The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
George Soros is the Democrats biggest funder?

If so...can I say that the Tea Party are all committing Treason because their biggest funder has subverted the Iranian sanctions?

Even in the story link you posted, it shows that the KOCH companies did not break the law, and in fact went above the law in ensuring that they complied with the sanctions. Foreign subsidiaries are free do just what they did, and many have, including G.E., an Obama favorite. That story could have been written with any of 50 different companies named in place of the Koch brothers, but then it wouldnt 'appear' to be as bad.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
So because it's happened before in Illinois it's now "commonplace" in Georgia? I mean I get what you're saying. This stuff happens. But you have to take this on a case by case basis. In this case there was no evidence of any coercion, just some trumped up affidavits alleging it. There wasn't even a hint of truth to those accusations, let alone proof.

FYI Illinois just released a man after spending 21 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit and a conviction that was based entirely on eye-witness testimony that was later recanted.

CAIN: I don’t have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself! [...] It is not someone’s fault if they succeeded, it is someone’s fault if they failed.
Damn, we all got lazy round 2008.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
FYI Illinois just released a man after spending 21 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit and a conviction that was based entirely on eye-witness testimony that was later recanted.

So one out of....1,000? 10,000? No one is denying mistakes are made. (See, Simpson, O.J.), but in that particular case I still don't understand why people had an issue with it. The guy was convicted from a lot of different angles and the witnesses trying to recant their testimony (20 years later) were all pretty suspect and/or it wouldn't have mattered.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
The only angle he was convicted on was witness testimony as there was no physical evidence or murder weapon.

MULTIPLE witness testimony, the majority of which dealt with his actions BEFORE even arriving at the scene (at the party, where, among other things, multiple people witnessed him in a white or yellow shirt, which corroborated his presence at the scene and as the shooter). Oh, and the testimony of him admitting it to a fellow inmate. I don't want to rehash the argument, but you have an insane and essentially impossible standard here.

I don't get why you distrust eye witness testimony and basically believe that the police coerced testimony out of these people, but apparently you're 100% convinced that the reason these people wanted to recant their testimony (again 20 years later) is totally justified and reasonable. And of course this is all ignoring that even if that testimony was recanted, much of it either 1) didn't negate or call into question the guilty verdict, or 2) wasn't the portion of the testimony that was important to the verdict.

My standard for the death penalty is impossibly high. That's a feature, not a bug. Based on the documented and studied unreliability of eyewitness testimony, I don't believe it is ever enough to sentence someone to death on its own.

I'm not convinced he was innocent. I'm not convinced their recantations were honest. I'm not convinced that they actually were coerced. But I'm even less convinced that Troy Davis was the murderer beyond a reasonable doubt.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Every time I see a picture of Herman Cain I have to decide between an uncontrollable urge to douche (despite the lack of a vagina) and bleaching my skin out of embarrassment.

How about when you see Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
How about when you see Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson?

I don't mind Sharpton so much lately but Jackson at times makes me wish I either didn't have ears or was illiterate.

Dear Person, Place, or Thing,

Did you feel it? Last Thursday, there was a shift in the space/time continuum. There have been reports of goldfish spontaneously switching gender. Dogs and cats weeping in each others' arms. The image of Federal Election Commissioner Cynthia Bauerly appearing in a tortilla in New Mexico.

Why? Because I have reached the next level and formed a 501©(4). I'll pause for a moment to allow you to applaud this email.

As you know, when we began Colbert Super PAC, we had a simple dream; to use the Supreme Court's Citizens' United ruling to fashion a massive money cannon that would make all those who seek the White House quake with fear and beg our allegiance...in strict accordance with federal election law.

And you've responded generously; giving your (or, possibly, your parents') hard-earned money in record numbers. And although we value those donations, we were somewhat surprised to note that none of them ended in "-illion."

That is why I formed the Colbert Super PAC S.H.H., a 501©(4), to help lure the big donors. As anybody who thumbs through the tax code on the toilet knows, a 501©(4) organization is a nonprofit that can take unlimited donations and never has to report the donors. This should be especially helpful considering that establishing this new 501©(4) has quadrupled our parentheses budget.

Already, we have gotten a massive donation from [NAME WITHHELD], a kind and [ADJECTIVE WITHHELD] person who only wants to [OBJECTIVE WITHHELD].

Now we are boldly and transparently entering a new era of secrecy, because as of last Thursday, we all just got one day closer to Making a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow.

XXOO$$,

Stephen Colbert

President and Assistant Custodian of the Star Chamber,

Americans For A Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Paid for by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

www.colbertsuperpac.com

Steve Jobs, Jobs-Creator

Steve Jobs was the greatest manufacturer of consumer products of his age. His marketing vision put him on par with Henry Ford, and his grasp of the aesthetic component to industrial design far surpassed Ford’s. But Jobs differed from Ford in one significant way. His surname to the contrary, he did not create a lot of American jobs.

I raise this point not to single out Jobs, whose tendency to “offshore” manufacturing jobs followed economic imperatives not of his making. He did what his contemporaries in America’s younger and more flexible manufacturing companies did. Rather, my purpose is to illustrate the perplexing failure even of one of America’s most stunningly successful companies to provide domestic employment on anything like the scale that America was once able to take for granted.

During the 1930s more than 100,000 people worked at Ford’s River Rouge plant. That’s more than twice as many people as Apple today employs in the entire world.

In 2006, according to the University of California Irvine's Personal Computing industry Center, the number of people worldwide involved in making and selling Apple’s iPod (which includes Apple employees and non-Apple employees) totaled a mere 41,170. Of those, only 13,920 were employed within the United States. The portion of that 13,920 consisting of production workers was paid decently: the U.S.-based production workers made $47,640 on average. (For production jobs in all U.S. business sectors, the average wage that year was $30,480.) But would you like to guess how many U.S.-based production workers Apple actually had building iPods in 2006, the year the total number of iPods sold jumped from 42 million to 88 million?

Oh, c’mon, guess.

A thousand? Nope, that’s too high.

Five hundred? Still too high.

One hundred? Still too high.

The U.S.-based production workers numbered 30. None of them actually worked for Apple. (They were all chip fabricators.) The iPod production workers were mainly concentrated in China (11,715) and the Philippines (4,500).

Who were those 13,920 American workers? A little less than half were professionals (mainly engineers), who made on average $85,000, and a little more than half were nonprofessionals (mainly retail clerks) who made on average $25,580. In the aggregate, Apple paid more in wages to the U.S.-based workers than it paid to its entire foreign supply chain, even though the latter constituted about two-thirds of all the workers involved in making and selling the iPod. That, of course, mainly reflects how cheap Chinese and Filipino labor is.

Again, my point is not to condemn Jobs or Apple. But I don’t mind condemning sanctimonious Republicans who insist that raising taxes on incomes above $250,000 or $1 million constitutes an assault on “job creators.” Even the most creative of America’s cutting-edge entrepreneurs simply don’t create all that many jobs anymore. If you shelter this group from paying their fair share of taxes you aren’t going to do much (if anything) to create jobs.

Ah, money laundering.

Dear Colbert Super PAC S.H.H. Elite Members (and Colbert Super PAC Coach Class),

We are excited to announce the latest ad from Colbert Super PAC, made possible with a generous donation from Colbert Super PAC S.H.H. (which is not publically affiliated with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban). The ad, "Foul Balls," takes on the greedy basketball unions with powerful narration and the most stirring stock footage we could afford. For more information, please see the enclosed press release. (Note: by reading this, you have become a member of the press. Please affix a card indicating that to your fedora.)

FOR IMMEDIATEST RELEASE

Colbert Super PAC's New Ad Goes Strong to the Rim/Airwaves

TEXAS, USA - Colbert Super PAC has released a new TV ad to resolve the lockout in the Men's National Basketball Association (MNBA). The commercial, entitled "Foul Balls," chides the players for demanding superhuman salaries merely because they possess superhuman skills.

The spot was made possible thanks to a generous contribution from Colbert Super PAC S.H.H., a completely independent nonprofit organization which does not reveal its donor, or donors, or even if said donor(s) constitute a plural(s).

"I have always enjoyed watching a few rounds of ball-in-hoop," said Stephen Colbert, President of Colbert Super PAC and Colbert Super PAC S.H.H. "But now, greedy basketball players are threatening the livelihoods of many in the MNBA: from the job-creating team owners, to the Maori basketball net weavers, to half-time mini-trampoline slam-dunk gorillas. In these tough economic times, can we really afford to pay players what they're worth?"

The new commercial began airing today in the most coveted ad spot in the nation - on the Dallas/Ft Worth's WFAA Channel 8 Midday News at Noon - right between all-new episodes of "The Chew" and "One Life to Live." Colbert Super PAC has also struck an exclusive deal with The Internet to stream the ad online - you can view it by clicking here.

Colbert Super PAC, also known as Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow, is an independent expenditure-only committee, and Colbert Super PAC S.H.H. is a 501©(4) group that protects donor anonymity. Both were founded by pundit Stephen Colbert, who has a television program called The Colbert Report, which has recently hosted such notable guests as Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Good guy.

And boom goes the dynamite.

From way downtown,

Stephen Colbert

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
15fgnwk.jpg

It amazes me we still celebrate this "holiday". Columbus wasn't first, or even the first European. And it is symbolic of one of the two most truly awful things the US orchestrated during its history. Plus Columbus' own parties under his command were brutal and murderous. Makes me ill every year that it is still used as a holiday.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
It amazes me we still celebrate this "holiday". Columbus wasn't first, or even the first European. And it is symbolic of one of the two most truly awful things the US orchestrated during its history. Makes me ill every year that it is still used as a holiday.

He was the most important, most well known and probably most influential for bringing back news of the new world. Agree with the second part, though I dunno that you can blame one group (or man) for what tens of thousands did over the course of a few hundred years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
He was the most important, most well known and probably most influential for bringing back news of the new world. Agree with the second part, though I dunno that you can blame one group (or man) for what tens of thousands did over the course of a few hundred years.

I just think that there isn't a lot to celebrate about the conquering of the Americas, except one thing: the creation of the United States. Celebrate that, I'm all for it. Celebrating a brutal man whose parties wiped out most of a civilization themselves, and then opened the door for a genocide, to me, is tasteless.

Columbus was one individual of history in a line of people who made things happen, so even from a historical perspective (leaving the moral arguments out of it), I think his importance is overblown.