The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

The president asked legislators to grant him "consolidation authority" to merge agencies that perform similar functions. If that authority is granted, Congress would be required to hold an up-or-down vote on the president's streamlining plan within 90 days of its submission.

Among other things, the president's plan would combine several agencies that focus on commerce and trade, including the Small Business Administration, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the Export-Import Bank, the Overseas Private Investment Corp. and the Trade and Development Agency.

"No business or nonprofit leader would allow this kind of duplication or unnecessary complexity in their operations," Obama told a group of business leaders and administration officials at the White House. "So why is it OK for our government? It's not. It has to change."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Holy Jesus in heaven! Obama is trying to do something I agree with! [faints]

Now do FinReg.

Fixed.

But he needs congressional authority to do it.

Good luck with that.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Fixed.

Good luck with that.

With this and his proposal to combine a few departments (commerce and something trade related), he's daring Congressional Republicans to block "common sense reforms" to make government "more efficient and more effective."

right now the re-election strategy appears to be pitting him against a do-nothing Congress.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
With this and his proposal to combine a few departments (commerce and something trade related), he's daring Congressional Republicans to block "common sense reforms" to make government "more efficient and more effective."

right now the re-election strategy appears to be pitting him against a do-nothing Congress.

He won't be running against congress in the election.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)

The sad thing is now the Republicans will paint Obama as anti-jobs and common people, just like Obama did to them, and we will all switch sides in the endless circle-jerk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
The sad thing is now the Republicans will paint Obama as anti-jobs and common people, just like Obama did to them, and we will all switch sides in the endless circle-jerk.

But republicans are anti-jobs and common people!

blog_tax_plans_small.jpg

you can throw in blaming the housing crisis and the resulting financial securities collapse on poor minorities instead of the people who made billions off of the scam, too.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Fixed.

Good luck with that.

I guess he doesn't?

The decision to bring SBA Administrator Karen Mills into the president's Cabinet does not need congressional approval. However, Obama's much broader proposal to merge overlapping agencies does -- the president appealed to Congress Friday to help make that happen.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/13.../#ixzz1jMedHYwD

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Fixed.

Good luck with that.

lol, so he is going to put Republicans in a position where they actively oppose him making the government smaller

Former Senator Chris Dodd is now apparently the CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America (pro-SOPA).

Former Sen. Chris Dodd, the CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, called today's protests "an abuse of power."

"It’s a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests," his statement said

Pretty funny to see the head of the MPAA whine about others doing things to "further their corporate interests."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
This has to be sarcasm... right? You are aware he hasn't stopped either... right?

The WH issued a statement saying that they oppose SOPA and PIPA.

The Obama administration will also be rejecting the Keystone pipeline. The interesting twist here is that Republicans inadvertently killed the project by forcing a quick decision since the current route is opposed in Nebraska and not enough time was left to approve an alternative.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
The WH issued a statement saying that they oppose SOPA and PIPA.

The Obama administration will also be rejecting the Keystone pipeline. The interesting twist here is that Republicans inadvertently killed the project by forcing a quick decision since the current route is opposed in Nebraska and not enough time was left to approve an alternative.

1. As I just said, he hasn't stopped either, and you proved it.

2. What is really going to go on with SOPA and PIPA, as I am sure you realize, is that they will be re-worked. Nothing is being killed.

3. As far as Keystone goes, I will be surprised if ObamaCo does indeed outright reject it. But I could be wrong on that one, we will see.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
1. As I just said, he hasn't stopped either, and you proved it.

2. What is really going to go on with SOPA and PIPA, as I am sure you realize, is that they will be re-worked. Nothing is being killed.

I was providing context for what I assumed SOXOBAMA was referencing. And you're right that this will likely just be re-tooled into a slightly less awful bill. I'd agree that Obama did not stop this but that the massive tech/internet industry push-back did. Which says something very troubling about our democracy, but I digress...

3. As far as Keystone goes, I will be surprised if ObamaCo does indeed outright reject it. But I could be wrong on that one, we will see.

The article states that the State Department will reject the pipeline's currently proposed route at 3PM EST today. They could still work out an alternative down the road. He's required to make a decision prior to the State of the Union address.

Killing both SOPA/PIPA and Keystone would be great things, but I doubt that they'll happen 100%.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

With the way the law is currently structured, the Republicans actually made it illegal for them to approve it.