• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The National Association of Pediatricians has long recommended that doctors talk to parents about potential safety issues, like having pools without fences and unlocked guns in the house.

The state of Florida of course, thinks this is a problem. Specifically, they're about to pass a law that will forbid doctors from asking patients, or parents of patients, about guns. Because if parents knew that guns could kill their kids, their response might be to have fewer guns.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
The National Association of Pediatricians has long recommended that doctors talk to parents about potential safety issues, like having pools without fences and unlocked guns in the house.

The state of Florida of course, thinks this is a problem. Specifically, they're about to pass a law that will forbid doctors from asking patients, or parents of patients, about guns. Because if parents knew that guns could kill their kids, their response might be to have fewer guns.

The irony is that the left wing has the same issue with explanations of abortions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Sounds like some Conservatives are unhappy with Common coming to the White House.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-r...0,7767809.story

Im not sure if they understand what the First Amendment is.

Yeah, cuz if the tables were turned and Bush invited a country singer who called for Obama's death we'd be preaching 1st amendment rights...GMAB. Personally I don't think it's a big deal, but it's not exactly the greatest PR move and I could see why people are questioning it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
The irony is that the left wing has the same issue with explanations of abortions.

You're comparing that to requiring a 48 hour waiting period and an ultrasound and a lecture on jesus?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Yeah, cuz if the tables were turned and Bush invited a country singer who called for Obama's death we'd be preaching 1st amendment rights...GMAB. Personally I don't think it's a big deal, but it's not exactly the greatest PR move and I could see why people are questioning it.

A couple years ago the same fox talking heads were praising common as the respectable, non horrible rapper.

I dont care what other people would be saying if a country singer sang a song about the death of Obama.

I know what id be saying, and id say if GWB wanted to invite an artist to the White House, so be it. As for the PR, it would be like saying that inviting Clint Eastwood to the White House is bad PR because he directed controversial movies or was a bad guy in a film.

Do you think the people of California are aware that one time Arnold played a Soviet police officer?

Or should we be concerned that Ronald Reagan played a mob boss?

Most people understand what art is, at least I would hope.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
I dont care what other people would be saying if a country singer sang a song about the death of Obama.

I know what id be saying, and id say if GWB wanted to invite an artist to the White House, so be it. As for the PR, it would be like saying that inviting Clint Eastwood to the White House is bad PR because he directed controversial movies or was a bad guy in a film.

Do you think the people of California are aware that one time Arnold played a Soviet police officer?

Your comparisons are ridiculous first of all.

Second, I thought it was 1st amendment concern? You honestly don't see that one President inviting an artist that was calling for the death of another President a bit problematic, regardless of 1st amendment issues? What if Obama invited a very popular, widely known anti-gay advocate? Still ok? Or not because he wasn't an "artist?"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)

Revisionistic... just a little.

If Obama invited Eminem who has gay slurs in his songs to the White House, I wouldnt care. There is a big difference between what is in a song (art) and what the person believes.

My comparison is completely valid, you are attacking an artist for the views they portray in their art.

And the only thing I said about the first amendment was that people should remember it goes both ways.

Once again I dont find it problematic at all, Common is a rapper who has a song with controversial lyrics. As long as he doesnt act on those lyrics and they are just part of art.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
If Obama invited Eminem who has gay slurs in his songs to the White House, I wouldnt care. There is a big difference between what is in a song (art) and what the person believes.

My comparison is completely valid, you are attacking an artist for the views they portray in their art.

And the only thing I said about the first amendment was that people should remember it goes both ways.

Once again I dont find it problematic at all, Common is a rapper who has a song with controversial lyrics. As long as he doesnt act on those lyrics and they are just part of art.

I hope you're just arguing to support your initial position and that you don't really believe this.

Common wrote a song that expressed strong dislike for Bush but wasn't actually advocating for his murder. And the Mumia thing mentioned in the Pajamas Media is pretty popular on the left, especially in circles concerned about racism/minority rights/corrupt police and judicial system. It's not exactly some terrible cause they support, they believe he was wrongly convicted of murder and rail-roaded largely because of his race.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
Common wrote a song that expressed strong dislike for Bush but wasn't actually advocating for his murder. And the Mumia thing mentioned in the Pajamas Media is pretty popular on the left, especially in circles concerned about racism/minority rights/corrupt police and judicial system. It's not exactly some terrible cause they support, they believe he was wrongly convicted of murder and rail-roaded largely because of his race.

Yep, and Malcolm X didn't advocate violence either. GMAFB.

Again, I personally don't care, but to ignore this as being a potential issue for the POTUS is ridiculous.

Edit: The questionable lyrics:

Use your mind and nine-power, get the government touch

Them boys chat-chat on how him pop gun

I got the black strap to make the cops run

With that happening, why they messing with Saddam?

Burn a Bush cos’ for peace he no push no button

Killing over oil and grease

no weapons of destruction

How can we follow a leader when this a corrupt one

The government’s a g-unit and they might buck young black people

Black people In the urban area one

I hold up a peace sign, but I carry a gun.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I'd never claim that Malcolm X didn't advocate violence, it'd be pretty abusrd. In fact I've linked to his "The Ballot or The Bullet" speech recently.

Common's socially conscious poem/rap there isn't advocating violence, and I'm laughing about people freaking out over it. Especially since it's the same people that puff up their chests about "second amendment solutions"

The sad part is that Burn a Bush is witty word play with the imagery of the burning bush and Moses with the 10 commandments.

He is comparing Bush to Moses, asking how can we follow Bush (like Moses) if Bush is corrupt? He then argues that the govt is trying to keep black people down (his opinion) and that while he is an advocate for peace, he carries a gun for protection.

Where have I heard that people should be allowed to carry guns for protection before? Where have I heard the message that Obama is someone we shouldnt follow.

Artists shock people with imagery for the most resonance.

You ruined it, soxbadger!

Yes, it's about the relationship between poor black communities and the police/government whom they mistrust as abusive and unjust. It's questioning the government's moral authority because they commit atrocities far worse than inner-city issues for reasons that are just as bad if not worse.

Art, especially something like political poetry, is meant to shock. It's not easily consumable and safe fluff. It's meant to make you think.