• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Thanks.

Even with that, this still troubles me.

One-party consent in general, or the false pretenses?

I have no problem with one-party consent. If someone is calling me with threats or harassments, I'd want to be able to record that for evidence.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
One-party consent in general, or the false pretenses?

I have no problem with one-party consent. If someone is calling me with threats or harassments, I'd want to be able to record that for evidence.

I'd say both, and I'm sure that a one-party consent state with the laws written intelligently would make exceptions in the event of actual threats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
So, you're defending those Breitbart videos now?

Investigations are routinely carried out with some level of deceit. I don't see an ethical issue with that. The problem comes in how the results are interpreted and reported.

The Brietbart videos were heavily edited to present a certain narrative that the full tapes didn't back up. I don't know if that's the case here, but it doesn't appear to be.

Edited by StrangeSox

This is so awesome:

Gingrich, speaking at the University of Pennsylvania, was challenged by a Democratic student to square his moralistic stand on social issues with an illicit relationship he had while married in the 1990s, Politico and the Daily Pennsylvanian reported.

"You adamantly oppose gay rights . . . but you've also been married three times and admitted to having an affair with your current wife while you were still married to your second," said Isabel Friedman, president of the Penn Democrats. "As a successful politician who's considering running for president, who would set the bar for moral conduct and be the voice of the American people, how do you reconcile this hypocritical interpretation of the religious values that you so vigorously defend?"

Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller has dismissed a deputy, Jeff Cox, for posting inappropriate comments online critical of the labor union protesters in Wisconsin.

Cox sent out a message on his Twitter account saying that police should "use live ammunition" against the protesters.

via

Mich. Republicans passed some pretty awesome anti-union bills today:

The state House today passed a package of bills to grant emergency financial managers the power to toss out union contracts and fire elected officials in cities, counties, townships and school districts operating at a deficit.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110223/PO...ancial-managers

Random googling:

http://www.muninetguide.com/articles/michi...ial-woe-344.php

Municipal Bankruptcy: Not in Michigan

Unlike California and other states, struggling Michigan municipalities do not simply enter receivership and declare bankruptcy. Instead, if a local unit continues to falter, it eventually comes under PA 72, under which the governor declares a financial emergency. An emergency financial manager may be appointed who has broad authority, including the right to renegotiate contracts. “Several municipalities in Michigan have emerged from PA 72 and moved forward, including Flint and Hamtramck,” said Washington. The Village of Three Oaks will soon join them.

A local unit financial emergency can only proceed to Chapter 9, municipal bankruptcy, after a financial plan has been in place for at least 180 days, and the emergency financial manager has determined that there is no way to remedy the emergency in a timely manner. In addition, the emergency financial manager must petition the Emergency Financial Assistance Loan Board who must not disapprove the request. To date, Michigan municipalities have always avoided Chapter 9.

PA 72 if you care to read it

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Wait, you agree that income inequality is a problem?

On this scale? No, and I've never thought that. I was absolutely fine with not extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich.

Edit: in fact I was pretty pissed that Obama No Balls couldn't stand up to the GOP on that one. He caved when he had all the leverage. Well, "caved" meaning that he deliberately chose not to because he and his rich buddies would be hurt by it.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
On this scale? No, and I've never thought that. I was absolutely fine with not extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich.

I'm confused. Do you or do you not think that there is a rather large income and wealth inequality in this country? Do you or do you not think that that is a problem?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm confused. Do you or do you not think that there is a rather large income and wealth inequality in this country? Do you or do you not think that that is a problem?

I think there is yes, and I do think it's a problem. But it's not a black and white situation. If you're comparing the top earners versus the average, then yeah. If you're talking about a guy making 250k compared to the average, then no.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
I think there is yes, and I do think it's a problem. But it's not a black and white situation. If you're comparing the top earners versus the average, then yeah. If you're talking about a guy making 250k compared to the average, then no.

The problem isn't looking at a single individual and saying "$250k is too much money for you." It's about the number of people making $250k, and really, much much more than that, in the superwealthy 1% or 0.1% range that are controlling over half of the income and wealth.

Anyway, Republicans in other states seem to be willing to at least listen to what Democrats and the public workers have to say.

In Ohio, Republican lawmakers agreed to modify a bill that would have banned collective bargaining, allowing state workers to negotiate on wages. Michigan's GOP governor offered to negotiate with public employees rather than create political gridlock. Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels ® called on GOP lawmakers to abandon their "right to work" bill that would have made it a misdemeanor for an employer to require workers to become or remain members of a labor union.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1022402083.html

"If American workers are being denied their right to organize when I'm in the White House, I will put on a comfortable pair of shoes and I will walk on that picket line with you as president of the United States."

-- Barack Obama, quoted by Slate, while making a campaign speech in 2007.

Why the Hell didn't we do this to pass a carbon tax?

After much buildup in the 61-hour debate -- of Republicans wanting things to be over, and Democrats railing against Republicans who they said would cut off debate -- at about 1 AM Speaker Pro Tempore Bill Kramer ® announced that he would hear a voice vote for a roll call on final passage. Immediately, the majority Republicans shouted their ayes, and the Democrats were booing, as they tried to be recognized to demand a separate motion to cut off debate.

Then Kramer called the vote. Within seconds, the digital vote system on the wall announced 51 ayes and 17 nays, and voting was suddenly closed. With a total of 96 members, that got to a majority for the bill but left 28 members who hadn't had a chance yet to vote.

Lightning votes. Solid.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
This Sunday on the networks:

Meet the Press: Govs. Walker, Barbour; Sen. McCain, Richard Trumka, Rep. Cleaver

Fox News Sunday: Gov. Daniels, Mike Huckabee

Face the Nation: Gov. Christie

Liberal media bias!!!

So opinion shows= news? Got it..