The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh, that mother had a child and quit her job to raise that child "just to collect a government check" that likely doesn't cover the cost of raising a child?

Impeccable logic.

She hit the lottery!!! What's she getting for free now? $45/week in food stamps? WOW!! I'm telling my wife to quit her great paying job to take advantage of that. The rest of you are suckers!!!

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh, that mother had a child and quit her job to raise that child "just to collect a government check" that likely doesn't cover the cost of raising a child?

Impeccable logic.

Lol, oh so you get to create facts to support your view? I get it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
So you know for a fact that this mother isn't staying home because she genuinely loves her child and wants to raise the child until it's ready for public school? You are certain that this mother is going out of her way to be a freeloader?

I'm not saying she's going out of her way to be a free loader. I am saying they are using the government program as a way for her to not have to work and stay home with the kids.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
You honestly believe someone had a baby and quit her job to get WIC stamps?

How can anyone with half a brain believe that? I'm dumbfounded. It's as if they think WIC stamps are worth $2000 per week.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
How about instead of being a condescending ass you read what the original post was about:

She had a child BECAUSE SHE WANTS A BABY!

She quit her job BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO RAISE SAID BABY!

She didn't quit her job so that she could collect WIC, she was able to quit her job and raise her child because of WIC.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm not saying she's going out of her way to be a free loader. I am saying they are using the government program as a way for her to not have to work and stay home with the kids.

Do you even know anything about the WIC program? Do you honestly think it covers much in the grand scheme of things?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Lol, oh so you get to create facts to support your view? I get it.

No, I clearly added a qualifier, you even bolded it! But if you want to insist people have babies to collect that sweet, lucrative WIC money, let me know how much it is a month, and we'll compare it with typical child cost estimates.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I am saying they made the decision knowing full well they'd probably have to use WIC.

So you're basically saying that it's a terrible idea that a mother would rather raise her child than be a full time worker.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I am saying they made the decision knowing full well they'd probably have to use WIC.

Which is substantially different from jenks' strawman which derives straight from the "welfare queen" popping out babies to collect money mythology.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Do you even know anything about the WIC program? Do you honestly think it covers much in the grand scheme of things?

You clearly do not since you think it's worth 45 a month. It pays for everything a child needs - food, diapers, formula, etc. It's not some 15 dollar a week coupon. It's a significant chunk of change that she's CHOOSING to accept because she WANTS to stay at home.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
It's a significant chunk of change that she's CHOOSING to accept because she WANTS to stay at home.

The sad thing is you actually think there's something wrong with this statement whereas a majority of people would think it's perfectly normal to want to stay home and raise their kid.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
The sad thing is you actually think there's something wrong with this statement whereas a majority of people would think it's perfectly normal to want to stay home and raise their kid.

Nothing is more noble than working to make someone else rich!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
You clearly do not since you think it's worth 45 a month. It pays for everything a child needs - food, diapers, formula, etc. It's not some 15 dollar a week coupon. It's a significant chunk of change that she's CHOOSING to accept because she WANTS to stay at home.

I have no problem supporting stay-at-home mothers or fathers in families where the spouse's income isn't enough.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)

I doubt this statement very much. Millions of people bust their asses to be able to raise their kids. They don't think it's acceptable to simply quit work and stay at home knowing that they can just sign up for some government assistance. WIC is there to help people in time of need, not just to get it as a perk because they don't feel like working and would rather stay home with their kids. Poll every parent in the country and i'm sure they'd tell you that if they could just get paid by the government to be parents they'd happily stay home with their kids all day.

Edit: I should say that I doubt that people would think it's acceptable just to not work. Not that they wouldn't want to stay at home with their kids.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

This is a tough one. Do we force an innocent child to suffer because the parents are lazy?

I dont know. Id rather that parents be responsible and have children when they can afford them, but thats like asking people to be responsible when they buy a new tv, house or whatever.

It may suck to help others (who wouldnt want the money for themselves), but I wouldnt trade my life for theirs, so I roll with the punches. Not a great answer, but a practical one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
I doubt this statement very much. Millions of people bust their asses to be able to raise their kids. They don't think it's acceptable to simply quit work and stay at home knowing that they can just sign up for some government assistance. WIC is there to help people in time of need, not just to get it as a perk because they don't feel like working and would rather stay home with their kids. Poll every parent in the country and i'm sure they'd tell you that if they could just get paid by the government to be parents they'd happily stay home with their kids all day.

Just reading this post saddens me. Honestly.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Just reading this post saddens me. Honestly.

Your mentality when it comes to spending government money saddens me. It also does not surprise me at all given that you're an extreme liberal.

Don't you think what this chick is doing is just a slap in the face to millions of Americans in her exact same position who decide to keep their job and provide for themselves?

I think Jenks has a point which some people are trying to gloss over. Everyone would love to stay at home and raise their family, who really prefers to work. The only reason I work is that they pay me to do it, if I could get paid to sit at home, I would.

The question is, why should the govt pay for people who choose not to work at the expense of the rest of us who choose to work?

Its a fundamentally sound question.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
I think Jenks has a point which some people are trying to gloss over. Everyone would love to stay at home and raise their family, who really prefers to work. The only reason I work is that they pay me to do it, if I could get paid to sit at home, I would.

The question is, why should the govt pay for people who choose not to work at the expense of the rest of us who choose to work?

Its a fundamentally sound question.

YOU COMMIE ASSHOLE! YOU JUST HATE PEOPLE THAT DON'T MAKE UNDER A MILLION A YEAR. UGH, GAWD!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Don't you think what this chick is doing is just a slap in the face to millions of Americans in her exact same position who decide to keep their job and provide for themselves?

No. Not at all.

We have a 7 week old baby. In 3 more weeks my wife's leave is up and she has to return to work. Our options are to send our 10 week old infant to daycare or get a nanny, both quite expensive, or have one of us stay home. We have grown so attached to our little girl in these last 7 weeks and know that once my wife starts going back to work it will be extremely difficult for her since she will miss our little girl.

Think about it. It will be 10 weeks of spending all of your time with your newborn that you love to death down to a couple hours a day of seeing your baby until the weekend arrives (Leave work first thing in the morning....get home by 6pm...baby in bed at 8pm). That's a huge transition that is very difficult for parents so I don't see anything wrong with one of the parents deciding to stay home to rear the child until they're ready for kindergarten. If WIC was truly such a cash cow as you claim, then my wife would easily decide to stay home and raise our little girl but it won't come remotely close to substituting her high salary and lets not pretend it could.

Edited by BigSqwert

It's the idea that you would constantly make better choices than these people eligible for government assistance. Do you really know their plan or why she's putting herself and family in that position? Probably not, you just know that you always work hard and make the right choices and they are just lazy and moochers. Being poor really, really sucks. I don't think that can be emphasized enough. 32k a year and below witha family regardless if the mom is working or not is a miserable existence that is exhausting. It's pretty easy to lose empathy with it as you move out of that bracket, see yourself as working hard, and project that other people aren't there because they are lazy.