• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting article in Forbes:

http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/...loyee-pensions/

Pulitzer Prize winning tax reporter, David Cay Johnston, has written a brilliant piece for tax.com exposing the truth about who really pays for the pension and benefits for public employees in Wisconsin.

The pension plan is the direct result of deferred compensation- money that employees would have been paid as cash salary but choose, instead, to have placed in the state operated pension fund where the money can be professionally invested (at a lower cost of management) for the future.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
This is worth pointing out:

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/articl...-rachel-maddow/

There is a real budget shortfall projected for Wisconsin, and it is not the result of Walker's tax cuts for the budget in question.

I thought only Fox News twisted facts to best fit their message?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
I thought only Fox News twisted facts to best fit their message?

I think I'm pretty harsh in general on how crappy 24 hour news is. And there's no excuse for her sloppy research. She (and others) have fumbled a similar claim in the last two days about "7 of the top 10 doners donated to Republicans," when it's really the opposite. What she's referring to is that 7 out of 10 of the top outside spending efforts went to Republicans, led by the CoC. Again, no excuse for that sort of sloppiness.

But Fox very clearly has a narrative they push and goes much, much farther than any of the other networks. They actively work to present a conservative-friendly narrative across the network. Documents have been leaked multiple times from Fox that clearly state this. They even edited video footage recently to attack Ron Paul since he doesn't fit their narrative.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)

The Wisconsin Retirement System and deferred compensation are two completely separate things. Full-time state- and local-government employees are participants in the Wisconsin Retirement System, which uses taxpayer money to fund both the state (around 5 percent of salary) and employee (another 5 percent) contributions to their pensions.

On top of that, if they choose, state employees can participate in the deferred-comp plan, where they decide how much of their money to set aside, pre-tax, and a portion is matched by the state. That is in addition to their traditional pension contribution.

All this can be found in Chapter 40 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, which clearly demarcates each program in separate subchapters. Further, the Wisconsin Retirement System is explained in detail in this paper from the Wisconsin Legislative Fiscal Bureau

Will try to post link... http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0040.pdf

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/Information...nt%20System.pdf

Edited by Cknolls

The governor of Wisconsin has ordered that the WI capitol building be cleared of protesters at 4:00 EST today.

With police planning to clear the state Capitol of protesters Sunday, some demonstrators Saturday night were preparing to peacefully resist removal from the building.

Capitol Police announced early Saturday that they intend to close down the Capitol at 4 p.m. Sunday. But little information was provided about exactly how the huge building will be cleared of thousands of protesters, some of whom have been sleeping on the marble floors since Feb. 15.

And there were several indications late Saturday that some won't walk out of the building when asked. Posters went up in several places announcing that three "non-violence training" sessions were scheduled for late Saturday night.

Also, organizers distributed instructions for those who choose to peacefully refuse to leave. Among the options listed was going limp and being carried out by officers.

"I will leave peacefully," said Neil Graupner, one of the protest organizers, Saturday. "But I can't speak for my friends."

Another protester spoke to the crowd about what to expect Sunday and how to behave.

"Don't fight with the people who carry us out tomorrow," she told the crowd. "They're not who our fight is with. It's with Scott Walker and the people who support his bill."

Some were questioning why it is necessary to remove the demonstrators. "I'd rather they keep the Capitol open," said Madison Mayor David Cieslewicz on Saturday.

Calls to the Capitol police and the Department of Administration for more information about how Sunday's removal will be handled were not returned. Joel DeSpain, a spokesman for the Madison Police Department, said the department has not been contacted about helping in the Capitol on Sunday.

Don't misconstrue me posting this as an endorsement of tactics here.

The online activist group "anonymous," which has used coordinated denial of service attacks -- a crude but effective Internet weapon -- to temporary disable sites belonging to foes ranging from Scientology to WikiLeaks foes -- has turned its firepower on the Koch-backed conservative group Americans for Prosperity, making the group's site intermittently unavailable tonight.

A public union employee, a tea party activist and a CEO are sitting at a table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11 of the cookies, turns to the tea partier and says, "Watch out for that union guy he wants a piece of your cookie."

After saying some nice things about Obama recently, Huckabee's gone down the birther road:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201103010018

During a radio appearance yesterday, Mike Huckabee repeatedly falsely claimed that President Obama grew up in Kenya. After questioning Obama's purported secrecy about the birth certificate, radio host Steve Malzberg asked Huckabee if "we deserve to know more about this man." Huckabee responded, "I would love to know more. What I know is troubling enough."

Speaking on WOR's The Steve Malzberg Show, Huckabee -- a Fox News host and potential presidential candidate -- said that "one thing that I do know is his having grown up in Kenya, his view of the Brits, for example, very different than the average American ... his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British are a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."

About the bolded, well....