• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
He should have withdrawn already. Word is he will by tomorrow, no doubt because I thought I read that tomorrow is the last day to replace a candidate and still be eligible to be on ballot. Horrible statement to make. Maybe we should throw him in general pop and ask him a week later his opinions about rape.

Todd Akin just now on Mike Huckabee's radio show: "I want to make things absolutely clear: we are going to continue this race for the United States Senate."
He has about 2 hours to change his mind before the official deadline to withdraw while having a substitute name on the ticket. He seems to be remaining in the race.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
No one talks about Afghanistan, except for http://news.yahoo.com/americans-tune-afgha...-185225577.html

Americans tune out Afghan war as fighting rages on

they tune it out because it gets barely any news coverage. Most people probably think that war is over.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Or its the story doesnt sell anymore, so they are putting out a story that does sell.

Corporations are in the business of making money.

the story would make just as much money now as it did then.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
they tune it out because it gets barely any news coverage. Most people probably think that war is over.

Most people are stupid. I dont care about most people. Why are we relying on private corporations to educate us? Shouldnt it be up to US citizens to care about their country and become educated?

The news is free to do what it wants, its capitalism. If you want your news filtered, there is always China.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
the story would make just as much money now as it did then.

No it doesnt, as the Yahoo article said, people are apathetic to the war.

American's like things where the US wins. They forget about things that make the US look bad.This isnt rocket science.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Most people are stupid.

well they aren't as smart as you, that's for sure.

The news is free to do what it wants, its capitalism. If you want your news filtered, there is always China.

Of course it is free to do what it wants. And I am free to criticize and mock their claims of being unbiased.

No it doesnt, as the Yahoo article said, people are apathetic to the war.

there are a lot of important issues that are under/not reported on that people are apathetic too. just the nature of media and societal focus i suppose.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
Of course it is free to do what it wants. And I am free to criticize and mock their claims of being unbiased.

Everyone has bias, but its unlikely a huge conspiracy.

Bias comes from individual humans, if there is bias in the media community it is merely because people in the media community are like minded individuals and therefore likely have similar beliefs.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:26 AM)

Unfortunately it's too expensive for them to cover.

What is this I don't even

Sharon Barnes, a high ranking state Republican, came to the defense of her conservative colleague who she believes only "phrased it (his statement) badly."

Barnes was quoted by The New York Times saying, "abortion is never an option." Barnes went on to biblically claim that, "If God has chosen to bless this person [the rape victim] with a life, you don’t kill it."

Turn that frown upside down! That rape was a blessing from God!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Religion poisons everything.

I'm more inclined to think that stupidity poisons everything and that religion is used, more often than not, as post hoc justification for beliefs and not the source of those beliefs.

for an example of some hilarious stupidity, check out the latest from NRO!

http://wonkette.com/481728/nro-ladies-shou...-made-obama-gay

“From an evolutionary point of view,” harrumphs Kevin Williamson of the National Review Online, “Mitt Romney should get 100 percent of the female vote. All of it. He should get Michelle Obama’s vote. You can insert your own Mormon polygamy joke here, but the ladies do tend to flock to successful executives and entrepreneurs.” But why is this? Because Mitt Romney is super-rich, you guys (we don’t know if you have heard), and women select for status, and evolutionary biology proves that high-status animals produce more males and Mitt Romney has five sons — Tagg, Dack, Tupper, Tyrone and T’Nesho — while Barack Obama has two daughters, because his semen has sparkles in it and smells like Elizabeth Arden. Oh, sorry, here is your actual quote:

Professor Obama? Two daughters. May as well give the guy a cardigan. And fallopian tubes.

Haha, Obama has daughters! What a f**!

Let us block-quote, brothers and sisters, just to ensure we are not taking Herr Williamson out of his proper context!

You want off-the-charts status? Check out the curriculum vitae of one Willard M. Romney: $200 million in the bank (and a hell of a lot more if he didn’t give so much away), apex alpha executive, CEO, chairman of the board, governor, bishop, boss of everything he’s ever touched. Son of the same, father of more. It is a curious scientific fact (explained in evolutionary biology by the Trivers-Willard hypothesis — Willard, notice) that high-status animals tend to have more male offspring than female offspring, which holds true across many species, from red deer to mink to Homo sap. The offspring of rich families are statistically biased in favor of sons — the children of the general population are 51 percent male and 49 percent female, but the children of the Forbes billionaire list are 60 percent male. Have a gander at that Romney family picture: five sons, zero daughters. Romney has 18 grandchildren, and they exceed a 2:1 ratio of grandsons to granddaughters (13:5). When they go to church at their summer-vacation home, the Romney clan makes up a third of the congregation. He is basically a tribal chieftain.

Professor Obama? Two daughters. May as well give the guy a cardigan. And fallopian tubes

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
I'm more inclined to think that stupidity poisons everything and that religion is used, more often than not, as post hoc justification for beliefs and not the source of those beliefs.

you're exactly right. it's the stupid folk who cling on tight to religion, thus it seems that religion makes folks stupid, when really it's the other way around.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I've seen you link them several times--do you post over there?

Nope, I just read it a bunch. Since I started law school a year ago, I've wanted to stay somewhat abreast of current legal issues. Even though it has a slant (libertarian) I don't agree with most of the time, it's still pretty thoughtful, and a great place to just get legal news. One of my professors used to post there, too, and we'd mention it in class a few times.

EDIT: I'm referring just to the blog posts themselves. The comments seemed to be more intelligent before they moved over to the new system, but that's just my impression from a small sample size.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
Frankly, I didn't have time to read the article yet, so I have no idea if the title is an accurate representation (nor do I think it's an accurate portrait of the GOP), but...I love any headline that says Texas Judge Warns of Civil War if Obama Re-elected

The Wonkette version is funny

UN Shock troops coming to take over Lubbock, Texas!

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Nope, I just read it a bunch. Since I started law school a year ago, I've wanted to stay somewhat abreast of current legal issues. Even though it has a slant (libertarian) I don't agree with most of the time, it's still pretty thoughtful, and a great place to just get legal news. One of my professors used to post there, too, and we'd mention it in class a few times.

It's gotten more political since the run-up to and fallout from the ACA decision, particularly with Zywicki and Bernstein. But other than those two, it's one of my daily reads.