The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Civil Unions clear Illinois legislature

Illinois' state Senate approved legislation Wednesday that will give same-sex couples many of the same rights as married couples.

The Illinois Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act defines "civil union" as a legal relationship between two people of either the same or opposite sex.

Step in the right direction.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
What the Founders Wanted!

:facepalm:

His plan makes perfect sense. However, stipulations had to be made on what exactly constituted owning land; can't just have people buying a few feet and voting. Unfortunately, the estimated value of Mr.Judson Phillips' estate didn't qualify to our high standards and he will not be voting either. Just like George Washington would have wanted.

:usa

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
TyrannyofTime_webcharts-01.png

If the Senate spent every moment of its next 2 terms (aka through Jan 2015) confirming currently nominated individuals, it still wouldn't confirm them all, now that the "every nominee must be discussed for 30 hours" standard is being used as a weapon.

Republicans like to show that government doesn't work by actively breaking it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
TyrannyofTime_webcharts-01.png

If the Senate spent every moment of its next 2 terms (aka through Jan 2015) confirming currently nominated individuals, it still wouldn't confirm them all, now that the "every nominee must be discussed for 30 hours" standard is being used as a weapon.

My favorite part of that is the Senate having as many work days in 4 years as normal people have in about 2.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
My favorite part of that is the Senate having as many work days in 4 years as normal people have in about 2.

The term "work day" is a bit misleading. Like other directly elected representatives, they are expected to spend a considerable amount of time in the state where they were elected.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Pelosi forced a vote on extending middle class tax cuts, and decoupled tax cuts for people making over 250k.

It passed, with only 3 GOP votes saying yes.

I guess the GOP hates the middle class.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Pelosi forced a vote on extending middle class tax cuts, and decoupled tax cuts for people making over 250k.

It passed, with only 3 GOP votes saying yes.

Wait it passed? I thought they were going to have to run that as a suspension vote, so that they required 67%.

I have no idea how she pulled that rabbit out of her hat.

“I’m trying to catch my breath so I don’t refer to this maneuver going on today as chicken crap, all right?”

Frankly, he's probably got a point...this bill is likely DOA in the Senate, and it's probably the exact opposite of what the President told him 2 days ago.

Chicken crap...though...

Seems meaningless to me still. The Senate won't agree, and they'll eventually vote for a bill in the Senate that extends tax cut for the richest for at least one more year. After which this whole thing will come up again, when Democrats have even less power and the tax cut for the richest will be extended again. Am I wrong?

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
Seems meaningless to me still. The Senate won't agree, and they'll eventually vote for a bill in the Senate that extends tax cut for the richest for at least one more year. After which this whole thing will come up again, when Democrats have even less power and the tax cut for the richest will be extended again. Am I wrong?

They might be able to get a deal where START gets through the Senate, and possibly an unemployment benefits extension, in exchange for the tax cuts. One can hope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
They might be able to get a deal where START gets through the Senate, and possibly an unemployment benefits extension, in exchange for the tax cuts. One can hope.

Okay but how does that help address deficit crisis in any way?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Frankly, he's probably got a point...this bill is likely DOA in the Senate, and it's probably the exact opposite of what the President told him 2 days ago.

Chicken crap...though...

Word is Reid is planning on forcing a Cloture vote. With a second package on the table to extend tax cuts for non millionaires.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Word is Reid is planning on forcing a Cloture vote. With a second package on the table to extend tax cuts for non millionaires.

They'll strike a deal before it ever gets that far. The Senate has other things on its list to get done first. And Reid probably isn't confident that the 2nd package wouldn't win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
They'll strike a deal before it ever gets that far. The Senate has other things on its list to get done first. And Reid probably isn't confident that the 2nd package wouldn't win.

You could be right, and that's sad. But he should force cloture anyway. Let the Republicans go on record and oppose tax cuts for those making under 250k. Let them hold START hostage to give millionaires another 100 grand.

It's just too bad that Democrats are too busy standing in their own way to let the country know that's whats happening.

I really wouldn't give a s*** if he just called the Republicans' bluff and let them allow the train to crash and everybody's taxes go up. The tax cuts weren't a good idea in the first place.

No civilization in history has ever cut taxes before going to war.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
I really wouldn't give a s*** if he just called the Republicans' bluff and let them allow the train to crash and everybody's taxes go up. The tax cuts weren't a good idea in the first place.

No civilization in history has ever cut taxes before going to war.

The problem is that HIS CRONIES are still in charge and won't do it.