The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I think it would be smart for people who want to vote, to just go to the appropriate government office, and register. I wouldn't trust some door-to-door vote registrar any more than I'd trust a door-to-door salesman.

The first time I registered to vote was in 2000, I was 18, and there was a guy soliciting people to sign up outside my high school graduation on 70th and Michigan.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
So why don't they change the way they do their voter registrations?

Because it works. If 1% come back spoiled, but you register an extra 5 million people, you've produced 50,000 fraudulent applications but you've registered 4,950,000 new voters. Then, what happens...99% of those spoiled ones get caught in the offices that process the registration forms, and then the rest...no one actually shows up to use them because it's a crime to vote twice or to vote under someone else's ID.

Another worthy thing to point out is that at least in a good number of states, Not sure about all of them, ACORN is actually required by law to turn in any application it is given, regardless of whether or not they believe information on them is faulty. Typically they will actually make some effort to filter out ones they believe to be fraudulent on their own and tell the people they give them to "These are questionable", but if you fill out a form with the name "Joe Crede" on it, and hand it in, they're actually required to submit it.

Crowd Boos McCain for defending Obama:

A man in the audience stood up and told McCain he's "scared" of an Obama presidency and who he'd select for the Supreme Court.

"I have to tell you. Sen. Obama is a decent person and a person you don't have to be scared of as president of the United States," McCain said as the crowd booed and shouted "Come on, John!"

"If I didn't think I'd be a heck of a lot better, I wouldn't be running for president of the united states."

A woman at the town hall asks softly: "I've heard that Sen. Obama is an Arab."

McCain quickly cuts the woman off.

"No, maam. He's a decent family man and citizen," McCain says. "He's not. Thank you."

He probably should have added "he's a christian" since that is probably what she was implying, but I'll take it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
Crowd Boos McCain for defending Obama:

He probably should have added "he's a christian" since that is probably what she was implying, but I'll take it.

I think its interesting that McCain seems to think that Arab and good family man/citizen are mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
I think its interesting that McCain seems to think that Arab and good family man/citizen are mutually exclusive.

uhhh, the Democrats have been saying that claims that Obama is a Muslim is a smear. The Democrats have repeated over and over that Obama is not Muslim, as if all Muslims are terrorists.

change the religion here and you tell me how it sounds:

"These smears on Obama are false, Obama is not a Muslim"

"These smears on Obama are false, Obama is not a Jew"

The Democrats seem to think Muslim and good person are mutually exclusive.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
uhhh, the Democrats have been saying that claims that Obama is a Muslim is a smear. The Democrats have repeated over and over that Obama is not Muslim, as if all Muslims are terrorists.

They are almost forced to say that. They know that the republicans are saying that he is a muslim to scare people. When they mention he is a muslim, it's usually followed by "he knows a terrorist".

Terrorist and muslim are often used by the republican party in the same sentence or same speach.

That and he's not muslim. So it's a lie.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
They are almost forced to say that. They know that the republicans are saying that he is a muslim to scare people. When they mention he is a muslim, it's usually followed by "he knows a terrorist".

Terrorist and muslim are often used by the republican party in the same sentence or same speach.

That and he's not muslim. So it's a lie.

oh i see, it's ok to imply all Muslims are terrorists because the eeevvilll republicans MAKE them do it.

of course, silly me

well this is enough for me in the dem thread i will leave you all to your discussions.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
oh i see, it's ok to imply all Muslims are terrorists because the eeevvilll republicans MAKE them do it.

No, unfortunately we live in a society were many are PETRIFIED of Muslims. Some for religious reasons, some who think they are terrorists. Like it or not, that is a fact.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)

I haven't seen anyone else in either party make a statement like those above. But if they did, then yes, that's also a little disturbing. I could give less of a s*** who said it, its a little disturbing.

Seriously, if I point out something that McCain did wrong, why is it I get lambasted about something Obama may have done? Did I even mention Obama? I didn't even say it was some huge deal.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)

of course, silly me

well this is enough for me in the dem thread i will leave you all to your discussions.

Why do you think repulicans keep asking if he's muslim or bring up the muslim stuff? Cause they are just curious? Are they doing his profile for Myspace?

They know that to a lot of people in this country muslim = terrorists.

All of this stuff. The Bill Ayers stuff, His middle name, Is he a muslim. It's all to make people feel fearful.

Edited by GoSox05

Hmm

So I hear (via a prominent member of the sane Republican faction) that the word on the right side of the street is that the Republican National Committee is about to pull the plug on its joint ads with the McCain campaign, and devote its resources instead to trying to save a couple of the senators who are at serious risk of losing their seats. Now this is gossip, albeit of the high class variety; take it with the requisite pinch of salt. But it points to some real vulnerabilities in the McCain campaign’s finances. McCain’s decision to opt for public funding has meant that he’s had enormous difficulty competing with the Obama money raising machine. He’s been able to partly compensate by co-financing ads with the RNC (this skirts the limits of the legislation that he himself co-wrote but is just about legal). This has kept him competitive in TV advertising, albeit still significantly outgunned. But if the Republicans are as worried as they should be about the impending elections, there will be a lot of calls on that money, and the RNC is going to have to make some tough choices. Should it keep spending money on the presidential campaign in the hope that McCain will win despite the polls, or should it instead try to minimize the damage of a McCain defeat by doing its best to stop the Democrats from making big gains in the Senate? Decisions, decisions …

well, this is a rather oddly worded prayer:

The Iowa Independent reports that the invocation, delivered before McCain arrived at his Davenport event today, suggested Obama was the candidate of the non-Christian faiths.

“I would also pray, Lord, that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions of people around this world praying to their god—whether it’s Hindu, Buddha, Allah—that his opponent wins, for a variety of reasons," said the minister delivering it. "And Lord, I pray that you will guard your own reputation, because they’re going to think that their God is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you will step forward and honor your own name with all that happens between now and election day."

Heh

Dear Old Golden Dog Days

By GAIL COLLINS

Published: October 10, 2008

I miss the good old days. Remember when the presidential campaign was all about oil drilling? That sure was fun.

I miss August. August was neat. The Dow was over 10,000 and nobody had ever heard of Sarah Palin.

Remember how we used to joke about John McCain looking like an old guy yelling at kids to get off his lawn? It’s only in retrospect that we can see that the keep-off-the-grass period was the McCain campaign’s golden era. Now, he’s beginning to act like one of those movie characters who steals the wrong ring and turns into a troll.

During that last debate, while he was wandering around the stage, you almost expected to hear him start muttering: “We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious.”

Remember when McCain’s campaign ads were all about his being a prisoner of war? I really miss them.

Now they’re all about the Evil That Is Obama. The newest one, “Ambition,” has a woman, speaking in one of those sinister semiwhispers, saying: “When convenient, he worked with terrorist Bill Ayers. When discovered, he lied.” Then suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, she starts ranting about Congressional liberals and risky subprime loans. Then John McCain pops up to say he approved it. All in 30 seconds! And, of course, McCain would think it’s great. For the first time, the Republicans appear to have captured his thought process on tape.

The Republican campaign strategy now involves sending their candidates to areas where everybody is a die-hard McCain supporter already. Then they yell about Obama until the crowd is so frenzied people start making threats. The rest of the country is supposed to watch and conclude that this would be an enjoyable way to spend the next four years.

Maybe the Republicans should have picked somebody else. I miss Mitt Romney. Sure, he was sort of smarmy. But when Mitt was around, the banks had money and Iceland was solvent. And, of course, when we got bored, we could always talk about how he drove to Canada with his Irish setter strapped to the car roof.

I miss the old George W. Bush. When he came out of the White House and made an announcement, you would usually think that whatever he wanted to do was a terrible idea. But at least you thought he could actually make the terrible idea happen.

I miss the old American public that was too busy shopping to worry about the state of the world. Now everybody is getting scared and weird. They’ve been racing off in great numbers to see “Beverly Hills Chihuahua.” And nagging Target to take the Little Mommy Cuddle ‘n Coo dolls off the shelves because people think that when it gurgles you can hear the baby say “Islam is the light.”

I miss the old Cindy McCain. The one who used to go to rallies and sit huddled in the corner looking as if she thought the audience had a communicable disease. Now, she’s right up there on stage, standing behind her husband and making disgusted faces when he rails on about the opposition. And she’s started railing herself. (The family that rants together ...) Obama is waging “the dirtiest campaign in American history.” His votes on Iraq were votes “not to fund my son when he was serving.”

Remember when the McCains wouldn’t talk about the fact that their son was in Iraq? Oh well.

Maybe Cindy is trying to hold her own against Sarah, who is with John almost as much as she is. I miss the old guy-guy McCain who had so many male pals around he looked like a walking fraternity reunion. Now, he’s starting to resemble an ambulatory patient accompanied by female attendants on an outing.

Palin has been pressing the line that people don’t really know “the real Barack Obama,” and who could make the argument better than a woman who we’ve already known for almost six weeks? Really, she’s like one of the family.

We’ve gotten so close we’ve already learned that she didn’t actually sell the plane on eBay, didn’t actually visit the troops in Iraq and didn’t really have a talk with the British ambassador. As soon as we get the Trooper thing and Alaska Independence Party thing and the tax thing figured out, she’ll be an open book.

And she’s got a point about Obama. True, he’s been campaigning for 19 months and has been interviewed by everybody from “Meet the Press” to “Men’s Health.” Which would be O.K. if we were talking about somebody from a small town rather than, as a McCain campaign co-chairman noted delicately, a “guy of the street.”

Back in August, women politicians were afraid of going negative because it might have made them look too strident. Amazing, the things you wind up being nostalgic for.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)

And when another questioner said he couldn't trust him because "he's an Arab," Sen. McCain took the microphone from her and said, "No, ma'am: no ma'am. He's a decent family man, citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that's what this campaign's all about. He's not."

Wall Street Journal article

By the way, McCain is now Robocalling Iowans saying McCain came running to Iowa to survey the damage while Obama and Congress took a vacation. And by the way, it's FEMA's job to help flood victims, not congress.

I guess he forgot the part where he came to Iowa AGAINST the wishes of state officials who didn't want Obama or McCain's large entourages to interfere with flood relief.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
By the way, McCain is now Robocalling Iowans saying McCain came running to Iowa to survey the damage while Obama and Congress took a vacation. And by the way, it's FEMA's job to help flood victims, not congress.

I guess he forgot the part where he came to Iowa AGAINST the wishes of state officials who didn't want Obama or McCain's large entourages to interfere with flood relief.

I'm pretty sure most Iowans realize neither candidate did much of anything.

This is pretty funny, at a Palin rally yesterday, a man in the audience had a monkey doll with an Obama bumper sticker hat (yes, the black man is a monkey thing). When he realized he had been caught on camera, he quickly took off the "hat" and give the monkey to a child and ran away. CLASSY!

Watch CBS Videos Online

PS: my apologies if it plays a :30 commercial before the video.

"This is Little Hussein"

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
This is pretty funny, at a Palin rally yesterday, a man in the audience had a monkey doll with an Obama bumper sticker hat (yes, the black man is a monkey thing). When he realized he had been caught on camera, he quickly took off the "hat" and give the monkey to a child and ran away. CLASSY!

Watch CBS Videos Online

PS: my apologies if it plays a :30 commercial before the video.

"This is Little Hussein"

Some real class acts at these Palin rallies. She needs to come out and say something. Otherwise I would guess she approves of it.