• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
Stay class, Christine O'Donnell.

LOL, I love the far-right's response of cheerleading tax cuts for incomes over $250k and estate tax cuts but lambasting extension of unemployment benefits for millions of Americans out of work.

It's amazing that the Democrats still manage to lose the messaging battle when this is what they're facing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
LOL, I love the far-right's response of cheerleading tax cuts for incomes over $250k and estate tax cuts but lambasting extension of unemployment benefits for millions of Americans out of work.

It's amazing that the Democrats still manage to lose the messaging battle when this is what they're facing.

It will swing back in time, just a question of when.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
The hacker group "Anonymous" has apparently crashed Mastercard's website as retaliation for Mastercard's decision to stop processing credit card contributions to Wikileaks.

They tried to take down Amazon and that was an epic fail, Amazon's servers barely noticed.

"What? A DDOS attack? It's December, we've basically had a DDOS going on nonstop for a month"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
They tried to take down Amazon and that was an epic fail, Amazon's servers barely noticed.

"What? A DDOS attack? It's December, we've basically had a DDOS going on nonstop for a month"

Yeah, I read a CNN piece on that yesterday describing the month of December as a DDOS attack on Amazon and laughed.

While we're at it...

Senate Democrats failed Thursday to win a procedural vote to open debate on a bill that would provide medical benefits and compensation for emergency workers who were first on the scene of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The motion for cloture, or to begin debate, needed 60 votes to pass due to a Republican filibuster, but fell short at 57-42 in favor.

While supporters said they would try to bring the bill up again, either on its own or as part of other legislation to be considered, the vote Thursday jeopardized the measure's chances for approval in the final weeks of the current congressional session.

The House previously passed the bill on a mostly partisan 268-160 vote.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg reacted to Thursday's result by calling it "a tragic example of partisan politics trumping patriotism."

The $7.4 billion price tag is less than 1% the price of the tax cut agreement.

By the way, Illinois, when Mark Kirk was running for office, he pledged to vote for this bill. He also voted for it while he was in the House. He is now in the Senate, and he voted to uphold the filibuster to kill the bill, on the grounds that the Senate should do nothing until the tax cut package is extended.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
While we're at it...

The $7.4 billion price tag is less than 1% the price of the tax cut agreement.

By the way, Illinois, when Mark Kirk was running for office, he pledged to vote for this bill. He also voted for it while he was in the House. He is now in the Senate, and he voted to uphold the filibuster to kill the bill, on the grounds that the Senate should do nothing until the tax cut package is extended.

seeing as that affects 300-325 million people, versus what, a thousand? I agree.

And I still don't get that first responder bill and why the federal government needs to be involved. I'm assuming it's mostly NY fireman/police officers/medical responders. If that's the case it's NEW YORK'S problem, since they are NEW YORK employees who are paid by the state of NEW YORK.

Edit: I guess the report says survivors too. But I still don't know why the federal government should be involved with this.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
seeing as that affects 300-325 million people, versus what, a thousand? I agree.

And I still don't get that first responder bill and why the federal government needs to be involved. I'm assuming it's mostly NY fireman/police officers/medical responders. If that's the case it's NEW YORK'S problem, since they are NEW YORK employees who are paid by the state of NEW YORK.

Edit: I guess the report says survivors too. But I still don't know why the federal government should be involved with this.

Really, you don't feel like the rescuers and responders after 9/11 who were exposed to that stuff were acting on behalf of the whole country, not just the state of NY? I certainly feel like they basically became volunteer members of the National Guard, to some extent, responding to a national tragedy that happened to be in a particular state.

Anyway, even beyond that I can give a good answer; because the EPA lied to the responders repeatedly and said that the conditions near the collapse site were safe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
Really, you don't feel like the rescuers and responders after 9/11 who were exposed to that stuff were acting on behalf of the whole country, not just the state of NY? I certainly feel like they basically became volunteer members of the National Guard, to some extent, responding to a national tragedy that happened to be in a particular state.

Anyway, even beyond that I can give a good answer; because the EPA lied to the responders repeatedly and said that the conditions near the collapse site were safe.

Acting on behalf of the whole country? New York citizens responding to a building collapse in New York? No, sorry, I really don't. I think the people that came afterward from all over the country were the people that were acting "on behalf of the whole country." But this is a "first responder" bill right? So that doesn't include those people.

I'm not really swayed by the EPA argument either. I'm confident that NY health officials were also saying the same thing (and if not, seeing as they're local, they should have been saying something). Either way, I don't think that automatically creates a responsibility on behalf of the federal government to pay for it.

This is a political issue. New York doesn't want to (i.e., can't) pay for it, so they're trying to get the federal government to, painting it as some attack against American heroes. I'm not buying it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
This is a political issue. New York doesn't want to (i.e., can't) pay for it, so they're trying to get the federal government to, painting it as some attack against American heroes. I'm not buying it.

And I am.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)

Many of the people who are affected by this don't live in New York and don't work in New York but came from several states around the region, including New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. Many of them also acted after the EPA declared the air to be safe in the Ground Zero area. Turns out the EPA was wrong or lying. So there is a pretty easy case to be made for federal wrongdoing here.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Many of the people who are affected by this don't live in New York and don't work in New York but came from several states around the region, including New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. Many of them also acted after the EPA declared the air to be safe in the Ground Zero area. Turns out the EPA was wrong or lying. So there is a pretty easy case to be made for federal wrongdoing here.

First responders came all the way from Jersey and Connecticut? If the bill was out of state people only I could buy it a little more. But we all know it's 99.9% New Yorkers.