would apply only to civilian workers.

A 10 year freeze on federal wages? :lolhitting That doesn't even start to sound like smart politics. Let alone policy.

At least I'm sure we won't hear about how the Obama administration doesn't negotiate with Republicans again, right? Because they caved on something stupid that they'd want without being asked to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I find it interesting that the message the U.S. appears to be sending around the world this week is "you can't trust us with our signatures on treaties, you can't trust our public words, and hell, you can't even trust us to keep things private".

There's some interesting stuff in this latest wikileaks.

Wikileaks release -- BBC

*Iran attempting to adapt North Korean rockets for use as long-range missiles

*Corruption within the Afghan government, with concerns heightened when a senior official was found to be carrying more than $50m in cash on a foreign trip

*Bargaining to empty the Guantanamo Bay prison camp - including Slovenian diplomats being told to take in a freed prisoner if they wanted to secure a meeting with President Barack Obama

*Germany being warned in 2007 not to enforce arrest warrants for US Central Intelligence Agency officers involved in an operation in which an innocent German citizen with the same name as a suspected militant was abducted and held in Afghanistan

*US officials being instructed to spy on the UN's leadership by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

*The very close relationship between Russian PM Vladimir Putin and his Italian counterpart Silvio Berlusconi

*Alleged links between the Russian government and organised crime

*Yemen's president talking to then US Mid-East commander General David Petraeus about attacks on Yemeni al-Qaeda bases and saying: "We'll continue saying the bombs are ours, not yours"

*Faltering US attempts to prevent Syria from supplying arms to Hezbollah in Lebanon